Xbox Live Wiring Setup Question

Rhys89

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, ive had my 360 for aobut a year and I am now hopiong to set up Live. But im a bit cocerned as i think that the Network cable form the pc to the 360 goes in the LAN Cable slot than im already using for my LAN to my computer in a different room.

Any suggestions?

Not really sure exactly what you're asking. Can you explain it a bit more clearly ?

You might want to mention exactly how things are connected and where and what kind of hardware you're using for your broadband as well as whether it is cable or ADSL.

what u need is a router if you dont have one dsl if Virgin or ADSL for BT etc broadband.

then you connect PC and 360 to the router

would a router work better than this other Switch thing?

A router and a switch are two different types of device. A router does what a switch does and more. You may not need it and it may be overkill. However I can't advise you because like I said I have no idea what your setup is like and what you're trying to achieve.

well right now ive got a pc donwstairs which has Wanadoo/Organge broadband, non wireless. I also have a PC in my bedroom upstairs which is linked via Network cable to share the internet connection. I also have a 360 in my living room donwstairs, and i want to send Xbox live to my 360 from the downstairs PC. But my Ethernet port is being used for my LAN sending the internet upstairs, and i dont want to have to keep pulling one cable out and using the other whenever i want to use Xbox live.

Thus is need another Ethernet port, and was wondering if this Switch would do the job, or whether a router would be better.

Any help vry much appreciated

well right now ive got a pc donwstairs which has Wanadoo/Organge broadband, non wireless. I also have a PC in my bedroom upstairs which is linked via Network cable to share the internet connection. I also have a 360 in my living room donwstairs, and i want to send Xbox live to my 360 from the downstairs PC. But my Ethernet port is being used for my LAN sending the internet upstairs, and i dont want to have to keep pulling one cable out and using the other whenever i want to use Xbox live.

Thus is need another Ethernet port, and was wondering if this Switch would do the job, or whether a router would be better.

I take it the Orange modem is connected via USB to the downstairs PC? and then the LAN port on the PC is connecting both computers (upstairs and downstairs), using Internet connection sharing on Windows?

I would just buy a router and put it next to the modem, then connect downstairs PC and Xbox to it, then use another ethernet cable to go upstairs (unless you go wireless with that one)

OK now we are getting somewhere. A switch would work but I think you would be better off with a router. Then connect both PC's and the 360 to the router's ethernet ports. If you want to go wireless instead then you could get a wireless router and a wireless adapter for the PC upstairs and/or the 360. With a switch only one of those devices can use the internet at a time. With a router you can have any combination of them using the internet at the same time.

OK now we are getting somewhere. A switch would work but I think you would be better off with a router. Then connect both PC's and the 360 to the router's ethernet ports. If you want to go wireless instead then you could get a wireless router and a wireless adapter for the PC upstairs and/or the 360. With a switch only one of those devices can use the internet at a time. With a router you can have any combination of them using the internet at the same time.

Thanks thats exactly what i needed to know,

could anyone reccoemnd a suitable router? the cheaper the better.

One question, am i right in thinking that the router goes in the Ethernet port?

I believe Wannadoo/Orange is an ADSL service. If that is the case then you would just replace the existing modem with an ADSL router with built in modem. The phone line would go in the phone connection in the router and then ethernet cables from the router to the two PC's and Xbox assuming you're going wired.

I am not familiar with Wannadoo/Orange but I suspect you can use any router with their service. You might want to check on that first. The Netgear DG834G is a good model and it is wireless as well as wired. Even if you don't use wireless now it will give you the option if you choose to use it later on. A lot of people use Belkin and D-Link routers but I'm not familiar with any specific models.

if you don't actually want to buy a router and don't mind leaving the living room pc on while you play the 360 all you need is an Ethernet card which would cost you <£10. Then all you do is bridge the connection between the two lan ports. Would work out a lot cheaper, but it depends on if you mind having the pc on when you want to use the 360.

my donwstairs PC is on 19 hours a day anyway. But with that option would i have to open up the back of the pc and put it in? I would fear doing that tbh

you would but its simply unscrew the 2 screws holding the case on, insert the card into a spare PCI slot, screw the card in with one screw. Replace case and rescrew. Then your sorted, nothing to configure, nothing to install just plug and play. Can't really go wrong and if you leave your pc on all the time anyway it would be a cheaper option and less hassle as you wouldn't have to configure your router for certain pc apps.

A router is a far better option then installing a secondary ethernet card in the PC. It's all round much more convenient, easy to configure and manage and doesn't require the PC to be on. I really wouldn't bother with the ethernet card option.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
its not a better option if you leave your pc on constantly at all. especially as you can buy one on amazon for £1.25

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Desk...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188771403&sr=8-2

and if you don't want to open your pc case. Then a usb>Ethernet card would do fine. Wouldn't go with that one though as it sucks and is only usb 1.1 but just demonstrating what you can buy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Usb-to-...9333871-3118246?ie=UTF8&qid=1188771403&sr=8-2

£2.94

Sorry but I disagree. It may be cheaper but it's not as simple as using a router. A router basically manages all your devices that connect to the internet. Installing a network card and then configuring ICS or bridging is far more trouble then it's worth especially for someone not very familiar with networking. It's not worth the hassle. You can pick up a wireless router for as little as £40-50.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You can pick up a wireless router for as little as £40-50.

thats the thing, i only want this formXbox live, and the fees with the subscription, 10m cable and evrrything i probibly wouldnt bother if i had to spend that much on a router.

I bridge my two lan ports all the time when my mate comes over with his 360. All you do is select both of them and right click and go bridge connections. Theirs no need to configure anything at all. Just don't bridge the internet and the network together as your create an unprotected link.

Also if he buys a wireless router then he'll need an xbox360 wireless card, one for his pc and one for his other pc upstairs. If you'd rather a router though a wired one would be much cheaper as you already have everything you need and you can get ones with built in wireless if you decide you want it in the future.

It's your choice though if your not bothered about &#163;&#163;&#163; then go for a router as it will save needing the pc on to use the 360 or upstairs pc.

thats the thing, i only want this formXbox live, and the fees with the subscription, 10m cable and evrrything i probibly wouldnt bother if i had to spend that much on a router.

Then just get a switch.

or just physically remove the Ethernet cable from the port and swap it with the 360 one when you use that. That way you don't have to spend a penny :D

I bridge my two lan ports all the time when my mate comes over with his 360. All you do is select both of them and right click and go bridge connections. Theirs no need to configure anything at all.

Also if he buys a wireless router then he'll need an xbox360 wireless card, one for his pc and one for his other pc upstairs. If you'd rather a router though a wired one would be much cheaper as you already have everything you need and you can get ones with built in wireless if you decide you want it in the future.

It's your choice though if your not bothered about £££ then go for a router as it will save needing the pc on to use the 360 or upstairs pc.

just quickly, Bridging connections?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom