1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Media Center and HDTV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ErikX, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have ordered a Panasonic TH-37PV500 plasma television. I will hopefully get it tomorrow

The "problem" with HDTV in Norway is that there is no HDTV TV-channels. Until blue-ray DVD players becomes available next year I am currently not able to show off the beauty in its full splendour

What I'm hoping is that XBMC can give me some near HD-TV experiences.

So, to start with I have the following questions:
    1. The Panasonic have an built-in scaler that will upscale signals to 720p (I think). Does this make it pointless to set the Xbox to output 720p?

2. There are several so-called HDTV Xvid TV series floating around on the net, for example the TV series Lost. Can the Xbox play these files? If yes, are the quality really HD like? Do they also contain AC3/Dolby Digital sound?

3. XBMC can play DivX HD clips. Anyone tested this, and does it really look like real HD?

4. Do I have to use a component cable between the Xbox and the telly, or will a scart cable be sufficient?

I would really appreciate some feedback on this!

2. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can answer number 4 - yes you really need the component cable. I have XBMC and it is possible to "upscale" the video to the GUI resolution, so maybe it can upscale to 720p - but that is something I am unable to try.

3. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Of course you have to have a 720P input to get optimal picture quality. Internal scaling is not the best solution, so HD input is always preferred.
    2. The xvid files you mean (350MB in size or even 700MB per epsiode) have NOTHING to do with real HD. They´re named "HDTV" because their source is a HDTV-file. But they´re all downconverted to PAL resolution. (approx)
    3. XBMC can play Divx HD at 720P but it´s not completely without dropped frames. Doesn´t make sense unless you want to show it off briefly..
    4. Of course you have to use Component, otherwise you´ll end up with normal PAL which is then scaled from the Panny. Not good.

Regarding HD material for us europeans: there are many many *real* HD videos (TV Shows etc) out there. If you have the bandwidth, you may want to check www.altbinarieshdtv.com (you need a Usenet Provider for this)

That´s where I get my stuff from... I live in germany and we don´t have HDTV, yet.

In general, the Xbox is not capable of playing HD files without frame dropping, its CPU is just not fast enough. For serious HD playback, you need a 3GHZ PC.

4. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx for the answers! I have not got a powerful enough PC to play real HD stuff, so I guess the closest I will currently get to get a hint of how HD will look on my screen is to use XBMC to play DivX HD clips. If we're lucky, maybe TV-shows and movies in DivX HD will become available soon...

5. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don´t count on it.

Currently only episodes in Original MPEG2 (Transport Streams) are available and these are more and more substituted by WMV9 which is also very hardware demanding.

700MHZ just ain´t enough... but still it´s impressive how much the Xbox can do with it ;)

But I would encourage you to get a decent DVD Player that outputs 720P... you´ll get near-HD results which can be pretty amazing.

6. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, there seem to be different opinions on this. Some say that the PV500 internal scaler is better than the scaler in most DVD-players. If this is true I see no point in buying a DVD player that outputs 720p, neither do I see the point in setting the Xbox to output 720p or use a component cable with it.

Hmmm....I got to admit that I am a bit confused. But hey - I am still only a newbie! :clap:

7. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See for yourself, connect a DVD player that outputs 720P and a normal player that only has component.

I´m confident that you´ll come to the conclusion that the externally scaled picture looks by far better.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Id say that depends entirely on the DVD player. There's a world of difference between a Denon 1910 and an Onkyo DVSP1000.

9. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You´re correct.

But what if a DVD Player that produced a very fine picture when using a SD CRT isn´t fit for a Plasma? Then scaling MUST be the issue here.

I got a really fine Sony CRT that shows potential weakness of a DVD and I was very happy with my Sony 730P player. But with the PV500, PQ was very average due to lacking external scaling.

We added a Denon 1910 that scales and ouputs 720P and the picture was MUCH better.

Was the Sony DVD player bad? I don´t think so. It just lacked scaling capabilites and the PV500 didn´t do it well enough.

10. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Ive got xbox with component output giving 720p from the xbox, but it simply doesnt have the power to play .ts files to many lost frames and judder.

Dont waste your money getting a HDTV lead for your xbox if you want it to play HDTV TS files it wont work properly.

The free DMREs10 that came with my PV500 gives better results with component than the xbox with conponent.

Dino

11. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you games look like via component? (compared to Scart)