1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Live newbie questions

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by shawkins002, Oct 17, 2003.

1. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having spent an hour looking on the net I am very confused. Time to ask the experts, if you don't mind:

I've just ordered a Dell Dimension 2400 (from the Dell outlet - celeron 2.2ghz, 256mb ram, 40gig hd, XP Pro etc for £159 inc Vat + delivery - bargain I think). I also have an standard UK Xbox.

The PC has an integrated NIC - I think that means it has an ethernet socket, right?

I want to get broadband, and have figured out that I need an ethernet modem and a router - right?

(Stupid) Questions are then:

1) Does the Xbox have to be plugged in to the modem/router thingy, or can it plug straight into a phone socket? The PC will be in a bedroom and the xbox in the lounge.

2) I have a phone socket in the lounge, which has a splitter at the wall with one phone in, and a extension cable going round to the sky box - which is where the Xbox lives. Can I put another splitter at the sky box end to plug the Xbox in?

3) I'm looking at aBt Broadband package, which for £99 gets you a combined modem and router (Speedtouch 530), + £29.99 a month for the broadband. Is that reasonable?

Cheers all.

Simon

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    1) Does the Xbox have to be plugged in to the modem/router thingy, or can it plug straight into a phone socket? The PC will be in a bedroom and the xbox in the lounge.

A NIC is a network card.

The XBox will need to be plugged into your router. As long as your router has a couple of ports you can have both in at the same time.

2) I have a phone socket in the lounge, which has a splitter at the wall with one phone in, and a extension cable going round to the sky box - which is where the Xbox lives. Can I put another splitter at the sky box end to plug the Xbox in?

You could try it, but there is a chance that the connection might not be good enough for your broadband to work. And you don't want to plug the Xbox in - you need to plug your modem/router into the ADSL splitter.

3) I'm looking at aBt Broadband package, which for £99 gets you a combined modem and router (Speedtouch 530), + £29.99 a month for the broadband. Is that reasonable?

Sounds a touch expensive to me - but the Speedtouch 530 is good (I've got one). It might be worth your while looking at a cheaper ADSL provider like Pipex, and supplying your own modem/router.

3. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - that helps, but I'm still confused on one thing. Sorry I am dumb at this.

How can I connect a PC in the bedroom and Xbox in the lounge? Where will the speedtouch thing go? Do I need to connect both the PC and the Xbox to the Speedtouch? If so that will mean a very long cable.

4. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I would tend to agree go with the router option if you use the nic card link you will have to have pc on at all time whilst on XBl if you use router this wouldnt matter

Try some one else bt very expensive for what you get try Demon Pipex Bulldog etc for you net connection but you will have to provide your router there are loads on ebay I only have a basic setup but hey it works for me and me router was about £30 tops off ebay new boxed

for demon I pat £25 mth all in no set up fees just cost of router

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    You need two cables. One connecting the PC to the Speedtouch, and one connecting the XBox to the Speedtouch.

You could always go wireless for your PC and/or Xbox but thats starting to get a bit more complex & expensive...

6. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK - cheers. Don't want to have huge cables everywhere. I may look in to the wireless thing later.

Alternatively, what type of modem would I need if I wanted to do it without a router - i.e. I took the PC offline, moved the modem in to the lounge, and connected the Xbox via the modem. Can I do that? Presumably much cheaper than a combined router modem. Will the free one I get with Bt Broadband allow me to do this?

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    if you live in a telewest area they do a dedicated broadband connection for £25/ month which i think is incrediable, and cable internet is slightly faster than adsl broadband, and can go up to 2 megabit, where as adsl is limited to 512kb/ps

8. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ADSL only for me I'm afraid. They put Telewest in across the road from us, but not in our flats. Only built 3 years ago - Lazy gits.

9. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got me a BT Voyager 2000 wireless modem/ router. I should say that I've had nightmares with it, though I think I'm finally sorted now. The problem is that BT can't provide a PCI receiver so I had to buy another brand. The first PCI wireless network card was made by Belkin and just wouldn't work properly with the BT Voyager. I now have a replacement by Netgear and am pleased to say that it is working wonderfully (except for the encryption so probably everyone on my block is using my broadband ;) ).

In short, if you're gonna go with the BT router and receiver, fine. Otherwise you're gonna have to be a bit patient and technically minded. Anway, it's better than having cables all over the place!