1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Live modem/router

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by The_kUrGaN, Aug 11, 2005.

1. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm wanting to create a direct connection to XBox Live downstairs. I'm not bothered about sharing my PC internet connection as I want the XBox to be totally independant and unconnected. Therefore can anyone please recommend an XBox Live compatible modem/router to do the job, preferably under £40?

Cheers

2. cra41g

cra41g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Unconnected to what!?

Most routers should be compatible - a basic one from PC World should work fine.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...y&category_oid=-24974&fm=10&sm=0&tm=undefined

I assume you've got broadband, the router will replace your modem, and will log onto the broadband itself, providing a shared internet connection to PCs/Xbox that are connected to it.

3. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    OK,
    I have a broadband connection on my PC upstairs. I currently share the connection with my XBox downstairs by running a crossover cable down the staircase.

I now would like to buy a dedicated XBox Live compatible modem so that I can connect my XBox straight through to the phone socket downstairs, and do away with sharing my connection via my PC.

4. cra41g

cra41g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I see. A router will be exactly what you need. The internet connection is independent of from your PC. Like I said, the router logs onto your broadband.

You can then disable the connection sharing on your PC.

5. just123

just123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so hey im trying to connect to xbox live with 360 and i was wondering if my dlink DIR 615 and Linksys WRT54G v8 are incompatible with xbox live because the MTU keeps failing at the test. but is the dlink EBR 2310 compatible with xbox live and also does a router and a modem both have to be compatible with xbox live in order for it to work? plz someone i need an answer.:lease:

6. rupees_al

rupees_al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    linksys should be fine. mine has worked for years via ntl without a hitch.
    don't know if anything has change tho but they are pretty reliable so would guess it might be something else.
    check that the correct ports are open in the gaming and applications section on the router. check on xbox site for settings.

7. just123

just123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    k but i checked the xbox live compatible list and linksys v8 wasnt on it. and dlink 615 wasnt ethier. but do you know how good the dlink WBR 2310 is or can someone recomend best routers for xbl (xbox live) thanks!:confused:

8. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    try lowering your mtu settings, default is normally 1458 so try 1200 or similar

9. just123

just123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok umm the test connection for xbox live always fails at the MTU part why its so annoying why wont it work what does it mean. i changed my mtu values. help:(

10. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The 615 has a "works with vista" logo , which is exactly the same as xbox live certified and will work with 4 xboxes with an Open NAT