XBox Media Centre is a Killer App

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dgordon, Jul 23, 2004.

1. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I just wondered what everyones current thoughts where on Media Centre 1 final. I have a wireless lan connecting everything up and the abillity to stream virtually any digital music / movie format from my Pc upstairs to watch / Listen on my Plasma downstairs without taking up XBox Hard Drive space is an awesome bonus to have for modding the thing. I know Media Centre has been discussed here before but with quality of Media Centre now its final has blwon me away. Who needs Multicast?

2. kennyb

kennyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting wireless lan ,now with what you describe its even more of an appeal what wireless lan you using?

3. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, XBMC is amazing. I have a very similar setup, with Xbox to plasma and PC (my "media server") on the network. Pictures, my entire CD collection, radio, DTV and video all streamed effortlessly. Even being able to check the weather is rather handy.

It doesn't get any better at this price :)

EffTee

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Agreed - XBMC is a top piece of software :)

I initially had a few problems when trying to stream wirelessly, but that was related more to my WLAN than the software itself - I now have the Xbox hard-wired to my router and the results are superb :)

K.

5. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi All,

My friend is wanting to do what (I think) you all have done - store music on his PC in the study and play it through his amp in the lounge.

He already has the WLAN in place (works for IBM - all came free!) what else would he need? Is there a receiver box which can be plugged into the amp (CD inputs?).

DVDs I think will have to be played through a separate player - the amp only has analogue 5.1 inputs and I'm assuming (if XBox has DD/DTS decoding built in?) the only XBox out will be opt/coax...?

What functions does the mentioned XBMC perform and how much is it? Is it hardware or software?

Please excuse my ignorance - would be very grateful for some tips...

Thanks,

Matt

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,808
    Must admit I wasn't that impressed with XBMC when I first got my xbox chipped, didn't seem very robust. I've just installed the version from a couple of days ago and it's a lot better now and has some nice additions like shoutcast for internet radio. I've also enabled the http bit so can control it from my wireless Ipaq PDA by pointing internet explorer to the http://ip address of the xbox/ppcdefault.asp. That allows me to see all the music/films on the Ipaq and play them from there (i.e. remote control for XBMC!). It's brilliant to be honest, well impressed with it and a reason to get an xbox chipped in itself!

Cheers
    Andy

7. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kennyb.

To answer your question I am using a D-Link 604+ ADSL router / Modem / Wireless access point built in. It supports up 22mb/s and is a great bargain as an all in one solution. I have seen it around for £75. I use a D-Link 605 wirelss PCMCIA card in my laptop and a D-Link wireless bridge connected to a cheap 4 port switch to get my XBox, Tivo and any other non-wireless networkable kit onto the wireless LAN. All in its about £200 worth of kit but it works like a dream. If you are going to do something similiar you will need to edit the XML file in Media Centre to be able to logon to your PC. I use an SMB (MS Windows standard share format) share on my PC up stairs and have an entry in the XML file to login to that share using an account I have created just for the XBox on my pc. You will need to know a little about permissions on your PC but nothing that you won't find easily documented on Xbox-scene.com.

Regards
    Dave

Its great to see I am not the only one who thinks Media Center is cool. I haven't.

8. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi F1 Boy. Media Center is free for a modded XBox (although technically not a legal piece of software. Check out www.xbox-scene.coim for more info). It provides the abillity toplay loads of different types of video and audio files on your XBox (SVCD, VCD, XVID, MP3, WMA etc) and basically looks like a slicker version of Windows Medai Player on the PC but with lots more fuctionality. It can play these files either streamed off your PC (via ethernet cable or Wireless LAN) or off the XBox Hard drive (which once modded you can fit a larger hard drive to store more files on). The software is Skinnable so you can customize it the way you want it to look, has a built in screen saver (also selectable) and can play visualizations on screen to the music (again selectable).

It is easily the cheapest and most flexible way of playing your PC media on your AV system.

Hope this helps.

Dave

The XBox only supports Optical (TOSLink) out I believe (An advanced scart or high def cable from microsoft should do the trick) which is how I connect to my Amp.

9. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS did I mention it is compatible with the XBox remote control? I have mine setup on my Pronto :)

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i've been using XBMC for about 6 months and i love it to bits, all my cds are in the loft now after ripping them all. however, i cant seem to find release 1 anywhere. can some one post a link or sensd me a private message with a link?

cheers

Gary

11. Solaron

Solaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guuys and girls, sorry to butt in on your thread, but i was hoping you guys could help.

I'm new to all this Xbox modding and am really keen to get into it as the things you can do sound aaawwwweeesssoommmeee!!

Anyway, i have the ltd edition xbox (green) unchipped. I was hoping to get it so i can play (or copy to) my divx files from my pc... i read about your wireless setups - cool idea.

So basically, what do i need to do??? There's loads of stuff about but i can't understand a thing of it! I hear you don't need to chip your xbox for XBMC but you do for XBMP.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated and i'll try and keep active on this forum for other users too.

12. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Whilst there are exploits around which enable you to install (the majority of) alternative Dashboards & Apps, I would highly recommend you install a mod-chip if you wish to do either. In any case, your warranty is void, so there really isn't any major advantage to a software exploit (except the obvious fact that it's free!)...

K.

13. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solaron,

Best place to go for the how to's is www.xbox-scene.com I guess that's where most of us who DIY our boxes get our info from. The tutorials etc are helpful and are written for a variety of skill levels.

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    XBMC, best console 'extra' ever IMO. Have a machine in my room and one in front room (both networked to main PC) and they get more use than most of my other kit put together. :thumbsup:

15. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi folks,

I,ve had my xbox (& xbmc running with a 200Gb HDD) wireless networked for about three months, and I have to say it is fantastic - even the Mrs likes it!

However I'm looking at controlling the setup (via netgear wireless modem/router) from an Ipaq 3715. Does anyone know if this is difficult to achieve?

16. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XBMC has a web interface which allows you to control it via a browser.

17. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Jason,

I havent yet completely fathomed xbmc, another project in the making I think.

18. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Having had my interest in XBMC pricked by this post Im in the middle of cleaning mine up - streaming files from the pc or local files on my XBOX work fine, as do emulators and other apps. Now I want to stream music from the net, either shoutcast or streaming asx files. Any thoughts on how to do this.

Nige

19. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    So I managed to get the latest version of XBMC .... still trying to work out streaming apple movie trailers and asx files ... here are some of my screenies

20. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    gona download the latest version of XBMC now it looks awesome !

while I am here when I want to watch a movie on my xbox I transfer the video file to xbox hard drive which takes around 30-40 mins. is it possible to play it on my PC and it would play on my xbox at the same time. I think its called streaming isnt it ??

Just so that way there will be no need to have to wait 40 mins for it to save on my xbox hard drive so I can watch it.

your thoughts ?

21. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yup its possible - you get a tiny program that runs on your pc - this then allows you choose which directories on your PC you want to share. Then within the XBMC config file you point it to the ip address of your pc and share ... You can also use SMB shares (SAMBA) but I find the streaming using this tool works a treat.

Let me know if you have any other questions ..

Nige

PS: Im using this one ccXstream which you can get from here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=87054&package_id=97904

22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Totally love XBMC - my xbox is only second to my plasma when it comes to what i wouldn't sell ever!! my entire record collection is on it (at abit of "exotic" entertainment.)

Monkey do you think that the 360 and its abilities will see of XBMC (trying work out what i'm gonna have under my display at xmas?)

Gary

23. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Before SMB was implemented in XBMC it was necessary to use some sort of streaming protocol. Nowadays is much easier to use SMB. I have some shares pointed to explicitly in XboxMediaCenter.xml plus I can just browse my local workgroup.

24. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Not sure about ASX files at the moment but does the button next to the power button in the lower right corner on the welcome screen not have a list of scripts in it? One of which is Apple Trailers? I've not used the latest build but the one I'm using (must be a few weeks old now) has Apple Trailers, Game Trailers, and about half a dozen more too! XBMC downloads the list of trailers from Apple's site after which you pick a film then it retrieves the sizes it's available in. Once you've selected the size it starts downloading it, and much like it works on the PC, it caches so much of the file then starts playing.

Cheers,

Colin

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    yes it does have a list of scripts - a build i had a couple of weeks ago had a "Popup" list of scripts then another build took me to page within XBMC with the scripts on. i've found the trailers to be vey good (except Warner ones which seem to stream which can cause them to "jerk"). I've watched loads of stuff about the 360 from Gamespot too :smashin:

its such a top app it really is :smashin:

Gary

26. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Anyone sussed out the Replay TV section yet?

27. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody setup XBMC with the built in Kai feature to play Games online, if so we must all arrange a online game ...

As for XBMC it gets better and better.. I have three Xboxes now one in loft room softmodded with 80gig HD in it, one in lounge with 200Gig HD in it connected to main network 100mbs, and onein bedroom softmodded with standard HD to that I can watch movies in bedroom ...

Normal movies not the other kind..

Also Xbox 360 is on preorder

28. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    I got a modded xbox a few months back from www.advancedxbox.com, I see that xbmc has a new release - is there an idiots guide to how I upgrade, I am ok with ftp software, but very unfamiliar with the xbox drives / partitions / dashboard stuff...?

thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  29. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Basically you just ftp to the Xbox & copy the new version over the old version making sure to either keep the xboxmediacenter.xml configuration file or copy over any modifications that you have made to the new file.

There are many different ways & places that XBMC may be installed on your box. If XBMC is your major use of the Xbox then setting it as your dashboard (the program that runs when you boot) is the best way of setting it up. The simplest way is to use Auto-Installer Deluxe 2.11 http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/postt9284.html
    That web site is the best source for all sorts of Xbox software & it's well worth paying $10 for a one year access to the VIP sections.

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    as an addon to what nigelbb has said above. when i copy mine over i rename my XBMC directory too "XBMC2" and copy the new version to XBMC . the reason for that is that i hink that some builds have been worse than previous ones. its easy to change it back then. it also means that you dont for get to copy over playlists and modifications.

Gary