1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox is dying...

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lechacal, Aug 6, 2002.

1. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I refused to by a PS2 for more than a year on the grounds there were no decent games for it. Then BANG, the Xbox comes out. Three fantastic launch games (three more good games than the PS2 had for well over a year). I fancy the idea of a hard disk and online, so an Xbox it is for me.

Then what happens?

No worthwhile games since March 14th. Not one. Most of what's been released is just plain tat. The only thing that's almost tempted me to shell out since launch day was Gun Valkyrie but I had a go and found the controls too fiddly. There's the prospect of some decent games soon, but Panzer Dragoon is an 'on-rails' shooter, CT3 is another franchise that you've basically played before, Malice might be good...but why have Argonaut suddenly fallen out with Microsoft? Next to the GC catalogue and what is promised for the GC - including some pretty tasty exclusives - this is a bit sad. I think I may have made a mistake.

You may say that the Xbox has the greater potential and owners should look to the future, but is there a real future for the Xbox? The reason all the third party developers ran away from the DC was because it wasn't selling in big enough numbers to make their investment worthwhile. Well the only place the Xbox is selling half-well is the US, where it's still selling less than the PS2. In Japan it's being outsold by PS2, GC, GBA and - oh the humiliation! - the bloody Wonderswan!

Once I've got my last couple of PGR golds I can feel a trade coming on...

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that developers will steer clear of a system if the sales are low, but there are still a ton of great games in development right now. Unless developers think it'll be cheaper to cancel the projects before release, the library for the XBox should be on par with PS2 in a year. (I think the library is already better than the PS2, but that's just personal preference) The system is selling decently in the US, and I think that will trickle over to Europe as well. (there are still some great games that are out in the US that we don't have yet; Morrowind for one)

The XBox is long overdue for another killer game, and I think out of the crop that's due in the next 3-6 months, it'll have a few. Plus, XBox Live will bring in a few more customers.

Also, now that the XBox is breaking into the homebrew code market, sales should increase as emulators and other apps become more popular. To sum it all up, I don't think the XBox is dying.

As for great games, have you tried MotoGP or Jet Set Radio Future? (two excellent, sometimes underrated games)

I agree with your opinion of Gun Valkyrie, though. Played it for an hour, then gave up on the first level. :mad: :confused:

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I totally agree about the poor range of games available for the X-Box. The launch titles are still the only ones worth buying IMO.
    Games like 'SSX Tricky' or 'James Bond Agent Under Fire' are great games, but you can buy them (much) cheaper on other consoles.
    With the dominance and strength-in-depth of the PS2 and the GameCube I really cannot see where there is room for the XBOX anyway, I fear its future is bleak! :(

4. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I totally agree with you about JSRF. I was including that in my list of three great launch games (with PGR and the other one). I haven't tried MotoGP I must admit, but I didn't really want to get another racing game just yet.

I'm not really interested in chipping, emulators and home-brew stuff Where are the games? I guess it's a personal thing. I just think I may be better off with a GC. But judging by the sales figures a lot more people are comng to that conclusion too. And lots more are still buying PS2s (which I just cannot work out)!

I'm consoling myself :)clown: :blush:) with the fact that I should be able to ditch it, get a GC and maybe a game or two without having to shell out any more cash.

5. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    [​IMG]

Lechacal,

There is a terrible games drought on all systems at the moment,
    some more than others. The people that are having the most
    fun are the ones that own all 3 consoles or at the very least
    2. the most common duo I know of are xbox and gc!

If you own just the pal gc you'd still experience the drought
    so i don't think your solution is to sell out and buy a gc.
    But if you can afford a gc now get it..as theyre are a few fun
    games on it.. but they won't last you long. Once youve played
    them that's it ..the fun is over then it's back to the drought!

I own the xbox and love it to bits.. each experience with halo is
    different everytime... try swpping out weapons and trying
    different strategies. But I too would like some variety as playing
    the same type of game is not very inspiring, Ive finished all the
    other xbox games and don't have much of an interest for skating
    or racing games.

If i could afford a game cube right now I'd get one....
    as i know the xbox and gc both contrast very well with each
    other.

A lot of the games on all consoles will be released later this year,
    so your story wil be more like "i haven't got enough money to
    buy all these games, but i want them all!!!" ;)

Here is a short list of xbox games to look out for :

Tekki / Steel Battalion
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Unreal Championship
    Turok Evolution
    TimeSplitters 2
    Splinter Cell
    House Of the Dead 3
    Toejam & Earl III
    Dead Or Alive Volleyball (definetly) :)
    Murakumo
    Crimson Sea

then next year :

Duality
    Deus Ex 2
    Thief III
    Halo 2

there's lot of fun to be had..just get another console and double
    on all the fun. :) I know its expensive... but u could cut down
    on games on both consoles and \ or buy 2nd hand and sell them
    on.

