Xbox modchip/harddisk update question

gunrock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very tempted to chip my Xbox (primarily to get a US copy of Prince of Persia, but also for XBox Media Player goodness) and I figured I could upgrade the drive at the same time. I have a 40gb IBM/Hitachi going spare and would like to use that.

Provided that works okay, how can I get my save games from the original hard disk onto the new one?

Gunrock

Chip your box, FTP the files off the original HDD onto your PC (you'll need to link the two via a twisted pair Ethernet cable, or alternatively a router), install your new HDD, FTP them back again.

Its a bit more complicated than that, but check out xbox-scene's FAQ and mods forums for more info.

I'm far from an expert regarding xbox matters but I'd suggest fitting a 120gb Maxtor given their low cost these days (< £70).

About to do this myself but I reckon with a chipped box, all that space will be needed :eek:

remember that if you want to use live, you HAVE to have a hdd that can be "locked".

To get on !live, you have to disable the mod-chip, and the xbox wont bont without a locked hdd with the mod-chip disabled.

If you're not woried about !live, then you can use any hdd you want:)

I Argee with everything said above. The maxtor - great choice, almost all models of the maxtor drives lock. Also agree with checking xbox-scene.com - that place is packed with info.

no lol. that takes way too much time. the first thing you do when getting the modchip up and running is backup the entire x-box hdd via FTP. All you have to do is put the drive in and format it (tuts. on xbox-scene) and then use that backup to make an exact copy on the bigger drive. easy:)

FTP is far faster and you'll find yourself using it more and more when you get your box chipped.

as Mr Wilby says, either ethernet via twisted pair (cross over cable) to connect both together, or using a cheap hub or switch (no need for router really) with normal straight thru patch cables

am hoping to get XBox soon, modding will definately be on the agenda, so not sure if worth going for used one as warranty will be voided anyway.

Gary

no, id get a new one if i were you - you're more likely to get a samsung drive if you do, which is pretty much vital if you have a modded 'box.

My new (now modded ;)) xbox (few weeks old) has the Samsung drive fitted :)

Only €209 with 4 games (that's £145 odd).

Originally posted by james.miller
no, id get a new one if i were you - you're more likely to get a samsung drive if you do, which is pretty much vital if you have a modded 'box.

Why is a samsung drive the thing to have?

Ps - Thanks for all the replies folks?

because its the only drive that will read cd-r's reliably the others *might* (thompson and phillips i think) but 99% of the time they dont.

Yep, won't be long before you'll wish you'd stuck a 250GB in that baby :)

I thought the xbox would only recognise up to 137gb?

If I can fit a bigger HDD, trust me, I will :)

Just over 1.3tb (tera) of storage space now - another 250gb would be nice :D

The problem is finding a large HD that will reliably lock. It seems a major hit and miss affair with pretty much all HD manufacturers at the moment (mostly, I assume, to do with the firmware version which is programmed onto the HD).

I'm looking at a 250 or 300gb, but the 300gb seem unreliable at best when it comes to their locking abilities (if you go by the 'scene).

It also seems you're more likely to get a lockable drive if you opt for the smaller 2mb cache versions (rather than the 8mb). Maybe that isn't the case, but from reading the monster thread on XBS there seem a high degree of 2mb-lockables...

Originally posted by Kramer
I thought the xbox would only recognise up to 137gb?

If I can fit a bigger HDD, trust me, I will :)

Just over 1.3tb (tera) of storage space now - another 250gb would be nice :D

Don't think Linux has a 137GB capacity limit has it? Thought that was only a DOS/Windows limitation.

They've managed to get around the drive limits now with the newer releases of bios/modchip code, but you will have an extra G: drive afterwards to be able to use the space above the 137Gb which is F:

Linux has a 137 gb Limit.......depending on the kernel and LBA driver used. As this limit is present on Series 1 TiVo's.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom