xbox live renewed without my consent

cabanatuan

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have stopped playing my Xbox 360 for a while and my live sub was about to expire end of September. To my amazement though, my LIVE GOLD has been automatically been renewed!! I don’t know why as I did not register my card details to do that and I only every used my card once but for my bro’s gamertag.

What can I do? Can I get my money back? I can’t believe MS did this. Normally if my LIVE account was running out I normally buy a prepaid card

When you register there will have been an option to automatically rebill the card you registered with the account.

Try getting in touch with MS support. They should be able to cancel and refund.

edit:

Annual Renewal

Q: I bought an Xbox Live Starter Kit last year and I am up for renewal soon. Will my current membership renew to a monthly membership or an annual membership?

A: If you started your Xbox Live Gold Membership using a prepaid card (such as the one in your XboxLive Starter Kit), your membership will renew to an Xbox Live Silver Membership after one year. If you want to automatically renew to an Xbox Live Gold monthly or annual membership, you must update your membership and provide an authorized payment method, such as a credit card, which can be automatically charged for renewals.

Refunds

Q: What happens if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold Membership?

A: If you have an annual Xbox Live Gold Membership that was purchased with a credit card and you cancel it within 60 days of creating it (based on settlement date when funds were assessed to your credit card), you will receive a full refund. This refund policy applies to Xbox Live Gold Memberships only.

Last edited:
ok so i can get a refund then. 29th of october is when they charged me. whats the number i can use on my mobile. not the 0800 one but i heard there was another one.

btw what does this mean (based on settlement date when funds were assessed to your credit card), people can be dodgy at times but is it 60 days AFTER they took money out of my account?

Not sure on that one.... Google may be able to help you though!

ok what about that (based on settlement date when funds were assessed to your credit card)

Thats a very good question.

I think the answer is in the statement really:

If you have an annual Xbox Live Gold Membership that was purchased with a credit card and you cancel it within 60 days of creating it (based on settlement date when funds were assessed to your credit card)

This to me suggests that you will only be refunded for the months you have not "used" As the full refund is for new XBL accounts only... But thats only my interpretation.

I would ring M$ as soon as possible and discuss your options.

I would also go to xbox.com and alter your billing information so you don't get charged again next year!

Last edited:
Thats a very good question.

I think the answer is in the statement really:

If you have an annual Xbox Live Gold Membership that was purchased with a credit card and you cancel it within 60 days of creating it (based on settlement date when funds were assessed to your credit card)

This to me suggests that you will only be refunded for the months you have not "used" As the full refund is for new XBL accounts only... But thats only my interpretation.

I would ring M$ as soon as possible and discuss your options.

I would also go to xbox.com and alter your billing information so you don't get charged again next year!

well what does it mean by created? when i created my first every xbox live account? or when my new 12month was created?

tbh I'm not sure.

The best thing to do is ring M$ and ask them what their policy is.

It's a bit open to interpretation really.

I'd like to say you can cancel ANY annual subscription within 60 days of activation, but i'm not entirely sure.

I honestly have no idea why you would buy an xbox live subscription by giving ms your credit card number when you can just as easily buy a yearly code online for cheaper.

Me either, now that i actually know you can get a decent 13 month code for like £25

But, Hind sight is a wonderful thing.

I need to cancel my Credit card too.

I haven't had a 360 since march and i don't think i will be picking up another now. Is it going to be a pain to get the card cancelled? I know MS support are not the easiest to deal with either.

I called them back in March and asked for my windows LIVE account to be deleted so that there's no record of me even any existing. They didn't understand what i was on about and saying it's becuase of something being tied to my account.

It annoys me as i'm completely within my rights to ask a company to delete any record of me under the data protection act

would it be quicker to report card lost and get a new one sent. they wont have your new numbers. thats if ms are makeing it hard or wont take your details off there system.

Also, i have LOADS of Microsoft points attached to my account. Is there any way to get rid of them or give them to someone else as a gift as that's the reson why Microsoft won't close my account.

Has the money actually been taken?Can you connect to LIVE?
Silly questions maybe ,but I forgot to uodate my card details after the one I used originally expired.For the last two years I have received emails telling me that my sub has been successfully renewed.It even says it expires 12 months from that date when I check on the 360.But of course no money has been taken and I cannot connect to LIVE, which is handy because I use the codes from Ebay instead.

Called Microsoft and went through the process of getting my Bank Card off from my account. She said that's all done but wil get a call tomorrow about it although i can't understand why?

This is the only thing i really hated about live....

Called Microsoft and went through the process of getting my Bank Card off from my account. She said that's all done but wil get a call tomorrow about it although i can't understand why?
To ensure you were the right person and not someone cancelling on your behalf?

I have cancelled previous cards at https://billing.microsoft.com/.

It took me 3 months to cancel when I sold my 360. The first month, they said I needed to wait a few days before the next month began. I done that -- phoned them up and cancelled it. The next payment was made. Apparently their system messed up, so I had to wait another month. I done that, but yet again, but payment was taken from my account. I phoned them up, and the personal dealing with it had left the company so all the reminders were erased. So after all that, they stole an extra £15 from me. They wouldn't re-fund me because I "could" have used it and they have no way of telling. Utter thieving scum. :thumbsdow

So glad I'm with Sony now -- free PSN. No worries. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's been a few weeks since i phoned Microsoft to delete my credit card details and they still haven't done it. They said they would delete the account too but they are still both there.

I noticed the Marketplace now available on xbox.com so i logged into both of my accounts and spent all the remaining M$ points i had, so both are now Zero.

Once, the card details are deleted there's no reason for them to not delete the accounts. It's nothing major but it does my head in that they are so awkward to deal with for something so simple :mad:

my sons auto renewed in may which i was annoyed about as it charges the full £39.99 when my account was bought for £24(13 months) using a prepaid code.

my card details exist on both my sons and my own account but thankfully the card has now expired. when it comes to points or live subbies i now always do it via prepaid cards as it is far cheaper.

Ive sent Microsoft more emails saying how angry i am that this is still not sorted. They've said i need to call them again which i will do later.

On one of my accounts it says that the hotmail account linked to the LIVE ID needs to be closed in order to close the Windos LIVE ID account.

Where you do you close a hotmail account as i can't the option anywhere when i'm logged into hotmail?

Can some help?

i cant help much but i am glad i dont have to deal with MS and their unreliable console(from my experience) anymore. i do however have a working 360 but hardly use it.

poor CS to top it all off makes me not wanna spend a single penny on their xbox live ever again.

I'm just about to call them back and my God are they going to get it :D

Apparently it's an automatic process of getting the card details removed. It takes exacly 30 days after you 1st call so my details should be removed by the 14th December. We'll see :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom