1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Live, How Do I Get Connected!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by sh18, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi, been pondering getting an xbox for ages mainly because of the online capability. i have a pc connected to braodband via a usb adsl modem (NTL 300k connection), is it possible to share the BB connection without the need of network cards etc, i just want to be able to share my BB connection with my PC and eventual Xbox, only one would be used at a time. is this possible?

please explain how i can do this IN PLAIN ENGLISH!!!

2. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Basicly what you are suggesting can be done with out any probs
    But take in consideration that you only have a 300k connection you will have trouble hosting without lag so I would give that one a miss for now.Are you sure you dont have a ethernet connection on the ntl modem if so you could plug stright in

there is a Guide on for pc sharing via nic cards www.xbox.co.uk/live

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The best way of gettin an X-Box online with NTL is via the use of a router. If you only have a modem with USB connections though i'm not too sure how this would work. My NTL modem has Ethernet out on it and I connect this to my Router and then connect my PC & X-Box direct to the router and they work no problem. I'm not sure if you can buy Cable moden/routers which accept an input from a co-ax cable with an F-Connector on it. If there was such a thing then you could replace your NTL modem with this and then connect the PC & X-Box to the Ethernet ports. One solution is to upgrade to 750k and see if you get a new modem. Whilst 300k will work with Live you may experience some in game lag.

4. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    U could always ask NTL for a exchange of cable modem for the ethernet type

5. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ...what OS is running on your PC? If its XP, you can use internet connection sharing...

You would need a lan card for your PC (about a fiver) plus a cross over cable for the xbox.

Plus the xbox and pc together... and away you go.

Do bear in mind that 300k is a bit slow, and the latency would not be optimal, but it would get you going for not much money.

D

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    Thicko question coming up :D I can FTP to my box , am I able to go on live using the Xover cable I have or is a non Xover cable reqired :confused:
    Cheers
    john

7. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    just checked my modem, it has a spare port which i assume is an ethernet port, as for lag i can both host and play most of my PC games (fifa 2005, rainbow six etc) with little or no lag so would this be the same with xbox live? also if i connect the xbox to this spare port would i have to have my PC on when i wanted to go on live? also would the 300k be split in half between pc and xbox?

8. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If you can FTP into your xbox from your pc then XBL will work using the same cable as long as internet connection sharing is turned on. Make sure you turn your mod off though!!

The best way to find out is to try it, XBL can be quite demading on your upload bandwidth, especially if you want to host games. I would imagine as long as you dont host, your connection will be adequate until you get hooked and spend more money!

When you say spare port, do you mean in the modem? If so you shoud only have one plugged in at a time (assuming you dont have a modem/router). If you are connecting your xbox directly to your router then you just need a normal patch cable not a cross over cable.

Ok this is sounding confusing when it really isnt. To try it out, just unplug your pc from the modem and plug your xbox in, that will work.

9. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First of all what type of cable modem do you have model no and make pls
    and i will check it out for you or do it yourself with a google search to see what the ports on it do but at a guess i would say it could only be CAT5 or Firewire

Right if what you say is correct then we are looking at a good situation here very simply rectified

So if this is another option of connection to your modem great leave pc alone and
    just run a CAT5 cable from this extra port to the Xbox this will also allow you to use the internet on pc aswell but with 300K unsure what the connection speed will be like
    it will cause lag in game and slow page load up on pc

With regards to lag issues correct me if im wrong but the XBox platform for gaming works differntly to pc gaming but anyway I know little about this

once connected you will need to check ya xbox dash and run the Dianogstic check
    look at ya network setting on xbox make sure they are selected to automatic config and at bottom select connect this may take a while as it will be establishing all the ips and dns and stuff ok once connectd press the Y button which will take you into daiagnostics on bottom line will tell you about packets of info sent and received etc and the latency press A to ok this now your here all you settings on this page should be the number 1 which I think you should get as you basicly ar connecting stright into the internet

now you need a subscription and your off to get shot and frustrated for the first couple of weeks anyway lol

10. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    just saw AOLs offer of 512K for 17.99 a month, does anyone else have AOL BB? are there any restrictions?