XBox Live

BT do have their own broadband service but your local exchange has to be able to handle broadband. My local exchange can't for example and there's not a cable within 20 miles of my house.

On BT's website, you can register your interest in broadband and they will consider upgrading the exchange but only if they get 400+ people interested in the are your exchange covers.

John

I'll be there when it launches (hopefully), but I'm also trying to get a new PC so that broadband isn't wasted. (in case XBox Live doesn't live up to the hype)

By the time Xbox Live! kicks off over here I'll probably have a new PC and ADSL. If theres a flat annual fee to be paid for the online services then it could be interesting, IF the software warrants it. For me Tekki is looking better and better but I haven't got a clue on how good the game is atm.

I think the US price is $50 up front, which gets you the communicator headset, bootup CD (or something equivalent), and 12 months of service. They still haven't announced what the monthly fee will be after that. But, for $50 (or whatever it will be in the UK), it's not that big of an investment to see what it'll be like. (it gives MS a year to iron out all the bugs in the system) The only thing that could burn gamers is the games themselves. If I pay £50 for an online game, and the network is crap, then the game is pretty useless.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to the experiment.

Oh yeah, and that price will include a game. I've heard that we'd be getting ReVolt, but I'm still hoping for Phantasy Star.

Hmm.. ReVolt. Hardly sums up what the Xbox Live experience should be. PSO would be a decent start and I hope Tekki will make it. I'm pretty sure Timesplitters II will be compatible but as a launch title I'm not sure...

I seriously doubt PSO will be a free title. I expect it will be a special edition and then used as a premium title to sell, SEGA will make a lot of money off it and it could be a decent killer app for the launch.

Revolt sounds about right, something lame to start and for people to play on for 10 minutes. Not a Chu Chu Rocket by any means.

It does make me wonder how MS will be selling Xbox Live, I presume they will be offering their own DSL/Cable services as I would expect that many Xbox users who will want to play online will not possess a PC for online play. And some services will really require a PC to set it up (I assume you cannot retrieve MAC addresses nor configure routers from the X-Box).

Actually, last I heard, PSO will be shipped with XBox Live in Japan. If we get stuck with ReVolt, that'll be a pretty shoddy second choice.

Originally posted by Sinzer
It does make me wonder how MS will be selling Xbox Live, I presume they will be offering their own DSL/Cable...

Seems this isn't the case. You'll connect to XboxLive through your existing service provider.

Telewest require you to activate your ethernet card before you can use their broadband with that card. I wonder if Microsoft is going to give Telewest some kind of master code or something so that every Xbox user wishing to use Xbox live can do without registering the card with them first.

I think that what Telewest need is the MAC address of your ethernet card (like a unique serial number). There must be some way of getting hold of the MAC address of the Xbox ethernet card. Not sure how though.
You could use a router, but it'll be a bummer if you have to use one.

it would be nice if you could use a wireless router.

i have my dsl connection in the hall with a wireless access point/router, a pc in the basement with a usb wireless network card, and my laptop with a wireless connection, the xbox will be in the loft and i really dont fancy another wire going up there.

it would be easy to do just choose a manufacturer to make an xbox wireless lan card.

If this service involves playing their 'Yawn' games, then I wouldn't bother to sign up.

It will possibly be well overpriced also!

The greatest oversight is the broadband penetration in the UK. The only other alternative if you lived in a non-adsl or cable area was Tele2 wireless. But they have gone bust now as well....

Who is suggesting that Xbox stuff is overpriced....I think it is actually very reasonable considering the capabilities. And Microsoft is the only vendor I know off who appreciated its early adopters...My two free games and extra controller have arrived today...

But I am still dreaming about broadband.....hook up the Xbox to my home network etc...if only...BT can't even supply a proper ISDN implementation without turning into a Business Customer...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom