1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox media center extender - settings

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lisag, Aug 9, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I am using my modded xbox with the microsoft media center extender kit, mainly for watching recorded tv in the bedroom.

I have it connected using the advanced RGB scart cable to a 4:3 CRT TV, and I have both the tv and the xbox set to PAL, as I am watching live and recorded UK Freeview tv. I did set it to NTSC to install the software as it is a US disc, then changed it back to PAL and it runs ok.

On some shows there is a little bit of interlacing noticeable (horizontal lines across the picture) it is only slight but is bugging me.

Anyone know why this is, or if I need to adjust some settings?

Thanks
    lisa

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    do you notice interlacing on your main MCE pc....?
    I do...

i am fairly sure that XBEx is limited to 480i for TV - try switching to NTSC (if you TV can handle it)

I'm expecting my xbox extender to arrive in the next week or so - so i'll experiment and let you know......

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Hi, no I don't notice it on my main MCE PC - my display device in the lounge is a PW7 plasma and I am outputting 1024 x 576 @ 50hz, also using 'Pure Video' decoder so think that may be sorting the interlacing out correctly.

I don't know much about the xbox, just bought it to be an extender, so wondered if there were some hidden settings that I should know about. My tv in the bedroom has PAL/NTSC options so I will try setting it all to NTSC and see if that makes any difference.

The update discs are supposedly on their way to me from Microsoft, so wonder if they will make any difference.

Thanks for your response

lisa

4. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    then again - it make work better on your Panny as it supports a de-interlaced progressive scan input....
    I dont think many CRT's are progressive scan capable - and neither are scart connectors....

I am using the Nvidia decoder as well - but I notice interlacing on my LCD and PJ :( - however DVD is perfect... :thumbsup:

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    As the MCX application is NTSC I suspect that this is what the Xbox outputs & in fact your TV automatically switches to NTSC. I use Xbox MCX with a 46" RPTV. I have never noticed any interlacing artefacts just that the picture is a bit soft on such a large screen. I too am using the advanced RGB scart cable