Xbox Live Set-up. Please Help!

boingboing

Established Member
Reaction score
Please help as I am a virgin.......to this site and Xbox Live. I've just had Wanadoo Broadband delivered together with my Xbox Live kit and TOCA 2 so I am a very happy chap, but I dont know what else I need.

I have my PC in my far bedroom and the Xbox about 40ft in the lounge. As I understand I will also need a router, surely my best option here is a wireless router (I have noticed 2 on Amazon, Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router for £58 and a Linksys Etherfast Wireless Cable Router for £36) do I get one of these or is there a better option.

Thanks

Pete

You don't need a router necessarily, it's just there to make your life easier. You could just run a 40ft crossover ethernet cable from your PC to your Xbox, and turn on Internet Connection Sharing on your PC. This does mean you have to have your PC on when you're on Live, however.

If you want rid of the 40ft cable and/or you don't want your PC on all the time you're on Live, a wireless router is your best bet. I use this Netgear WGR614 and a ME101 bridge, but then I'm on cable.

Do you have an external ethernet connected modem? If so, this connection is good for you too. However, if your modem is USB connected, then you may want a combined ADSL modem/wireless gateway, which costs a little more, but provides a nice all-in-one solution (you can get rid of the USB modem then too).

I'd recommend buying from eBuyer or equivalent for the best price, but Amazon are fine too.

Hope this helps...

Lorenzini - Thanks for your advice, From what I understand Modem is Thomson USB, speedtouch connection, 2 filters included.

I've just spotted from another thread on this forum a Linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter from Ebuyer for £66, do I just need to get this only and I'm sorted (is this the nice all-in-one solution that you reccommended?) or would you go for something else cheaper that would do the same job?

Wireless is the only option for me.

Thanks again.

Pete

ps. Looking forward to having a bash on TOCA 2

Unfortunately, the gaming adapter you mention is only the receiving end of the wireless connection. You need the wireless router to transmit and share your broadband connection, like the Linksys ADSL Gateway which is the Linksys equivalent of the all-in-one connection I mentioned. You could get rid of your USB modem then.

To me this makes the most sense, as you'll have to buy some kind of Wireless Access Point anyway, but this way you don't have to have your PC on all the time.

Btw, you don't really need a G rated gaming adapter for your connection to the Xbox. I assume your ADSL connection is 512kbs, and even a B rated 11Mbs is more than enough for this connection, even if you plan to get a better connection in the future. The B rated gaming adapter is cheaper than the G.

Add me when you get on Live, and I'll see you on the racetrack!

Lorenzini - Forgive me for being a thick git, so basically I need a sender from my PC and a receiver by the Xbox?

Yes its a 512k connection.

So whats the cheapest solution for me?

Cheers

Pete

Originally posted by boingboing

Lorenzini - Forgive me for being a thick git, so basically I need a sender from my PC and a receiver by the Xbox?

Thats right - you need both a transmitter and receiver. I think many of these options have been discussed in previous threads like "Cheap way of connecting a console to your WLAN" - I'd suggest you have a look through threads like that.

The cheapest option you could have though, would be to connect a WAP (Wireless Access Point) to your PC, and then a bridge to your Xbox. I reckon it'd be about £80-90 for the pair (roughly). The option I mentioned previously would be about £130, and with that you'd be able to use Live without your PC on, and so would pay for itself in electric bills over time. Just depends what you want/how often you'll use it...

We were all network virgins sometime! (I'm still quite new to it all...)

:smashin:

I've just spotted on another thread that I could possibly move the modem from the PC upstairs down onto the Xbox downstairs as there is nobody else using the PC when they want to be on the Xbox and it only takes a minute.

To me this sounds like an excellent idea. Would I need a special cable?

I really DO appreciate all of your help, and hopefully can pass on my new found knowledge to someone one day.

Cheers

Pete

ps Is TOCA 2 and PGR2 as good as it sounds, I cant wait to have a go.

I've just spotted on another thread that I could possibly move the modem from the PC upstairs down onto the Xbox downstairs as there is nobody else using the PC when they want to be on the Xbox and it only takes a minute.

Just to put my 2p worth in, afaik all modems supplied by Wanadoo/Freeserve are USB connection which will not connect directly to your xbox. (unless i've missed the post where you do have a ethernet type connection modem, in which case just ignore my drivel)

Ah - good point mate!

You can plug the modem in anywhere, but you need a PC to connect with the USB port. So you would have to either
a) move the PC to the Xbox
b) buy a new modem that connects via ethernet.

So it looks like you will have to buy hardware after all...

