1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by gooner1, Dec 21, 2004.

1. gooner1

gooner1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have just gone Live with XBox. I took the Modem/Router way so i can use the Internet as well as my son using the XBox at the same time. It works very well so far. But....My son reckons he sometimes gets Lag when i am surfing the net. Does anyone know if this is normal. (Lag)...Slowing down of game slightly..Stuttering. When i go off the Internet on my PC it does improve. I am only asking as when i bought the Modem/Router is specifically says you can use Internet and XBox at the same time...

Anyone else experienced this.....

Thanks. Mark.

............ :cool:

2. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    What speed connection you got ?

3. gooner1

gooner1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    512..Standard. Demon BB.

4. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I can definitley notice if someone else is using the internet while im playing xbox live (or any online game).

The biggest problem is the upload bandwidth, on my connection I only have 128kb (16kB) up but 768kb (96kB) down. If somebody in my house starts using p2p software, ie uploading at more than 2/3 kB then the connection becomes almost unusable - its very very annoying!

The only solution is to pay for a much faster connection, but even the fastest connections in this country only offer 256kb up so that will still be the bottle neck. Compare that to the states where even a basic connection offers 500+kb up, you can see why us brits have lag problems.

I would imagine though that if you are only surfing the internet and not uploading pictures/videos etc then the effect will be very small, so your son will have to put up with it! ;)

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Most P2P software will allow you to throttle their upload and download, so you can eradicate this problem.

6. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    That is right, but 2/3kB is with throttling (bittorrent - bittornado client). Without throttling it would max the upload at 15/16kB.

The point I was trying to make (and one that I dont fully understand) is that when even a reletively small amount of the upload bandwidth is used by p2p or other apps, there is a large effect on the quality of online gaming.

All this really means for me is that I constantly annoy my housmates by turing off their p2p clients.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Common sense this one really - you only have a certain amount of bandwidth allocated to your house. Therefore is someone is on the internet using a proportion of that bandwidth then the person using the XBox on Live will have a reduced amount of bandwidth available. As online games need to constantly upload and download a fair bit information as near to instantly as possible then a reduction in bandwidth will obviously limit how much information can be sent at once. Most online games are designed to be useable on the standard upload speed of 128kbit per second at the moment as this is still the most common speed. If you eat into this 128k and that's all you have, then you will have lag problems. Remember as well that 3k is actually around 24 kbit so even if you are uploading such a small amount you are reducing your upload capacity by around 1/5th. If you have a 256kbit upload then theoretically you should be able to send up to around 12k (128kbit) and still have the performance of someone using a 128kbit line with no other users.

The information on the router was correct though as the unit does allow you to use a PC and X-Box at the same time. How well you can use them both depends on your connection though.

8. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yup, makes sense.

9. gooner1

gooner1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW...Such in depth reply...I was expecting a yes or a no... :laugh:

Well done chaps and thanks for those brilliant replies. I am well and truly enlightened. I will just have to curb my Surfing when the lad is playing PES4.. :laugh: The little sod bangs on the floor and shouts...(You've just cost me a goal)... :oops:

10. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Hi Guys

Just joined BT Yahoo Broadband and purchased a Voyager 2100 Wireless router and was wondering if any any one knew if these were XBOX live compatible? Does anyone have any experiance with this combo? And does anyone out there know where I can find out if these are compatible(if you don't know through experiance). i still have to wait a week till I have these and would like to know before, so I can cancel or send back asap, making other arrangments.

cheers all

Gaz :thumbsup:

11. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, PES is notoriously bad for lag. Even with just the xbox on (no internet use) It'll lag in each match I play (unless I'm hosting)

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Depends on how the host is set up as well though. The person you are playing may have their comp using the internet or they may have commentary on or have picked a "lagging" stadium.

If both people are using their connections purely for Xbox and they both have commentary off & have chosen a stadium like Orange Arena or Bayern Stadium then there should be very little or no lag at all. The unfortunate thing is that you really have to know the person you're playing so that these actions can be affected by both of you.