1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Live, no need for broadband?!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by gtg60, Jan 17, 2005.

1. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm so annoyed, for years (well months and months anyway) I've wanted to play online games with my Xbox, because my local exchange isn't DSL enabled I thought I never would. Recently my girlfriend who lives in a broadband enabled town got connected, hooray!
    So, last night I'm talking to my brother about how we can play Halo2 against each other over our home network for a bit of fun, our home network consists of an 8 port switch, 2x64k ISDN lines (that we usually run at 128k cos there's at least 2 of us on when we're on). So, while he's still surfing I disconnect my network cable from my PC and connect it to the XBox, lo and behold I'm signed into Xbox live what the fudge this can't be right! So, I think to myself that maybe it only needs a tiny bit of bandwidth to log in, so I decide to play a game of Halo2 (while my brother is still surfing) and it works!! And works perfectly!
    I'm so annoyed that I didn't know this ages ago but happy that I can play live games at home on my proper TV, you live and learn...

Keith

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I used to run my xbox on live on a 64k ISDN connection as well, games like PGR2 and Links 2004 were fine but R63 and Top Spin were lag fests, so for you to be playing Halo2 OK is a right result. Maybe one day you will get proper Broadband so it wont take 2 hours to download any 'live' patches!

3. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, It works fine as long as you don't want to host, halo 2 works differently to Rainbow 6, it spreads the data throughout all the xboxes, and picks the person with the best connection to host. If you run your ISDN (home highway?) connection at 128 kbps you should be fine on most games, though I suspect pro evo will lag like a biatch.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am absolutely amazed it works. It just shows how good the netcode is for Halo 2, its extremely effective at matching users to the best connection that is available to them.

I would be suprised if it works on the majority of other games, but if works on Halo 2 you have easily the best live game anyway.

5. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm guessing the fact that ISDN is a high speed but low bandwidth connection that is in my favour, sometimes my brother can surf sharing the network with me with no negative effects but sometimes it ruins the game.

Still I'm a happy camper as Halo2 is the ONLY game for me at the mo' :thumbsup:

Keith