You're not wrong! It's a USB Connector! So next the obvious question where do I get a modem with an ethernet connector?

I will get onto Xbox Live......wont I?

Cheers

Pete

You will, but you will need to spend some more of your hard earned wedge to do it.

Check out www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk for and ethernet connection modem.

That would do the job, and you need a straight-through cable (ie. not crossover), which is included with the modem anyway.

Just as a final tip, and a good starting point for anyone setting up on Xbox Live for the first time is this help website that shows some options for setting up. Good luck mate, and see you online soon!

i hope youve got an uncapped service from your isp cos gaming eats up your allowance,specially if your like the rest of us and play for long hours at the w/end.

Finally took the plunge at PC World and bought a Zoom x3 for £59.99 but it doesnt work!!!

I took it up to the counter with the Zoom x4 which had a Xbox Live Compatible sticker on it but was £10 more. So I took them both up to the help desk and they said "the only difference was that the x3 didnt have a Firewall and they must have missed putting the Xbox Live Compatible sticker on it in the factory"

I took it home and tried to get connected and at the Connect Status screen I kept having the DNS Server Error message, I phoned Wanadoo to get their DNS Primary and Seconday numbers, input them, and still no joy. Then I called Xbox Live support and they said that it wasnt on their list of compatible modems and got me to press the 'Y' button from which you should have a connection of 1.35 or more, mine was 1.00 which showed it's incompatibilty.

They also got me to buy a CAT6 Ethernet cable which was £8.99, yet everything you need is in the box. I've read many messages now how PC World staff are just glorified McDonalds workers and I'm beginning to see why.

I think I shall take the x3 back and try the x4 as it said on the box it was compatible.

Pete :smashin:

I have the X3 modem and it does work with XBL service.
You have to make sure it is setup 100% correctly via the zoom software.
I will check the settings later for you and post my results if you like.

Oh and by the way you need a cate5E cable not a cat 6.

Re PC World Staff. Depends on who you get, you either get the PC Geek who can tell you the in's and out's of every component ever made or you get the sacked mcdonalds worker who can't spell their own name, looks as though you got the latter.

colesy - I called Zoom earlier and they told me the same, if you could let me know I would be very grateful. Also the x3 came with a CAT5 cable anyway so I shall take the CAT6 back, which incidently the muppet at PC World told me the CAT6 was better and it was also backward compatible.

iamtheone - couldn't agree with you more. Apologies to some intelligent students etc who have a brain and work there to get extra dosh. Also I have Tiger Woods 2004 obviously not on Live, is Links 2004 any good?

Cheers

Pete

I had TW 2004 but traded it in for Links which is 50 times better. Game has the same swing system as TW(which is good) but the overall game is more realistic(or serious) plus you can play on live which is the be all and end all for me really.

boingboing-
Here are my settings. I am using Eclipse as my isp
Basic Setup
VPI=0 VCI=38
ENCAPSULATION =PPPoA VC-Mux
BRIDGE Disabled
Username your isp username
Password your password
Service Name (optional)
Disconnect Timeout =0
Authentication= CHAP
Automatic Reconnect = YES

There are many more pages of options, and too many to list here so if your not sure of anything just let me know which ones and maybe I can help you out further. Oh and it may be worth setting the DMZ to your xbox

If I ever get onto Xbox Live it will be a :censored: miracle! Do other people have these problems or is it just me!

CD installed
Shut down computer
connect phone cable to ADSL on Modem and into wall jack
connect Ethernet cable to Modem
connect Ethernet cable to computer.....................****! No Ethernet socket (sorry jack!)

What now??????? :lesson: :lease:

Is everybody who is on XBox live MCSC qualified?

Cheers

Pete

Ah - slight problem then. You need a network card on your PC. Any basic one will do, they are relatively cheap (mine was £15ish) and it goes in a PCI slot inside your PC, which then creates an ethernet port.

And I know what you mean about the qualifications - MS or whoever seriously need to simplify the networking business if internet gaming is to really take off. I went through exactly what you're going through about a year ago, and I'm still learning. Take a look at that help page I posted a bit ago, its a real help!

Btw - its all worth it in the end. You'll see...

Thanks again mate. I think if it wasnt for this forum I would have given up a long time ago so thanks to everyone for the help.

I've just spotted this which I think will do the Job? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...gmicflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&sku=615007

Totally agree about simplyfying Xbox Live setup, but you're right it certainly teaches you which I suppose is a good thing.

I've even just ordered Links 2004 (£24.99 from Play)....and I'm not even on-line yet!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom