1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Live! - Best Deal Around?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by monsieurblack, Oct 20, 2004.

1. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi all
    what with Halo 2 rapidly approaching [pre-ordered ;)] and Pro Evolution Soccer 4 [also pre-ordered ;)] i'm looking to get myself set up online through Xbox Live!
    does anyone have any views on whats is the best deal out there atm? i'm pretty sure i'm ok on the hardware front [ie. router, cat5 cabling etc] as i have chipped my Xbox and have no probs with it downloading news feeds etc through Xbox Media Center via my router, so what i was after was any info you had on the best 'package' to get. i know that there is a FIFA 2005 Bundle but seeing as i have pre-ordered myself a copy of Pro Evo, i can see that becoming a little redundant...and the fact that it costs about £60-£70 isn't quite the right way to attract me :rolleyes: lol, so any more that you peeps know of?...be good if there was a PYO deal out there :D
    the sooner you guys help me, the sooner you get to beat me at Pro Evo! :blush: :p lol
    oh, and do you know if i were to get my hands on a Free 2 Month Trial jobby that when i actually sign up to try it out that my username would be carried over to a 'full' yearly subscription when/if i decided to upgrade? i'm guessing so, but was just curious :)
    regards
    monsieurblack

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    If you're after a 2 month code, you'd do well to post in the sticky at the top of the Online section about this very thing. Many of us here have some going spare. Be aware you need a valid credit/debit card (Visa/Mastercard) when you sign up, even for the free two months. You should see if you can get a hold of a comminicator too, it really adds to the experience, IMHO.

When you want to extend the two months, you have 3 choices:
    1) Do nothing and let Microsoft take £39.99 for a year subs from the credit/debit card you signed up with.
    2) Alter your "Account Management" dashboard settings to let Microsoft take £5 per month from the credit/debit card you signed up with.
    3) Buy a starter pack and use the code inside to extend your subscription. Online retailers often sell these cheaper than in the high street, and some packages even come with a game like you say. And you get a communicator too. I renewed my annual subs with a Starter Pack for £30 from Amazon and so have a spare communicator that I use when a mate comes round.

The best starter pack depends on which game you want with it, or if you just want the cheapest. I actually wasn't aware they were doing a FIFA 2005 one. I'd be surprised if they didn't do a Halo 2 or Pro Evo 4 one at some point.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    The only starter kits with game I am aware of are:
    Project Gotham 2
    Rallisport Challenge 2
    Splinter Cell 2

Check Amazon out for their prices, IIRC they had a really good deal on the Splinter Cell pack recently.

4. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi and a big thanks Lorenzini :smashin: you're a star, your info is much appreciated.
    i'll be sure to add a post to the 3 month trial thread, i guess that would be a great bonus to start me off to check if i actually what to commit to a full years subscription.
    i have heard that there is indeed a halo 2 bundle going to be released, but as i'm after the 'special edition' and already have it pre-ordered then i guess i'll have to let that one pass.
    i already have splinter cell pandora tomorrow, and haven't played pgr2 [is it any good? :blush:] but have played rallisport 2 and absolutely loved it, a truly cracking game, i didn't realise that there was also a bundle available for this so i'll do my best to track one down :thumbsup: :cool:
    again, thanks for your help :)
    regards
    monsieurblack

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    No probs mate. See you in Halo 2 soon ;)
    Watch out as some of the starter packs with games are 3 month subs and some are 12 month! Check b4 u buy!

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Arguably the best online racer. Some people prefer Toca 2 or Burnout 3, but PGR2 is very good indeed with many excellent Live features.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    had look for a mate yesterday play have headset for £17 IIRC and have pack for £35 but no stock..

8. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you guys rock! :clap: thank you all so much for your replies :cool:

hhhmmm...halo 2 indeed ;) and thanks for the tip, heres me just assuming that all the live! 'bundles' were one year subscriptions :blush: lol

thats good to know :) thanks...i'll look out for the rallisport 2 one, but if i don't find any pgr2 will be my next choice then.

cool, the headset price doesn't seem too bad...but i hear there is a new 'halo 2' one coming out so i'll probably wait for that if i'm to buy one separately.

keep your eyes peeled for the rallisport challenge 2 live! bundle please, i'm just an email away ;)
    regards
    monsieurblack

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    PGR2 is simply awesome, i have wasted far to much of my life playing that game its getting unhealthy, so i can't recommend it highly enough. And even though it's now been out for a year its still one of the most popular 'live' games. They have the PGR2+Live Starter Kit in GAME, iirc it was £59.99 but could of been less.

10. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    groovy
    i'll have to check that out, a little price-ier than i was hoping, but i'll see whats around in 'real' stores. it should do me good to get some fresh air ;) :D
    is that with 12 months subscription do you know? as i saw Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox Live Bundle) and it states that its 3 months subs :(
    a much more attractive price though ;)
    thanks
    monsieurblack

11. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I recently got PGR2 + LIVE starter kit with 12 month sub bundle from local HMV for £40 (minus 10% discount they are doing at the moment)

Not too shaby

12. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi
    none too shabby indeed :thumbsup: i guess i'll head to the shops after work tomorrow and see what i can find, thanks again
    regards
    monsieurblack