1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Live connection query

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by CatManDo, Oct 26, 2005.

1. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    My Brother in love had a D-LINK 604 T router in his bedroom running AOL boradband.

His PC is connected to the router via Cat 5.

He connects his laptop to the router wirelessly.

He now wants an Xbox in his living room, so any recommendations of connecting.

Are his only options:

1. Buy a 40M Cat5 cable and somehow run it upstairs?
    2. Buy a wireless gaming adapter for the XBOX (never used one of these before not sure about how to set it up). Apparently Game do their own for £25?
    3. Make the PC wireless and move the router downstairs

Any recommendations or advice most welcome!

TIA

2. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a netgear wge111 gaming bridge for the xbox o by the 360 version when that comes out (if you are getting a 360)

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I agree buy a wireless gaming adapter. The Nergear WGE111 is a good choice. As far as I know GAME do not do their own brand unless it's been introduced in the last couple of weeks. Even if they do I would stay well clear of it even if it is cheaper.

4. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Jeez just re-read my post 'brother in love' meant to say 'brother in-law'!!!

He aint even got his Xbox yet, hes on about getting one from Game Preowned, anyone know what warranty you get with them? and is there any problems installing live on a preowned one? I take it Game will not sell any modded preowned ones that would prevent him from going on live?

Thanks again.

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    :rotfl: lol - we won't ask!

You should be fine with a pre-owned from Game or wherever, it should come with a 12 month guarantee. No probs with Live etc - if it is a banned Xbox, you are well within your rights to take it back and ask for another one.

6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I don't reccommend getting a preowned Xbox from GAME. They don't thoroughly test them and they only come with a 3 month warrranty. If you have an independent game store near you that might be a better place to try as they are usually more stringent on their testing and usually offer a one year warranty. Otherwise best to get a new one. The price difference is probably not that much and worth the peace of mind.

7. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  8. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I phoned around for him and he ended up buying a brand new one from Game with the Halo2 Live pack and Far Cry for £139.99 which I didnt think was bad.

Went round last night and got him connected up. In the end we moved the router downstairs and hard cabled into the Xbox and stuck a wireless card in his upstairs pc.

All seems to work well so a job well done. Just need to kick his ar*se online now!

Regarding the Netgear gaming adapter, I may go for one of these, as when I get my 360 my original Xbox will be re-located upstairs, would still like to use Live on it so I may have to try one of these myself.

Thanks again.