• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox NEWBIE! question about Xbox Live Gold

AdieJ

Hi all,

I am a huge gamer and currently enjoying the PS3 and PS4 offerings and not to forget the fab Wii U! (which in my mind will go down as same as the dreamcast as one of the best consoles with game line up and no one bothered with!)

Anyway - thats me, and here is my question:

I have a 7 year old son who we are buying him an Xbox One for his bedroom so he can play Minecraft etc with his friends.

I have phoned microsoft help line and they have given me 3 different answers.

We have a bundle with EA access on and also Halo 5 for myself!

My question is:

How does Xbox Live Gold work if we have my son as the main account holder and use his real age, will this also restrict me when I create a username/gamertag for paying games like Halo etc (as in will his age on the main account block me as an adult on playing online for Halo 5 etc)

or do I register myself as the main account holder so I have parental permissions on the console.

If I do set myself up as the main - can i set his account to YES so he can play Fifa 2016 online? as this is also age restricted as he is only 7 coming to 8.

I want him to be able to play certain games online like Plants vs Zombies!

Also I want him to be able to access all of EA access games as he loves sports and he wants to play basketball, football etc all online but his age is restricting him.

ps, we will 100% supervise his gaming also.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian Hughes

AdieJ

ps,

my answer from microsoft on the phone and also text online chat was I need to buy 3 x xbox live and 3 copies of each game we want to go online with!

reecie

Be easier to set your self up as the main account (and bill payer) imho. Any other account on the console will get access to the games and live in it anyway so you only need a single copy. Up to you then how you then set up his account regarding age restrictions.

Have a look in the Xbox One section mainly this bit: Game Sharing on Xbox One?

Have a look at the recent post from x3j3UKN he has just solved this and managed to game share between two accounts.

So you need one Xbox One, One Xbox live account, one main account (being you). Download everything on this account and then set your sons account up as a child and the add it to your family.

You can then set that he won't be able to buy any dlc or games unless you approve it and you can approve him playing any game.

Oh you can pick up a live sub from CD Keys ;)

AdieJ

Thanks guys !...brilliant.

I was a little disappointed in the help Microsoft gave me, i knew AV forums clan will know!

So even though his age will show as 8 I can give him access to play online on plants vs zombies and fifa, they won't say NO to him?

Sad099

Hi.
No they won't say no.
I have a similar setup as outlined above and give my daughter permission to play games (she is 9) she likes to play titanfall

Paul Mela

For game sharing the way I've set up my house is we have one Xbox one downstairs and one in my boys room. The one in my boys room is set as the home Xbox and both of them have my Live account and my sons. Now whenever I download a game a copy will appear on my sons Xbox and vice versa.

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
For game sharing the way I've set up my house is we have one Xbox one downstairs and one in my boys room. The one in my boys room is set as the home Xbox and both of them have my Live account and my sons. Now whenever I download a game a copy will appear on my sons Xbox and vice versa.

The OP only has ONE xbox though...

OP you want to create a main gamertag for yourself so you can play the likes of Halo 5 etc.

You then create your sons account, and make sure to lock it down and require password/pass code for everything. (i've done this with my son's console , he's 7)

You may want to require a password to sign into your account incase you aren't around too.

One gold sub covers all Accounts on a console. (redeem it on your account)

Paul Mela

The OP only has ONE xbox though...

OP you want to create a main gamertag for yourself so you can play the likes of Halo 5 etc.

You then create your sons account, and make sure to lock it down and require password/pass code for everything. (i've done this with my son's console , he's 7)

You may want to require a password to sign into your account incase you aren't around too.

One gold sub covers all Accounts on a console. (redeem it on your account)

Teach me to only read the question once..:)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom