1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Live - Skill Levels

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by stevegreen, Jan 13, 2004.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have only recently had an XBox and only even more recently gained a broadband connection at home.

I have played online on my old PC a few times, but never really got into it as when I played Quake (yes this was a few years back) my skill level was just not up to scratch and i lost interest very quickly.

Xbox Live is appealing, but what is the general set up like, are there beginners sections etc or is it just a big free for all with all the best players simply thrashing us mortals?

Can someone explain the team set up as well. If I went Live I would like to join in with the AVForums team.

Cheers

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just play with people you know etc. Theres a hell of a lot of idiots on Live (mostly Yanks). Come and join our(i play with a load of avforums guys) games just add me to your friends list and join me when i'm online - I'm mostly playing Rainbow six 3 and a bit of Links and Topspin.
    I'll give you lots of help with the games - just ask, as we all started as newbies.
    We play for fun and have a good laugh, unlike some people who seem to take it far to serious.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think another problem with PC games is that generally they are easier to cheat on so you get shot through walls etc.

What kind of games are you into? I'm playing PGR2 mostly at the mo and it's a hoot and nobody minds beginners on the track except a very few idiots. If you can find a good room with some brits you will have a larf and find 99% of people very friendly and helpful. I have been on tonight and we ended up playing with the worst cars as some players hadn't unlocked any better ones yet. Still fun though.

Also, many games have co-op modes like Ghost recon where you play against the computer so skill levels are not as important.

You won't regret it.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have Links 2004 on the way and that is appealing to me on Live. Also Top Spin Tennis which is supposed to be brilliant.

I have to get a wireless connector for my XBox so it will talk to my router. Does anyone else use these?

5. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    mmmm is that freshmeat i smell.

no mate,get on xbl and join us,ive been on for nearly a year and i often die in the first 10 seconds!!
    but what we have is wicked laugh and take the **** out any nobheads we dont like.

great fun.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I think that really is a misconception, yes there are some cheats out there, but the majority of PC players do not cheat.

What generally happens is that players who are not quite as skilled or new to the game start crying cheat when they get killed a lot :p

Most FPS games now have easy ways of spotting true cheats. For instance in CS you can view another persons viewpoint, you can see straightaway if they are cheating by the way they look through the level.

I have rarely seen any true cheats, usually just extremely skillful players. I have been called a cheat so many times on CS, it is just funny. The funniest thing is that my mate sometimes does turn on his cheats and even with them he is still lame, being able to see through a wall makes it about ten times more confusing.

Besides X-Box Live is not free from cheating, I have heard reports that Top Spin is full of hacking.

Online play is so worth it though, and X-Box live is very very impressive in it's ease of setting up and use.

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    That sounds like a challenge to me. I will have to get some practice in on Links, get on Live and look you up. I had Tiger Woods on the Gamecube and completed virtually everything so hopefully i can get the grip of Links 2004 as easily.

Wish I was as good at the real game :(

8. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Do you guys mind if I add you to my friends list? I've been on Live since Christmas and love it, but I've found it hard to find good games on RS6 and GR:IT. I'm not completely useless, but I'm sufficiently crap to need a little assistance

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    My xbox has arrived.. xbox live and wireless adaptor should be here in the next week.. so I'll be up for some gaming as well..

So far I have PGR2,topspin for online play. Should be getting some of the RS6 type games soon!

Matt

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Which wireless adaptor have you gone for Matt?

11. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Matt and Steve,

See you online soon I know you'll love it.
    More than welcome to look me up as well.
    As Damage has said the guys on here are a top bunch and will make you feel very welcome.

:)

12. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi Steve, I have only been "Live" for the last 3 weeks and already it has taken over my life. I have a Netgear wireless broadband router and it seems to work fine. My main "Live" game is Links so if you feel like losing at anytime feel free to play me (Usually back fires when I say stuff like that:suicide: ). I just got Top spin today so I will start playing that on Live soon once I work out how to play it.
    Let us know what your user tag is so I can keep my eyes open.

Xbox tag: Mr Maximus

13. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Mark,

I have just looked at the prices to get a wireless adaptor for my XBox to link up to my Linksys router. I could connect it directly but I have not got a wire long enough at the moment :(

I think it will be about a month or so before i get it all hooked up, but I have links 2004 and Topspin on the way so i'll get practising for the time of the 'Tournament' :)

14. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've played a frankly obscene amount of Top Spin, and encountered one cheat. Even that was an exploitation of a glitch rather than a hack (though it's no less annoying).

15. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I take it your router isn't wireless then Steve. What is the make of the wireless adapter you are getting?

16. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    My router is wireless mate, but i need the adaptor to plug into the back of the XBox. As i say I could link directly to the router using a cable and 2 RJ-45 connectors but i really don't want the wires everywhere (kind of belies the point of the wireless)

It's a Linksys BEFW11S4 router and i'm on Blueyonder. I shall probably get the Linksys WGA54 adaptor which is ~£60. So that and the subscription (£30 from Amazon) it's nigh on £90 to get the thing online :eek:

I need some more shelves in my flat first :D

17. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Steve.. I have on order with amazon exactly what u mention.

Should be sent out in the next few days..

i already use the wireless g linksys router with my laptop.!

Cheers

Matt

18. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Fair enough mate, just give us a shout once your up and running.:smoke: