1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Newbie Question - Connectivity

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Ravbo, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Ravbo

Ravbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I have a Panasonic PW7 and am running Scart to a VGA converter box. I bought an Xbox on Saturday and just realised that with this current configuration, I get no image on the screen. Could one of you guys walk me through what I need to get this up and running? There just seem to be so many solutions, but nothing precise enough for me to make a decision on how this can be achieved. Ideally, I'd like to run through VGA directly and sound over optical or RCA. I do not have any other interfaces on the plasma other than the VGA. I also do not possess a crt to do any configurations on the xbox. Please help. :lease:

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Are you using the dodgy cables you got with the xbox? ie. the composite plugged into a little scart converter. If so the signal will not be RGB and won't be convertable to VGA. If you still want to go this route you can use the Advanced Scart cable, which has RGB scart and an optical out.

I honestly would have thought I'd be better off going the Highdef route i.e. component cable & optical out. See FAQ & search for more info on this..

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ravbo - I know nothing about XBox but do about plasmas and VGA converters - if it's the type that converts RGB to VGA the reason you'll be getting no picture is that the XBox is outputting composite and the converter therfore can't convert it. The only way to solve this if you don't have a CRT or other screen capable of taking composite is to use a mate's TV to re-set the XBox output to RGB and then take it back to your own set up.

Simon

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
  5. Ravbo

Ravbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Advanced Scart did the trick. I picked up an OEM'ed cable from GAME. I initially ended up with Green screen, but after moving the cable to the VHS scart port on my Sky+, everything went beautifully. Master Chief never looked so bad (meaning good)!!!

Thanks all,

Rav

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Glad to hear it :) He'd look even better in 480p ;)