1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox, LCD TV and MS HD AV Pack

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Barnetto, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any point at all me buying the Microsoft Official HD AV Cable to connect an unmodded Xbox to the component inputs on my LCD screen? Will there be any improvement in picture over RGB? Will I get any picture at all??

I can see that there should be a benefit with modded machines from this forum but just not sure if:
    (a) the cable even works with an unmodded machine
    (b) there is any point on an unmodded machine.

It is being sold in the UK for £25 here
    http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9_47&products_id=626

Thanks in advance.

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    How big is the LCD? if it only small say 20" or less then i'd say stick with RGB, but if it larger 30-40" then yeah go for it. Have you not investigated soft-modding your xbox to get you progressive output? oh and you can get that cable cheaper from lik-sang btw

3. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a 26 inch LCD screen with Scart (RGB - already used for Digibox), Scart (composite - currently used for Xbox), Component/S Video and DVI.

Really just looking for the best configuration I can get with an unmodded machine which I use for gaming and DVDs. Is it right that if I just get the MS HD AV cable and plug it into the component sockets of my LCD, I'll get the pictures OK but no benefit of progressive scan?

Anyway to link the Xbox through the DVI-I input to my LCD? Any point even if there is?

(Alternatively thinking of putting both Digibox and Xbox through the RGB scart sockets of a Pioneer VSX C502 AV Amp to get RGB and surround sound from both)

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    If the LCD has DVI then its gonna be a good one, so i'd say yeah go for the HD Pack(only get it from lik-sang to save a few quid) AFAIK there is no way to connect an xbox to DVI/HDMI, maybe X2 will do that. Not famliar with the amp you mention, but never come accross an amp that has Scart on them! so i'd forget about using video switching and connect the xbox and digibox to the LCD.

5. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Lik-Sang site lists the MS HD AV kit as "Japanese version compatible with all US and JAP Xbox consoles sold worldwide". You still think I can use it (without progscan) with an unmodded Europe Xbox?

(The Pioneer Amp has 4 RGB enabled scart inputs and one RGB scart output - means that you can just route everything through the amp (video and sound) and switch them via the amp seamlessly.)

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Yeah the cable from lik-sang is the same one as the whitedog one just cheaper, and yes it will work on a unmodded pal xbox.

This pioneer, is it an All In One unit, ie it has amp and dvd player in one box?

7. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    No probs :) Interesting Amp.

9. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use mine on a unmodded PAL box.....I just wanted the optical out for my processor :)

10. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my MS HD kit from Lik-Sang. Took a while to arrive but worth it. I have un-modded box viewing with Panasonic AE700 projector. Real improvement on picture quality over the RGB scart. I borrowed a modded box to try HD output and found that I could not get the HiDef to output in widescreen with games I know run 16:9 (had set to widescreen on dashboard) Going to investigate before I consider soft or chip modding as will stick with PAL 625i otput if not gonna sort widescreen prob. Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Darran

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    What games didn't come out properly? i have my xbox softmodded and have a 32" CRT and all widescreen games come out fine, except Pro Evo 4 which, no matter what the screen setting will not fit the screen properly(eg first/last letter of players names in the formation menu are off the screen).