XBox Live Wireless to BT Openworld

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Footsie, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently have PC connected to Alcatel ADSL modem through BT Openworld in upstairs bedroom. XBox is downstairs. Would like to have XBox Live accessing the ADSL connection without trailing a long CAT 5 cable. What I'd really love to know is how, and even better, recommendations for specific kit.

I think I need a combined wireless router/modem, such as Alcatel 570. Do I just unplug my BT-supplied USB modem and insert the router instead? I understand I'll need to fit an NIC card to my PC as it will then connect to the router via CAT 5 and not USB.

How do I connect the XBox to a wireless card? They seem to be mainly built for laptops.

Will the 570 work with the XBox Live system, and will it enable me to access XBox Live without the PC being on?

Many thanks.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil. Do you know for certain that the DSL 604 will work? On the XBox.com web site it lists the DI 604 (different model?) as one that won't work with XBox Live.

Also, as I have a BT-installed Openworld connection and not a wires only, what do I do about filters? Do I just connect the uplink from the router into the ADSL port on the wall socket installed by BT, or do I have to add filters to every phone in the house?

Thanks again.

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmm, I'd be surprised that the 604 doesn't work with live, but it might be worth asking first. We use them at work although not with Xboxlive, I'll see if I can borrow one. In any case make sure that you buy a router that support PPP Over ATM, That is vitally important. You only need filters if you have wires only.

Neil.

5. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil. I really appreciate your help.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I have an asus adsl router going into a netgear me102 access point.
    Then a linksys wet11 that plugs into the xbox.

works a treat.

also have a laptop with a wireless card and 2 pcs with wireless usb devices, all different brands all work no problem.

7. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gizlaroc. Are you on Openworld? I'm concerned that the modem/router may not be compatible with their service.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Now on pipex but i was at our other house, with no problems.

9. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use BT Openworld. I have a DG814 Netgear ADSL modem/Router/4 port 100Mb switch, a Netgear ME102 Wireless access point. A PC and a laptop (wireless). All works perfectly. The XBox is cabled at present.

I know for a fact that I could add another ME102 and have the XBox wireless if required (seen many other forum posts elewhere confirming this).

The DG814 box is great, it eliminates your adsl modem, router, and switch. It has a great web user interface, there are instructions on their web site how to set up for BT openworld (ask me if you need help!) and it costs about £100

10. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dodgey. Does the Netgear DG824M do the same job as the DG814 and ME102 combined? Would I then need an ME102 to connect to the ethernet port on the XBox?

I've read something about Netgear routers not responding to ICMP requests and so not being able to log onto XBox Live without a workaround. Is this true, and if so, is it difficult to do?

11. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've just looked at the product specs and yes, the 824M is the 814 with added wireless and Dos (denial of service) protection. It sould work perfectly. If the price of the 824M is less then an 814 and an ME102 then great, otherwise I would be tempted to get the separate products just so you have less in one box to go wrong. Saying that, getting the 824M will free up the switch port that an ME102 would use with an 814.

And yes, if you get the 824M you need to buy an ME102, configure it as a wireless "client" or "bridge mode" rather than "base station" (not the correct terminolagy) and then plug it into your X-Box. There are very clear instructions on the Netgear site on how to do this. Personally, I have a 15M cable I run accross the room which can be put away in seconds. I could by another ME102 but to be honest, my cable is out of the way so there is no real need.

NO. a few older Netgear routers had problems, with workarounds (simple to apply). The new one don't. I plugged my Xbox in and it worked straight away.

Rest assured, I use Netgear at work and home and it is very good value for money, and it will work with Xbox live.

Regards

Roger