xbox live content

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by H4r7y, Jun 6, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know one of Ms's mains selling points was downloadable content on live, is there anyway of getting somewhere else? like courses for links or levels for splinter cell? i only ask cuz ive seen magazines give stuff away so thought it may be possible.

cheers

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OXM (official xbox magazine) did have the levels for the original splinter cell and recently had levels for rainbow six 3 on the cover disc.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,464
    Like Hulkhead says, the Official Xbox Mag is the only place I've ever seen the content outside of Live. MS make this deliberately so, in order that as many people buy Live as possible. If you can get hold of content offline, it will be several months old.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i thought as much, but i thought that maybe there was a way if you didnt have live
    oh well

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's no (valid) reason why downloadable content shouldn't be easily available to those who don't have an internet connection

Obviously I don't mean patches etc since they wouldn't be necessary but if you pay for a game that will have future expansions, say Ghost Recon, then the extra levels should be available in the form of demo discs or whatever. IMO of course

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,464
    I guess it kind of depends on who pays for the work that goes into creating the extra levels. I think if its the Live subs fees, then I'd be a bit peeved if someone who hasn't forked out for Live got the same extra content as me, who does subscribe. IMO of course...

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    True, but if two people pay the same price for a game; one plays online and the other doesn't, then is it fair that one person has access to extra levels, items etc? Particularly if it's free...

If they're going to charge £5 or whatever for downloadable content they should be making it available for everyone IMO

Should the offline player be paying for content (ie the online mode) that they have no intention of ever using?

One solution is for two versions of certain games: one for online and one for offline that's cheaper and available sooner. But it must be a nice little money-maker for developers so I doubt we'll see any changes

8. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt mind paying a little something for getting the extra's to games. id just want to transfer them onto my xbox or summin after. it seems a shame to hear about new courses or tracks being released for games i love playing and not being able to put more life into the game with the updates