1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Live Rant

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mikeq, Apr 9, 2003.

1. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thought I would share with you my issue with XBox Live.

Bought Starter Kit from Toys R Us on Saturday 5 April. On the Sunday decide to open it up and get on line.

So reading through the stuff realise I need to put the Starter Disk in the XBox to get thing going. The only disk I find in it is a BTOpenworld disc, thinking that must be it stick it the console and hey presto, not an XBox disk:confused:

Not to worry I think I've got Splinter Cell I can at least get on-line, download the additional levels. Put it in, XBox kicks into action, updates the XBox and I start the process to create my account.

Get to the 'Subscription' code part, which can be found on the cover of the starter disk, aaarrrggghhh.

continued next message

2. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phone Customer Support, tried to assertain if I need there should be another disk (as well as the BTOpenworld disk), oops deaf ears. Okay lets run through your little support script, IP yep, DNS yep etc etc. Okay lets create a new account, country yep, gamertag yep, subscription code nope don't have one. But you need one, I know thats what I was trying to tell you. Why don't you have one, because I don't have a starter disk....You'll need to take it back to the shop.

So today travel the 40 miles to Toys R Us, explain the situation initially told they can't do anything about it, Microsoft policy it has to be dealt with by them. Bit of hanging around while they investigate the situation, they phone Microsoft and are told if I contact them with my XBox serial number then they will resolve the issue.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit more discussion with Toys R Us rep' eventually find out that the starter kit should be a sealed box, my one wasn't, so has obviously been opened in the shop. Box had been opened to show a customer the contents previously, but everything would have been put back sir. Of course it would, how do I prove otherwise.

So tonight phone Microsoft support ask to speak to a senior person so that I do not have to go through the story many times and get a resolution from someone with the responsibility to do something. Unfortunately none available.

So go through the story with the Customer advisor, told this is really an issue with Toys R Us. Tell him I understand all about the sale of goods act etc etc but have been told by TRU that they have been informed by Microsoft not to do refunds (basically in case the consumer is trying to scam them, which to me is calling me a liar/fraudster whatever).

So, I informed MS that I am not travelling the 40 miles back to the shop again to return it and that I want this issue resolved and some answers to this total farse, so call has been escalated.

Lets see what happens....

Mike

4. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Threaten legal action. Start asking peoples first and last names, the position they hold and who they report to. It'll start feeling as if all the s*** will come their way. That normaly gets people moving.

5. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Vection.

I always get names, date/time, method of contact and make sure its all written down. Tomorrow I am going to contact Toys R Us also.

If I get no joy from either of them, then BBC Watchdog here I come.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have had a CD in a sleeve with the number on it. You have been sold goods that are 'not of merchantable quality' and 'not fit for purpose'. The law is on your side and the need to prove that the disc was included lies with TRU, which they clearly cannot do. Tell them you are bringing in trading standards unless you get an immediate response and if you don't phone trading standards straight away. You need to act decisively on this. As previous poster says, take all names and note times and dates.

The law is with you and TRU should sort this if they are anything of it. It's clearly a case of someone returning the kit having nicked the disk so they can get a free connection.

Good luck.

7. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also tell who evers on the phone that you are recording the conservation,just in case,and i find that works.:devil: :smashin:

8. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    lets hope you get this sorted - xbox live is such fun. Always make sure that anything you buy is sealed. That way you can be sure (most of the time) that the correct contents will be inside....

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    sounds to me as though TRU are at fault, not really sure what Microsoft can do ,

They've probably had people pinching,

although surely the Live serial number should correspond to the subscription code - MS should be able to match it up, try emailing their tech support.

10. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

tvdude - it never really crossed my mind about the package being sealed as I have bought stuff in the past that hasn't been sealed and wasn't supposed to be. But in the future I will make sure and check everything that is not in a sealed package.

Bonesy - I agree with you TRU are at fault here but, neither of the 2 companies can agree on the procedure for this and end up mucking me about with conflicting stories from both sides. I was there when the TRU rep made the call to MS and their reponse was that I had to phone them with the serial number of my XBox (why that would resolve anything I'm not sure). The TRU rep asked MS if they wanted to speak to me there and then, they declined.

The story I got from TRU is that MS have told them not to accept any returns of 'Live' but refer to MS. The TRU rep even said this was because it is possible to carry out a scam, now wether this is a TRU directive or MS I don't know, but I am definately going to demand answers to this farce from both MS and TRU.

In addition to this I am going to demand that TRU carry out an investigation in the branch concerned to determine what happened to MY missing disk. By the end of it they are going to wish they just replaced the disk.

The main problem is I don't have a Live serial number or subscription code, I did ask MS lastnight if there was an correlation between one of the three barcodes on the packaging and the subscription code, to be fair the advisor didn't know but didn't think there would be.

Here's a question, anyone that has bought Live, was the disk sealed in with the headset or was it just in the box itself alongside the BTOpenworld cd-rom?

Mike

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't worry about any agreements between MS and TRU, that's got nothing to do with you and your statutory rights are not effected. Get onto trading standards. this is bu**-****!

12. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    total bulcrap if you ask me - it beggers belief that companies act like this - has anyone ever had a problem, phoned a company up, and been impressed with their service - does my head in ... good luck mate - look up monkeyleader when you get online and we can take out your frustrations on some Unreal or GR ..

13. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    My head set was in a sealed plastic case inside the live pack. The live cd was seperate

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Use Xbconnect ! Miles better, better choice of games and it is free !

15. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought.

MS phoned me back tonight. Whilst trying their best to be helpful there is nothing they can do I need to take this up with the retailer. They did confirm that all retailers have been informed to replace the product should there be any issues as they cannot discover or regenerate subscription codes, so TRU are giving conflicting information.

However, MS also said that the Live CD is sealed in with the headset. Can anyone else confirm this, I would have thought it was a graham.myers said.

I will be in Edinburgh on Friday so I will go into the TRU branch to get this resolved, I hope. Now where did I put those boxing gloves....

16. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recall my Live! CD being in the headset packaging. I'm sure it was with the openworld CD lose in the box

17. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have the rectangular box, and it has a little cardboard pocket on the inside back. This is where the openworld cd, xbox live cd were.
    The headset and communicator module thing where in one of those nigh-on impenetrable microsoft plastic blisters (I didn't have my military grade laser blowtorch with me, so I bashed and tore at it until it came open like I do with every microsoft thing I buy) and there were some leaflets. Cds in pocket, stuff in main bit.
    I don't know if that.. helps.. But people were talking about it