1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Live and ICS on XP

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Sam, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just ordered Xbox Live and am planning to use the ICS technique to share my connection to the Xbox (I've got a PCI ADSL card and one of those plug n play USB to ethernet port adapters).

Problem is that when I follow the instructions to allow ICS on XP from the xbox website (http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/howto/xp/) I don't get the options that are shown there.

It says to click on LAN properties, but I don't have a LAN connection, all I've got is my ADSL connection in there and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that allows you to share the connection.

:confused:

Can anyone let me know where I am going wrong?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    I'm not sure as I haven't used ICS, but do you have to "bridge" the two network connections?

I.e. your ADSL connection, and your ethernet connection?

When I was installing my ADSL modem router XP kept trying to "bridge" various network connection types together.

I hope this is of some help.

3. justy101

justy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No need to bridge connections. Just go to your dial up screen. Select your main (only??) connecton. Select properties, then advanced tab, tick ICS and select the network card the xbox is connected to (switch xbox on) windows xp will then setup the connection including opening the ports through the firewall.

Hope this helps

4. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All sorted now cheers.

Was trying to do all this without my network card installed, thus the ICS option didn't appear on my ADSL connection. :eek: