1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Live & Netgear Routers

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by CatManDo, Apr 30, 2005.

1. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hi

Just upgraded my Netgear 834g 54mb router for the Netgear 834gt 108mb router, and since I have changed Xbox live has failed on me a few times.

Does anyone know if there are issues with the Netgear 834gt and live?

I may just have to go back to my original router if the problems persist.

TIA

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I've been using the DG834GT for several months now and it's been as soild as a rock.
    When you say failed, can you elaborate?

To begin with I did have problems with NAT. I think this was down to the GT having the inbuilt double firewall, it was fairly well locked down out of the box.
    Several things I did-
    Forward the appropriate ports
    Add the Xbox IP into LAN IP Setup, then add the Xbox IP into DMZ

Hope this helps

3. unkle faz

unkle faz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    FAO: SPIKE: few question if u don't mind!!! it sounds as though u might b able to help!

i have a netgear d834, which connect both my laptop and xbox, however every now and then when connected to xbox live the connection terminates. i get referred to the xbox live 'help screen' which performs its test and either comes back as 'dns not resolved' or 'xbox live cannot be found'.

BUT....after five minutes or so without disconnecting any wires from the xbox or the router the xbox connects to live??? :confused:

in your thread above u mention about opening ports,how do u do this??? i've looked in the manual (which isn't much) and have gone thru the installation cd and i can't find any info on opening ports. so my question is how do u open ports and which ones do i open??? :lease:

one last thing that i'm confused about.....

if both my laptop and xbox are connected to the router at the same time (which is not that often) i get a warning message flash up in windows about a network conflict?? :rolleyes: i try to click on the icon to see if a box or any other information comes up about this conflict and i don't get any other info!
    but both my xbox and laptop are connected fine!

any help in this matter will be greatly appriciated!! :thumbsup:

kind regards

unkle faz

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Ok.

If you are getting the Xbox Live cannot be found error, then the first thing I would suggest (if you aren't already doing so) is power cycle your router once a week i.e. turn it off for 15 mins by the mains.

If you are still getting disconnected then I think we'll need to add your PC and Xbox IP and Mac addresses into the LAN IP setup of the router - this will also eradicate the error message that Widows gives you as it sounds like an IP conflict.

Couple of questions-
    Do you know your ISP's DNS servers' numbers?
    What firmware version are you using on the GT? (it's at the very top of the page under Router Status)

5. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks for the reply Spike.

Generally it seems ok, just every so often I get 'game session no longer available' but the game is still active when I go back and check.

Also got signed out of live a couple of times....today I have upgraded the firmwhere on the router to see if this helps to the beta version of 10125.

I am using fixed IP's on the router and the xbox, havent changed any firewall settings, as I said never had any trouble with the previous 54mb version, may have to go back if still having issues.

TIA

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Definitely turn off the router once a week and see how it goes.

It's a long shot but I know the GT isn't so good on high noise lines, whereas the G is an excellent performer.
    What line attenuation and snr figures does it say you have - these can be found under Router Status / Show Statistics = Line Attenuation and Noise Margin?

Next time you get the conflict message can you make a note of what it says.

If you go into Network settings on the Xbox and then connect and then view IP settings and DNS settings do they all definitely match what you have set in your router?

Although I don't think this will help with the disconnections what readings do you get in xbox for IC, MT and NT
    Network settings - Connect - Yellow button on pad - Green Button - Green Button.
    Ideally it should be this
    IC=1
    MT=1
    NT=1

7. unkle faz

unkle faz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    when i do the above xbox test i get:-

MT=1
    IC=1
    NT=1

Line Attenuation (downstream) 52 db (upstream) 31.5 db
    Noise Margin (downstream) 11 db (upstream) 18 db

Firmware Version V1.05.00 <------ has a newer version been made available?? can't say i've recieved any info about upgrading this from netgear! but i suppose its not their responcibility to inform us if theres one available.

i've just checked ip addresses and my xbox is different from the router?? why is this??? i take it this is the problem?? but i thought the xbox automatically sets the ip address for u?? :mad: damn technology!

thank you for you time spike! :thumbsup:

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    It's really no problem mate.

