XBox Live over Netgear Wireless

Footsie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Help!

I have a Netgear DG824M wireless ADSL modem gateway which I know works fine as I'm able to share my broadband internet connection with my pocket PC and laptop.

I've bought a Netgear ME102 and I'm trying to get XBox Live to work by connecting the ME102 to the XBox using a crossover cable. I haven't got a clue about IP addresses, MAC addresses, DHCP, DNS etc. etc. Please does anyone know how I should configure the 102/824/XBox so they all see each other and I can finally join you guys having fun on Live?

Many thanks.

So the DG824M is a wireless ADSL router and the ME102 is a wireless access point, is that right?

I'm not sure if that will work, I have a wireless ADSL router but bought an ethernet/wireless bridge (linksys WET11) which is connected to the XBox to allow it to talk wirelessly to the router. If it will work it should be with a normal network cable not a crossover cable, try changing the cable first.

Mike

Thanks Mikeq. I've already tried different cables - the Netgear support site recommended the crossover cable. I had assumed that the ME102 wireless access point, if configured in point to point mode, would act like an ethernet bridge. But I now think you're right, and what I need is a WET11. I'll try one of these and see if this sorts it.

The DG824M is a combined router/wireless access point/ADSL modem and seems to be a good piece of kit.

i had the same trouble until i brought a WET11 as i already had computer networked together through netgear 301 ad-hoc.

WET11 i soo straight forward!

I considered a wet11 when I was setting up my nwe broadband connection and wireless network.

I ended up plugging the xbox into the rj45 socket directly and wireless access to the pc upstairs (and a wireless laptop too).

If starting from scratch I think it worked out a bit cheaper

There is a firmware upgrade for the ME102 to allow it to become a wireless bridge like the wet11.
Have a look on the netgear site as this is the only way you will be able to acheive what you want to do.

I've now bought the WET11 and spent a frustrating evening yesterday trying to get it to talk to the DG824M. I know the problem is with the wireless connection as the XBox will connect to XBox Live if I connect it directly to the 824 via a CAT5 cable.

I've tried leaving the XBox on automatic for IP and DNS, then I've tried entering specific addresses, but I haven't a clue what addresses I should be using. By chance I did get it working momentarily, but once I powered everything down and back up again, those settings no longer worked.

So please can someone tell me what settings I need to make on the 824M, WET11 and XBox to make it all work? Please start at the very basics - i.e. should the WET11 be in infrastructure or ad hoc mode.

Although ultimately I will set WEP encryption and MAC filtering, these are all off for now just to get it working.

Many thanks.

mine WET11 is in ad-hoc mode, this is because the wireless networking around the house is through an ad-hoc network.

The ip and gateways numbers i got from the ip of the network in my house.

i thought the main things that mattered was the SSID and the channel to be the same, maybe im wrong

first of all what type of adsl service are you using ?

do you have a dynamic ip or static ip address' ???

if you are using a dynamic ip service i take it that all your pcs are set to receive an ip address automatically ???

if that is the case then you should set the wet11 to do the same and as far as the xbox goes I didnt set anything on that at all.

i thought that out of the box it would be set up for to obtain the address/subnet automatically and it was.

So all you need to set on the wet11 is the ssid and make sure it is set to obtain address automatically. then go into the xbox settings and make sure that is the same.

if you have static ip address look on you network connections tab and see what the ip range is for that card and then give the wet11 an address in the same range and also the xbox.

should look somthing like this, mine is static btw at work, but even if yours is dynamic it will give you an idea of what the routers address is, because everything has to be in the same range.

Physical Address: 00-20-78-1B-18-AF
IP Address: 217.155.xxx.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
Default Gateway: 217.155.xxx.6
DNS Servers: 212.23.8.1, 212.23.8.6

I think maybe you have been fiddling a little too much and made it more complicated than it actually is. perhaps best to reset everything and start over.

Good luck ;)

edit oh and you should have your wireless as infastructure not ad-hoc as you are using an access point. make sure that is the case.

Hi,

Gizlaroc the info you gave there is for the public IP address, which Footsie's router will have as its external address.

Footsie, your router will have an internal address (i.e. 192.168.1.1) and if it is DHCP enabled(i.e. give out IP addresses) it will assign a certain range and subnet mask

My router gives out addresses in the range 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.255 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, if you configure the WET11 to set these manually you must make sure that the IP you give will be one that the router does not give in my case I could assign the WET11 to 192.168.1.9.

If I gave it one that the router could assign for example 192.168.1.10 then the router could also give out this IP causing a conflict on the network. It is also important if configured manually that the subnet mask is identical, in my case all devices on my internal network(LAN) must have a subnet 255.255.255.0

Personally I would leave it on automatic (as long as your router acts as a DHCP server).

I have my WET11 set on infrastructure mode, and your setup sounds identical to mine, be aware that on this mode you cannot set the channel number that wireless uses, it shows you in the WET11 setup screen but you cannot change it. I had to reconfigure my router wireless channel to be the same as the WET11 before it would work.

So if the WET11 wireless channel is 11 then set the wireless channel on the router to be 11.

When the WET11 is connected to the XBox I think the switch on the back of the WET11 must be set to X (i.e. crossover).

Make sure you reboot your router, unplug the WET11 for a few seconds also before powering it back up.

There is a browser interface for the WET11, just go into a browser and type the IP address of the WET11 and if everything is talking okay it should bring up a setup screen. There should be a page on your router config which shows you which IP's are assigned to which MACs.

Mike

Yeah sorry, I should have made it clearer that I meant look for the ip address that your router is assigning to see what range it is in. I didnt mean it would be a similar ip to the one i posted, and saying that I was using a static ip at work wasnt very clear, I think your router uses the 192.168.1.xxx range from memory.
and dhcp is on by default.

so you should be ready to go.

one thing to try is, turn all your wireless pc's off and then turn on the xbox.
does it now work ??? being the only unit on the wireless infastructure ???

if it does then there is somthing else to look at.

Thanks guys.

gizlaroc, I'm a great believer that life's complicated enough without me adding to the chaos unnecessarily, so I tried leaving everything on auto long before I started messing with the settings. I'm still not sure why this didn't work.

Anyway, I bought the WET11 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk and emailed their tech support this morning. They replied as follows:-

"To get the two talking configure the following on the WET11.

WET11 should be set to Infrastructure mode
IP address should be manual - leave default 192.168.0.251
SSID should be the same as your DG824M

On your XBOX, under the Live settings configure the following
IP Address 192.168.0.5
Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (DG824M)
DNS Server 192.168.0.1 (DG824M)"

I tried this just now and it works! Why it needs to be like this is beyond me, but work it does.

Thanks all for your help.

"Wireless technology, uncluter your life"

I read that somnewhere, what a bag o'****** :rolleyes:

Glad to see you got it up and running, and look forward to seeing you online :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom