1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Live connection advice please.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SilverPenguin7, Jul 1, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok, I am more than likely going to get myself on Live when I move at the start of aug. However, I have no idea what I need to buy or where to buy from as far as getting connected to the net. I already have BB (Pipex) and I obviously know I need the starter pack.

However:

I have a USB modem and I understand that means my pc will need to be on when I want to use Live. I don't really want to go this route so could someone please explain to me how and what I need to do and buy to connect up to Live (links to the appropirate hardware would be appreciated as I don't know much about routers etc)?

Also, cable free would be good as the pc is upstairs and the xbox downstairs, so an idea of cost for both wire and wire free methods would be great.

Hope someone can help, and hope to see some of you online before too long :)

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk has info about routers etc,

If you go the wireless route you will need to get a wireless bridge(someone correct me if i'm wrong) to get the xbox to 'talk' to the wireless router that your have. I think the 2 bits that you will need should cost from £100. Or if you go for a wired connection all you will need is a router and a bloody long cable and that should cost from £40

3. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    first up you will need one of these , this is a wireless router/modem/access point. This is used to connect to your chosen broadband supplier, and to wirelessly route the internet service around your dwelling.

secondly, for your PC you'll need one of these , this is the network adapter which goes into a free pci slot on your PC, which will receive the signal transmitted by the box above.

and lastly, for your xbox, you'll need one of these , this will connect to your xbox and receive the signal transmitted by the router above.

all of these products are a personal choice of course, and other products are avaliable, but this is the setup I used and it works pretty well.

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nice one! Thats excatly what I think I want! Is that everything I need, no other little bits and bobs?

EDIT: I'm also hoping to upgrade to 1mb BB, will all that be compatible with this?

5. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hardware-wise, yes, that's all you need to get your PC and xbox connected, now it's just a matter of plugging it all together, and setting up all the ip addresses for all the kit, for example,

the wireless router/modem/access point will most likely have an ip address of 192.168.1.1, this means that if you put this address into the address window of your interent explorer, it will take you to the management pages for it. This is where you enter the following details, which will be provided by your isp, username, password and any dns addresses.

after that, you can simply incrememt this address by one for all your other pieces of kit, ie, your PC's network card can be configured as 192.168.7.2, the wireless bridge can be 192.168.7.3 and your xbox can be 192.168.7.4.