1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Modding

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by DazJWood, May 5, 2004.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now thinking of getting my XBox modded. Mainly so I can play multi-region DVDs on it and so I can use it for mp3s through my hme cinema amp.

Having read up on it the Xecuter seems to be the most popular chip, but looking at the installation method it appears that part of the mod is fitted externally.

As I wish to move my XBox so it sits with my amp and VCR I don't particularly want bits of PCB hanging of it. I just want it to look as it does unmodded.

Is this possible? Or is there anyway of rerouting the external mod board?

Thanks,

Daz

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The only part of Xecuter modchips that are external are the switch banks that enable you to activate/disable your chip, and reflash the onboard BIOS.

The switches themselves are pretty much invisible unless you really look so I don't think there's a massive danger of your Xbox becoming any (more?! ;)) uglier than it already is :)

K.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just FYI, Xecuter are in the process of designing a new switch prototype which is a little more "aesthetically pleasing" than the regular switch banks supplied - this may be of interest to you.

For details, visit http://www.teamxecuter.com and scroll down (it's the first "news" item on the page at the moment) :)

K.

[​IMG]

[Edited to include image :)]

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    You can fit the switches anywhere you want to. Why not mount them down the side or at the back?

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Can you recommend a site where i can buy one of these fab looking chips, and are they a piece of **** to install, otherwise id fudge it up!

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The modchips themselves are available from www.baldbouncer.co.uk (amongst others) who I can highly recommend. I would recommend the Xecuter 2.3b Lite Plus if you're worried about fitting - no soldering involved ;) Read the installation guides and forums on www.teamxecuter.com and www.xbox-scene.com if you want any more information prior to purchasing :)

The switch shown in the picture above however, is not available yet - it's a prototype, aftermarket switch to control an internal modchip like the one's available from the above site :)

K.

7. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at the Xecuter page every now and then and they seem to be in a process of bringing out their next generation mod chip V3.

I don't know whether to hold out for this one. Saying that though since last year they have been saying it is about to come out and now we are almost half way through the year so I guess they are not the quickest at prducing their products.

The new switch design add on looks great but I wonder how long this will take to come out. I could be hanging on for awhile I guess. Maybe I ought to just go for the V2.3.

Daz

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The X3 is indeed due out "imminently", and from what I can gather, is undergoing testing at the moment - a slight spanner has been thrown in the works which may hinder it's release in the form of a "re-designed" motherboard from M$ in a small number of newer Xbox's.

From what I can understand, Xecuter are simply "playing it safe", and delaying the release of X3 until they can be sure it will be both forwards, and backwards compatible.

I read up, and ended up going for the 2.3b Lite Plus - it's simple enough to remove and upgrade if the X3 proves to be hugely beneficial, but for what I want to do now, and for what I can foresee myself wanting to do, I think it'll be just fine :)

K.

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Cheers for the info guys, think i might be ordering the 2.3b lite plus when i get home. I assume this chip will allow me to select NTSC video on the dashboard so i can take advantage of Prog Scan on my Tv?

10. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kelvin - am in the same situation as regards to wanting to make my Xbox special ;) did you install the 2.3b lite plus yourself? if so how easy was it to do?

or did you have it done for you?

my soldering skills are not to bad, but if the none solder model fits and works as well, then that would be better for me. Can't afford to mangle the Xbox up and have to replace it :)

cheers
    Gary

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, I have the 2.3b Lite Plus, and I installed it myself :)

To be honest, it was a lot easier than I initially thought it would be - I read just about every article/post that I could relating to installation so I was well aware of what to expect if I made a mistake. I didn't have any problems at all :)

As you will discover if you do a little research, the biggest problems tend to be the following:-

i) Incorrect alignment of the "d0" pin

Don't be too "heavy-handed" in trying to get this right as you run the risk of scratching your MB, or at worst, breaking a trace. If necessary, loosen the screws of the main MB to allow a little extra movement :)

ii) Having the wrong "version" selected

There is a small switch on the mod which allows you to select which of the 2 "d0" pins is active (the d0 is in different places depending on what version your xbox is). Make sure you select the right one. Pictures are available to help you figure out which version you have on Team Xecuter.

iii) Screwing the modchip down too much and stripping the thread.

Quite simply... don't do this ;) More seriously, as far as I can see, this is pretty difficult to do but in the worst case scenario, you can fix this :) Don't panic.

iv) Not being able to flash the BIOS

More often than not, this comes down to a poor choice of media - xbox's can be pretty picky about what they will/won't play. I used verbatim CD-RW's without a problem (burned at 8x but slower is best)

Finally, just make sure you back everything up before you go playing about with Dashboards etc :) Providing you have a backup of your original HD, the installation of a 2.3b Lite Plus is totally reversible.

I hope this is of some help - let me know if you have any questions :)

K.

12. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I forgot to say - it's recommended that you "prepare" the d0 point by scraping some of the lacquer off of the MB to reveal more copper.

It was suggested to me, that you're better off attempting to install the chip without doing this, and only doing it if it turns out to be necessary - a lot of people it seems don't bother as it has the potential to be a fairly risky operation.

Perhaps needless to say, but I didn't bother :)

K.

13. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just to add to the post, I also have a X2.3b lite, I did the soldering myself and it really wasnt that difficult, you just need a 15watt soldering iron and a bit of a steady hand.

The only thing I can add to what everybody else has said is that if I were buying again knowing what I know now; I would pay the extra £10 and buy the pro version. When the two chips (pro/lite) are functioning they are basically the same, the only difference is that with the pro version, you can hook it up to your pc to flash the bios.

This is immensly useful if you have a picky dvd drive that does not want to read your bios cd, or if you flash with an old bios and the xbox will not load up any more (thats what I did). Of course there are ways out of it with the lite chip, but with the pro it wouldnt even be a problem.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    What about the approach I took. I bought a USA XBOX (with UK supply), 4 games and controller second hand for £80. I have US and UK X Box for not that much more money and all 'genuine'. :)