1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox live wireless connection

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kriswood5, Jan 6, 2005.

1. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I wonder if anyone can help recommend what I need to buy to hook up to Xbox live.

I have a PC connected in room 1 upstairs to broadband via a direct ADSL modem.

In room 2 about 20 ft away (and also underground as in basement so two floors down) I have my Xbox connected up to home cinema system. This room also has a telephone socket.

I would like to hook up Xbox to broadband but don't want cables running through house – what is the best approach?

My thoughts are:

Option 1: buy a new ADSL modem and plug Xbox directly into telephone line in room 2. I assume this will work?
    Benefits = Good connection
    Downsides = Can only have PC or Xbox connected as any one time

Option 2: connect Xbox via a wireless connection.
    Benefits = no wires and Xbox and PC can be connected at same time
    Downsides = Will I get a decent connection in basement on Xbox

For option 2, I have no idea what I need to buy. Do I need a wireless ADSL router which can plug straight into PC and the wireless card for Xbox and discard the existing ADSL modem? Or can I retain existing ADSL modem and somehow plug this into a wireless router which in turn connects to PC directly and Xbox via wireless card?

Any comments or thoughts on equipment and approach would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Hi mate.

Option 1 won't work, unless of course you only plan to use one ADSL modem at a time. IMHO thats a bit of a messy solution, and would cause problems if you wanted to use both at the same time.

Option 2 is your best bet. Assuming your existing ADSL modem is USB only, your best bet would be to buy a combined ADSL modem/router/wireless access point. Run a network cable from this to your PC. (If your PC doesn't have an ethernet port, network cards are cheap as chips or if you don't want to open your PC up you can get a USB Ethernet port from Belkin).

Then you will need a wireless bridge such as the Linksys WET11 to wirelessly connect from your Xbox to your access point. An ethernet cable will need to be run between the bridge and Xbox.

There may be some option to use some form of powerline networking, but to be honest you'd probably find it easier to setup and find help with a wireless solution.

3. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,788
    Well i recently bought a D-Link DSL-G604T Modem/Router/Wireless Access point and a D-Link DWL-G810 wireless gaming adaptor. didn't take long to setup (though default management IP's for the dlink boxes were in different subnets!!) and i have my router in an upstairs bedroom and the xbox in the lounge and it runs perfectly.

Had to do some minor configurations to get the voice working (enabling UPnP and a few ports detailed in xbox live FAQ solved this) and the connection has been stable for the past 3 weeks solid

I would go this route if running a cable is not practical from the router to the xbox.

4. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

That's great information, much appreciated. Option 2 was always my preferred route but I did not know what kit would be required, thanks for the info – hopefully I will be online soon!!

Cheers

5. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one more question – are these wireless routers and gaming adapters approved by Microsoft? I heard that they approve some and not others.

Thanks

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    I think there is a list of approved kit on one of their sites somewhere. Most things work.

The main suggestion I'd give is to go for all your stuff from the same manufacturer. Although in theory they should all work together as they are all certified to the same standard, in reality life will be easier sticking with one brand.

My own setup is all Netgear stuff and I've never had a single problem. From this I run two desktop PCs wirelessly, a laptop (with built in non-Netgear Wi Fi), and a Netgear wireless bridge. They all happily coexist with my video sender, DECT phone and various bits of bluetooth kit.

7. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember, that wireless will have trouble sending signals through some walls. If you have signal problems, you may have to reposition your wireless router and have both devices running wireless. Most houses are fine but I know a friend has a very weak signal in his attic due to poor signal strength.

BTW, option 1 isn't as bad as it sounds, if you are the only user of the PC how often will you be running both at the same time?

8. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, it will be extremely rare when I will need both Xbox and PC connected on line at the same time. There is only two of us in the house (me and wife) and wife never uses Xbox and rarely uses PC so probably not too much of a problem going with option 1. However, for convenience it would be nice to not be worried about needing access to ADSL on both PC and Xbox at same time but in reality will be rare when this would happen.

I guess another concern of option 2 is will the signal be strong enough given that the my PC is in a room on first floor and the Xbox is in a room 2 floors lower in basement!

9. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always put the router in the middle if you suffer from signal degradation. You'll just need to put a wireless card in your PC then.

10. Sparkyuk

Sparkyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt an ordinary wireless setup will suffice. The distance between your Xbox and your PC is too great to get a stable connection. Trust me, it will only cause you to tear your hair out. I have my PC's in the loft and my xbox on the ground floor. The signal strength on my wireless network is to low to give any kind of reliable service. Unfortunately at present I have a 30 meter patch cable running from my router to the xbox when I want to play.

Some time soon I may be getting a system that allows you to send eathernet data over the household wiring by pluging a module into the mains socket and then into the xbox. so you may want to investigate this yourself.

Have a peep at http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html

11. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now starting to think that I should just keep things simple (and cheaper) and buy an ADSL modem and go for the Xbox direct connection eg Option 1.

It will be very rare (if ever) that I would need both Xbox and PC on line as I am the primary user!

I assume that if I went for this option that each time i require connection from either PC or Xbox to ADSL then I will simply manually connect to ADSL from teh PC or Xbox as and when required. Would having 2 ADSL modems connected to telephone sockets at same time cause interference even if only one is connected at one time?

Thanks

12. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a side note, will a xbox live wireless setup work if you also use wireless game controllers or will they intefere?

Thanks

13. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, you can use wireless controllers with the wireless router. The router uses 2.4GHz (i think) for it's wireless whereas the wireless controllers use Radio Frequency (which is different).

14. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That dLan device looks quite interesting. Interested to know how it works if you try it Sparky?

Ta

15. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks,

I have a second question. I curently have a 12 month Xbox live pack which I havent yet used as I am still waiting for my Wireless game adaptor to arrive. However I have seen Rallisport II + 12 month X-box live pack for £27. Given rallisport II is £15 this means I am paying £12 for the 12 month xbox live sub.

Do I therefore now have two years of Xbox live or can i only use one since Xbox live asks for a credit card which I am assuming will be used for renewal. I also have 2 x 2months free from some of my games.

How should I use these to get the max benefit from them? Should I use the 2 x 2 months free subs followed by the 2 x 12 months packs I have??

Thanks

16. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YOu can renew by either cc (taken automatically when your sub expires) or by using the voucher in an xbl pack. So by buyng the rally spoy box you will have two years. However, will xbl be around in two years? Remember, Xboxnext will be out next year etc, although they may well let you transfer your sub from xbox to xboxnext

17. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Where did you find that deal please? Spill the beans

:D

18. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Beware : the Rallisport Challenge 2 Bundle from Amazon is only a 3 month subscription