1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox MS Hi-def Does this improve dvd playback?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by just wondering, Jul 27, 2005.

1. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Xbox MS Hi-def Does this improve dvd playback?

i'm quite excited about using the MS Hi-def pack , my xbox is suitable for the kit , but i'm wondering , will the dvd playback also be improved ? via this cable ?

and is it worth buying the MS hi-def pack or the more expensive http://www.x2vga.com/ ??????

TIA

2. marc.williams

marc.williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you have an NTSC xbox AND NTSC games the X2VGA is a waste of money. Hi-Def will not work with DVDs on the Xbox

Wait for the 360 if you want Hi-Def. Stick to RGB for the near future.

One of microsoft great ideas: Progressive Scan is not to PAL standard :suicide:

Regards, Marc

3. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Marc , thank you for your reply , my xbox is set to ntsc mode , so i'm okay there , so via a hi def kit , will the xbox not display dvd movies ?????? i was hoping to gain some more info on how to make the xbox progressive scan for the dvds.

4. marc.williams

marc.williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just doesn't work for DVDs and I think that is true for NTSC machines too. I researched it a while back and still bought a component/vga converter. I softmodded mine and put it in Progressive Scan mode, the colours were awful and the screen was blurred.

Ok the PAL xbox can output in NTSC but the software in this country just isn't coded for it.

Well you know what NTSC stands for...
    Never twice same colour. :D

On the brighter side the PS2 can't output DVDs in RGB !!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Wrong! Most PAL games are capable of outputting at least 480p & some do 720p as well e.g. THUG2 The image quality on a large monitor is fantastic. Other applications like XBMC are also rendered in HiDef. Of course you box must be modded enough to switch to NTSC.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    If you had used a proper converter you would not have been disappointed. The X2VGA is a quality piece of kit also the Microsoft HiDef component kit for connecting to HDTV is great. Games projected at 720p onto a 10 foot screen look fantastic. By all accounts non-MS HiDef kits are not of the same quality.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Doesn't the xbox only output vid on 480i?

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Not when switched to NTSC & used connected to either an X2VGA+ or the HiDef component output kit. There is no end of discussion in this forum on the subject e.g. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199971

9. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    XBMC and Avalaunch can upscale DVD to 1080i looks really good for a £100 player. :thumbsup: Although XBMC does not support menus as yet.

10. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I went searching for info on this last week. I spent ages & eventually found quite a bit (See below).

Basically I'm really impressed, sure everything is in 480P mode but I've not seen any judder on PAL stuff & the pic quality on my 32" LCD is very nice !

Here you go then, its not all in the right order but I'm sure you'll work it out (setup FTP, backup original file, find hex values, replace hex values) - Enjoy!

Please note if you eff it up dont blame me !

These hex edits will display the original ms xbox dashboard/dvd remote playback, and dvdx-2 dongle free dvd in progressive scan:

For the original ms xbox dashboard, open xboxdash.xbe in a hex editor:

Search for: C7 46 28 20 00 00 00
    Replace with: C7 46 28 40 00 00 00, for progressive only
    Replace with: C7 46 28 00 00 00 00, for auto selection; this auto switches to progressive scan when your hooked up to a progressive enabled monitor, or it will do interlace when hooked up to a interlace only tv. IMO, this is the best one.

For dvdx-2, open its default.xbe:

Search for: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 04
    Replace with: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 05 (progressive only; no auto-select)

When typing in the hex values to search for, try typing in the values without the spaces, if you are having trouble finding the strings. For example: for the ms dash, search for C7462820000000.

These two hex editing strings are independent of one another; you can just hex edit for ms dash for progressive, or just the dvdx-2 for progressive, or have both of them hex edited for progressive.

The dvdx-2 hex values are only for dvdx-2, not dvdx-1. Dvdx-1 is just a patch for the original ms dashboard/remote dvd playback that enables region free dvd. It's progressive hex values are the same thing as the original ms xbox dashboards.

Make sure you make a backup copy of your original xboxdash.xbe, and progressive hex edit the copy. Then after your done hex editing it call it something like pxboxdash.xbe. Then put both the original xboxdash.xbe, and the progressive hex edited pxboxdash.xbe back in the root of your c: drive. And change the xboxdash.xbe, in your evox.ini to pxboxdash.xbe, so it will recognize it. Having both the original xboxdash.xbe, and the pxboxdash.xbe in your c: drive will allow you to turn off your mod chip; the original bios will only recognize the the original, unmodded xboxdash.xbe. So, you'll be able to play on xbox live when the chip is turned off.

Also, the evox dashboard is already progressive enabled, so you don't have to do anything with it.

Easy FTP connection with two ethernet cards.. '

The first and foremost thing you need to know, is what a crossover cable is...

if you dont look it up..

I use flashfxp, it is also possible to use the original internet explorer.

First, i am using XP home.
    on the "start menu", click the "connect to", click show all connections. Click on the "connection" connected to your ethernet modem. Right click, choose properties. Choose configure. Choose advanced, put value to "100 full mode", click "ok". Then right click on that same connection again, choose properties, choose advanced. "Check" both for internet connection sharing.

Second,
    Right click on the card that is connected to your XBOX via the crossover cable. Click properties, Highlight "internet Protocol(tcp/ip)". Choose properties, (I set mine with the default gateway that was given from EVOX settings for the IP)Insert the IP given from EVOX settings, and the subnet mask, in the same window, leave default gateway blank...
    Mine looks like-
    IP:192.168.0.1 (not .0.3) which is given as the default IP from EVOX version +3935
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Then your all set.

Passwords and username are usually required, you can edit these through settings in EVOX, or what Dashboard you're using.

They're usually, xbox:xbox

To connect using the internet eplorer use this address and customize according to your address:ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.3
    On this address the trick is to use your original IP given by Evox and leaving, the IP on your connection settings to your default on EVOX..

you shouldn't need more help with this...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Progressive Scan DVD to dashboard & DVDRegionX2
    >> This thread on the xboxhacker.net BBS explains how to install DVD Progressive Scan on your Xbox :

Both. I've got the Microsoft dash running in progressive and DVDX2 as well. DVDX2 is the way to go, as the Microsoft DVD kit doesn't work well with PAL DVDs running in 480p. There's a very very noticeable framerate judder. With DVDX2 this doesn't happen. You do get a slight background judder, but that's part and parcel with progressive scan DVD playback. However after a while you get used to it, and it's nowhere near as bad as the problem when using the official kit.

480p vs 576i? 480p wins - flawless victory!

480p smashes it. There's no way you can go back. Considering how much it costs to buy an Xbox these days, the quality of DVD playback is astounding when you've got it outputting 480p. The old saying "it's like looking through a window" applies here.

Wierd, how about trying UltraEdit. That's what I used. Just copy the string from the forum to look for,exactly like it is - one space between each set of 2 digits. If you still can't do it. I don't know what to say. Because it's there. I just did it. Maybe someone can send you one edited already.

it's hexcode ur searching for, so use the 'hex' option to search with!

it's at offset: 0x00019D95

11. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a PAL uk Xbox with the NTSC dash enabled. I bought the official MS HD pack and on the packaging for the cable it states that DVD output is at 480p.

12. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hmm..
    I just bought a new Phillips DVD player for prog scan via another thread on AVForums.
    I hope that I notice an improvement over my recently softmodded xbox :eek:

13. sime

sime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    there will be a noticable difference while using the ms- hd or the x2vga cables
    as long as your xbox as been modified....
    but they will be unable to produce true high def pictures and they will gradually upscale instead... :smashin:

a high end prog scan dvd player will just be as good as hd at the moment with the current dvds available.........i am led to believe ;)

14. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    That is because MS assumes you are using the built in DVD player rather thab XBMC which does upscale DVD playback.

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Depends on the quality of the upscaler in the DVD player it may well be the same.

16. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    No. The Xbox running XBMC will upscale to 720p or 1080i just like the upscaling DVD player. Picture quality should be much the same. Check out the XBMC HDTV FAQ http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_faq.htm#hdtv

17. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I read that even on a modded box with the Hi Def Kit installed you have to perform the hex edit to switch both the dashboard & DVD Playback into Progressive mode (see details in my post above).

Can anyone confirm this ?

18. lasercutter

lasercutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not seen this mentioned but when on the MS dashboard if you hold both triggers in and click both thumbsticks down (whilst still holding triggers) it toggles the high def dashboard on and off.