XBox live-how does it work?

S

smallman28

I am interested in getting an Xbox along with a few friends.
The thing is if I play on-line is it possible to just play against a few certain people or do you get chucked into a game with anyone?
I don't know anything about this but is it possible to specify who you want to play against,do you register with a user name of some kind and can you say you only want to play against a certain user?
Like I said before I want to play against some friends but dont want to get invloved in a game with lots of other players,is this possible?

When you register your XBL you give yourself a handle know as as your GameTag - mines glum.

Each of your friends will do the same.

When you turn on your xbox (without a game in) you can select XBL and specify who your friends are by entering thier gametags.

They get the equivalent of an email say you want to be thier friend - know as a friend invite. They either accept or decline.

Once you have your close cirlcle of friends one of you can host a match. Depending on the game and the speed of your broadband link this can be as few as 4 people (including the host) or as high as 16.

Once you've arrange a convenient time for everybody, the host sends a personal invite to the friends he wants to play with on that game. The friends loads the game on thier xbox, connects to xbl and accepts the invite.

Its then a closed game with just t he invited gamers.

Or you can jump opn and say give me a game with anybody if its not convenient for others in your group

Okay I understand that but I am still not clear on a few things.
Do you have to have an ISP and a broadband connection already to use Xbox live?
What do you get in the Xbox Live kit?
It seems to me that you have to have a broadband connection already with an ISP (for whatever a month that costs) and then get the live kit that connects the Xbox to the broadband connection and then pay yearly or whatever subscription for this on top of you ISP's monthly charge.
Does that make any sense?

thats correct. you have to have broadband before xbl.

the xbl comes with a cd to upgrade your xbox to xbl and this is associated with the gamertag you select. it comes with a headset that plugs into the joypad so you can converse with other people when playing on xbl.

if you have a pc with the broadband link you may also need some extra bits of hardware so your pc and xbox can share the braodband connection.

Thanks for the help so far,if you could do you think you help me a bit more?
Okay so I get my broadband connection which has to be shared by my PC and Xbox (I presume I dont have to have the PC connected if I dont want to?).
To avoid having to swap leads between the 2 I would need a ADSL modem/router which has at least 2 RJ45(?) connections on the back one for each,okay so far?
I would also need in that case to have a ethernet(?) card in the PC to connect the modem/router to to use the broadband on the PC,does this seem correct.
I take it it is better/easier to buy a modem/router rather than a USB ADSL modem for connecting the Xbox and PC to?
Would something like this be the sort of thing I should be looking for

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q3/sar_715.asp

Again many thanks for the help so far and I hope that makes sense.

yep you've pretty much got it.

I'm using wireless rather than cabled but the concepts are the same.

if you used a usb router then youd need a ethernet card and hub so your xbl could share the connection and your pc would need to be on all the time.

Have looked on these forums - there are quite a few discussions on which router people use for xbl.

I'm using the linksys system. modem to befw11 (wireless acccess router). the xbl plugs into the back into 1 of the 4 rj45 connections.

I then have a pic wireless card in the pc (wpc11) and a pcmcia wireless card in my laptop (wpc11).

if your broadband install isn't the same room as your xbl (mine is - its the pc that isn't hence wirelss in the pc) then you'll need a wireless ports for the xbl -.

d-link and netfear do similar things, my setup cost less than £200 for all threee bits of kit - a wired network would be cheaper - routers start from £50 upwards

I have the same setup as graham on NTL 1meg.
It works very well. Linksys kit are very easy to setup although there are good reports of netgear products.

You guys are going to hate me!
In the Xbox instructions it show the Xbox being directly connected to the ADSL modem without using a PC.
If you were to do this how does it setup,if you see what I mean.
Seeing as the installation disc that comes with the modem is to use it with a PC you don't use it with the Xbox I take it?

I had to use my pc to register my modem mac address and my email address.
As soon as that is done and my BB was up and running, then you do not have to use the pc further, and the xbox can be connected directly to the modem.
I suppose certain aspects can differ per isp.
Do some research on your chosen isp site so you can find out more information.
Xbox.com is a good source on information.
http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/

Couple of quickies.

1. If you get a BB-router make sure it supports uPNP. This allows the XBox to 'talk' to the router and automatically setup all of the networking requirements (without it you'll have to manually configure port forwarding & static address assignments).

2. Even if you don't think you'll use it, get a router. They're so cheap and so useful you won't regret it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom