xbox live help please!

suki26

Standard Member
hi everyone,
got a big prroblem with xbox live.2 weeks ago the xbox packed in,started freezing and giving me the red lights of doom,so the shop kindly exchanged it for me whilst letting me retain my hard drive.since then no xbox live.it tries to connect,but always fails at the ip address.i've spent literally hours on the phone to xbox live technical support who can't really resolve my problem.they're trying to say that it's the fault of my isp,or something wrong with my router,but i've had the same isp for as long as we had xbox live and it always worked before,and the router is working fine as the other computers in the house are able to sign onto the net.xbox people said you need to update your firmware,speedtouch(the make or my router)said try portfowarding and assigning a public ip address,but their instructions are so complicated that i can't do it.at the shop where i bought it they said maybe i need to register the machine,because altho the hard drive is still the original one,the machine itself is new,but i can'd find anywhere to do that,all i get is inital set-up which just sets the language and location.i really hope one of you brainboxes(meant in the nicest possible way!) can help me as it's the summer holidays and my two boys are definately experiencing withdrawal symptoms!sorry for the long post,but it's complicated to explain.thanks for your patience and any help you can give me

bu5ter

Just a thought did you have a static ip address on you old xbox. if so you would need to set this again maybe??

Check your router is giving out addresses automatically by having dhcp set to on and setting the range.

UnGreat

As you have exchanged your console have you migrated your account correctly to the new one.

I ask this because you can't have an account on two consoles at once.

Also what type of router/modem are you using and how are you connected. Have you tried powering off the router and turning it back on (My crappy BT Hub dumps my xbox off the network all the time and this usually solves it).

Here is the microsoft page on 360 failing isp test.

Here is a good site for router stuff (port forwarding ect).

suki26

Standard Member
thanks for the replies everyone,ungreat i think you may be onto something there,but can you tell me how to migrate my account?in simple terms,please!thanks

UnGreat

thanks for the replies everyone,ungreat i think you may be onto something there,but can you tell me how to migrate my account?in simple terms,please!thanks

Here is the microsoft page on how to migrate an account.

Basically you press X to sign out then choose "recover gamertag from Xbox live". You'll need your .net passport (microsoft email address you used to set up account) and password (of email). It can take a few minutes to recover.

I've sent you a 48hr code via PM so you can set up a second account to rule out network problems if you wish.

suki26

Standard Member
thanks for the advice,we can't retreve gamertag because xbox live won't connect.and also,sorry to sound dim,but where exactly do i input this code.thanks once again.

tigernuts

You don't say whether you are wireless or wired to the router.

If you are wireless and had security settings (eg wpa or wep) then you will need to chose the network and reinput the code in network settings on the dash (far right blade). Just an idea.

You really really should use shadowmanuk's guide (link in Kopchoir's post above) it is v.v.v. helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom