1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Media Centre question...

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SimonO, Jun 26, 2004.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've been looking at using a modified Xbox as a cheap media centre... Using XBMC will I be able to burn my CD collection onto the Xbox HDD and also access JPEG photos over my network..?

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Yep, done it myself today in fact. It's definitely well worth doing. You can point it to a shared directory on another PC where music or video is stored and it will play it from there. Was streaming dvds from my HTPC through the x-box to my panny plasma earlier.

Cheers
    Andy

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Andy... What file format do the CD's need to be in and what's the best software to do this..? Can I save the files on the Xbox HDD rather than stream them from another PC..?

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I haven't bothered much with music yet to be honest but I believe most compressed audio formats are catered for, certainly MP3/WMA. Yes you can save the files on the HDD, use e.g. flashxfp to FTP from the PC to the Xbox or rip a CD to the HDD as you would on a normal unchipped xbox. I've only just started with this stuff so I'm no expert but it is very impressive and a good substitute for my HTPC for use on the plasma so I can leave the PC for the projector.

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Sounds good Andy...

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    SimonO, i've had media Centre since January and i have to say i haven't looked back, i've got around 15,000 Mp3s on the system, 20 games and around 1000 pictures. I dont do any of the network stuff but from what i can gather it will do that as well. Even if i stopped playing games tomorrow my xbox would still get a place under the telly as its my jukebox. :clap:

i've tried to explain to people why its so good but they just dont seem to want to know. :rolleyes:

Gary

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    the box just keeps getting better and better,not only can i irp my own soundtrack to the little beauty i have 5.1 games and a whole new world has opened up with the addition of the media centre :)