1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by areuwithmee, Jun 12, 2005.

1. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I use xbox live wireless with a netgear router, most of the time I can connect to most players but sometimes I cannot connect to certain players of which I can if I connect the cable modem directly to the xbox.
    Are there any settings on the router to maybe allow me to connect to these players?

Thanks

2. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes.

Check out www.portforward.com . You may need to open the ports for X Box live on your router.

3. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thk 4 reply monster. So this is the problem because I can connect to most people, its only some people that I cannot connect to.

Regards

Ruwithmee

4. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Correct!

I had the same problem with Rainbow Six 3. I could not hear a few specific people when they spoke but could hear all others. I would occasionally not be able to join new games (Connection Failed error message) but others had gone in with no problems.

Captaineyecatch (another forum member) pointed me to the portforward website, I followed the tutorial for my router to open ports:

TCP 3074
    UDP 3074
    UDP 88

Once that was done, all was fine!

Strange how it only affected very few people and not others but it fixed the problem :lesson:

Good luck!

PS: If you are crap at Halo 2 add me to your friends list. I'm getting fed up of being cannon fodder all the time :mad: :suicide:

5. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tnx govenor!
    The problem I can see is that I've setup my network with automatic ip addresses. For this 2 work u need 2 have private ip addresses as well?

Regards

Ruwithmee

6. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Apparently so , but when I looked into it, I found that my router was giving the same IP address to my X Box each time, and the same with my PC. SO, I didn;t do anything about static IP addresses!

All I did was open the ports, following the tutorial for my specific router and it worked!

Since then, I have had to change the IP address scales that my router allocates as I was having problems connecting my work laptop through the router. I did this and having changed to the new IP for my X Box it is still fine!

7. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    some netgear routers were notorious for this. Monster is right by saying that opening ports will help solve the problem, but some xbox games use other ports than those already stated. It may be worth also trying to put the Xbox IP addy in the router DMZ aswell, to help out even more.

8. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot guys, I haven't tried it yet though!
    Its Fifa 2005 and pes4 that I really only play, does anyone know the ports 4 these?

Thnx

Areuwithmee

9. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can't help with those games but since I opened the ports stated I've had no problems on any games. Worth a punt as a starter and see how you get on.

Let us know if it does the trick.

10. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Monster
    I've updated the firmware on my router and that appears to have done the trick, although I haven't played enough online to know if thats enough.