Right your both confusing me a little
    Firmware version 1.05 is the DG834G (v2.10 beta now available)
    Firmware version 1.01.25 is the DG834GT

The xbox test is fine :)

Manually configure the xbox IP - Network Settings - Connect Note down IP, Subnet and Gateway then change it to Manual on the Xbox, leave the xbox on and then enter the IP into the routers LAN IP Setup page on the router - make sure it's the correct MAC address - it should show up in Attatched Devices if you're not sure.

Once you've done this power cycle your router and lets see how you go from there.

9. unkle faz

unkle faz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    my router is a netegar dg834, it has no g or gt at the end of the model number!!!

tis the router in question

right i believe i have done all the manual changing for the xbox (while in there i also changed the dns manually to what my provider has given me) and have changed the default ip that was set in the netgear page to the xbox ip. but i cannot connect to the net with my laptop (with this change in ip)...it comes up with this page cannot be displayed..so i have had to change the router lan ip back to what it was.....any ideas??

10. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks again Spike,

These are my settings for your info....

System Up Time 32:30:23
    Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    WAN PPPoA 311898 321137 0 205 357 32:30:01
    LAN 100M/Full 299276 295897 0 232 227 32:30:20
    WLAN 11M/54M 24869 17649 0 190 26 32:30:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
    Line Attenuation 26.5 db 15.0 db
    Noise Margin 30.3 db 29.0 db

11. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    My fault guys I didn't notice two of you posting about two different routers.

CatManDo - those figures are good so it's definitely not line noise. If you try power cycling your router once a week and we'll see how it goes.
    If it does happen again if you could check the router log and see if it says anyhting in there.

unkle faz - just as an example you should have an IP for your laptop as 192.168.0.2 and you xbox as 192.168.0.3.

12. unkle faz

unkle faz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    so i'm changing the lan port ip address to the xbox ip?? instead of the default ip that is already there??

13. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    faz,
    I'll add your tag and just talk you through it, probably be easier?

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Everything with Faz is hard work!!!! Good luck to you Spike!

15. unkle faz

unkle faz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35

ignore pooontang spike....he stalks me u see...where ever i go he's there...

but it would probably b easier to talk me thru it....

incidently...i did a power cycle, as suggested, rebooted up fine then i kept on being disconnected from live every few minutes! really annoying for me! felt like booting the box across my room! but i rang netgear techies andd they gave me different dns numbers to use!?? plus i mentioned any new firmware available for this model and they directed me straight to it! :thumbsup: netgear techies!! :thumbsup:

so i am now using some beta version firmware with new dns numbers and everything is fine!? for now i should say.....

your more than welcome to add me! unkle faz (game tag) as i may encounter problems in the future!!!

i'd just like to thank you again for you time and effort spike! very much appriciated!!

16. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Glad to help faz, of what little I did.
    I'd see how you go with the new firmware, assuming you are using v2.10.17 I've heard nothing but positive things about it (makes a change!) making the router far more stable.

I'll catch up with you on Live soon :)

17. unkle faz

unkle faz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i have to admit since installing this new firmware i haven't had any problems, not getting disconnected off live randomly, no conflict errors poppin up on windows, or my wires connected to the router disconnecting randomly!

so far so good...but we'll see how long this lasts for!!!

see you on live spike!!!

18. zackski01

zackski01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi... spike could you or someone help me out. i have a bt voyager 105 modem and aol 9.0. it dosent work, fails on dns. i was thinking about upgrading my aol to wireless then getting the free £50 router. it will be a speedtouch router. do you know if this will work?

19. TobyL

TobyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. sam j a d

sam j a d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    help please.
    im only 16 i i dont know anything about this technical talk so i need a simple answer. the problem is that everytime i go on xbox (the i light turns off on my netgear box) and it doesnt come back on for about 30 seconds, this happens about 20 times everyday when i start an online game, mainly halo3.

i have phoned xbox who told me to phone sky, when i did i waited 3 hours for technical support only for them to put the phone down on me.

i need a simple answer for the problem so i can phone sky and tell them to get it sorted. someone please reply, thanks
    :lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease:

21. crocodilemick

crocodilemick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up just sticking xbox on a static IP and putting it in the DMZ.