I hope my recomendation helps...

Cya,
    Shaz

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a bit of a dry period for most game consoles now , people tend to stay outside in the sun. with the summer coming to an end there are a mass of great titles coming out,for x box...panzer, house of the dead 3,turok evolution...also with the jap release of tenki with that monstrous controller{and monstrous price tag},things willpick up

7. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Here we go again!
    Another "I've bought a donkey" posts about a new games console.

Everyone who bought a PS2 in the first year said the same about it. Give them time and the good games will come.

I have to say that since getting my Xbox I haven't switched my PS2 on to play anything.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we all pretty much commented on the drought of quality games, but I'm with lechacal on this one. Strip away all the common 3rd party titles so you are left with exclusives. Which consoles as more in terms of numbers and quality? For me, its between the PS2 and GC.

Since I've missed a few posts I'll try to keep this short.

Azrikam has said that there are loads of quality games coming up... I'm sure any advid Xbox owner would like to see a list of ten must have games yet to come out.

True the PAL list is rather dire.. Even though Star Fox Adventures (22nd Nov), Mario (4th Oct), Eternal Darkness (1st Nov) and Resident Evil (13th Sept) will be out before the end of the year. I'm sure many gamers would agree though thats its not that bad of a lineup for the consoles first year.

Multiplayer games always extend a games life... Hell I'm still playing Bomberman and Mario Kart on my SNES! Multi-player FPS certainly are fun as I'm sure any LAN/online gamer will testify. Back in the day GoldenEye was great, esp. with those proximity mines ^_^ But as a single player game you can't keep everything fresh for too long, although Mario aims to do just that. Its a shame that many will dismiss it straight away just because its a Mario game.

Most FPS gamers would like to use a PC... But if UC supports the keyboard and mouse... Then LAN gaming will be sweet indeed. Tekki is one game that I'm looking forward to every since it was announced, which reminds me.. I really need to pick up Virtual On, on the DC...

Out of those games though I can only see UC and Timesplitters II (multi-format) that will rake in the sales. As for DoA Volleyball... Less said about that the better ^_^ Unless you are one to admire the texture mapping, AA and MIP-mapping capabilities of the Xbox... Not forgetting the physics engine too ^_^ ToeJam and Earl is a nice addition to the long standing Sega fans as well.

Of course each console platform has its strengths and weaknesses in terms of content, which is why I support multiple platforms if possible.

For now though only Halo is making serious in-roads for the Xbox but then thats because its a good game as we all know. The Xbox has the backing of the big PC players like id so Doom III should make it, then theres Project Ego and Ninja Gaiden to look forward to.

The GC has its Nintendo games like Mario Sunshine/Tennis/Golf/Party, Zelda and Metroid, with exclusive support from Capcom (Resident Evil), then RARE (Perfect Dark Zero, Star Fox Adventures, Kameo...) Factor 5 (Rogue Leader II) and many other 2nd parties like Silicon Knights (Eternal Darkness). You won't be short of exclusives on the GC but then you will know about its rather slow release dates. At least the main hitters will be out within the first year bar Zelda so it'll be interesting to see the sales.

The PS2 still has a commanding lead over everyone though in terms of sales and support. GTA is now a PS2 exclusive and it has loads of RPGs coming out for it. Basically its game library covers almost all genres with a fair bit of quality. In saying that theres nothing on the "up and coming" list that will tempt me other than Tekken 4, before the year is over.

Its all down to what genre of games you like really. I like racers, fighters, old skool shooters, platform, sports, RPGs, FPS... Almost every genre other than RTS which is why I've chosen the PS2, Gamecube and PC combination. On the Xbox, it will add to the FPS roster with Halo but thats about it. However the emu/dev scene does interest me so that is another plus. The Xbox would have to wait until next year though so by then I should have at least 3-5 titles on the wanted list that are available on sale.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a statement so often heard but in reality has little meaning. No game that is currently in development can be considered GREAT. Only you can be the judge of how great a game is once it's been released and you are sitting playing it.

Unfortunately 90% of the time, the so called great games in development turn out to be utter crap :mad:. I have an XBOX and a Gamecube (both imports) and there hasn't been much to shout about on the GC until the last two months, with resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and the absolutely PERFECT Mario Sunshine arriving.

However the XBOX situation is truely distressing and there can be no excuses any more. I love Halo and I still play it on a regular basis. This game is reason alone to own an XBOX but there has not been anything that even comes close since - and there isn't anything (in my mind) that looks like it will come close in the near future. JSRF is a cool game, as is DOA 3 but there is literally nothing else that rivals my Gamcube catalogue. I own 10 games for the GC and Mario Sunsine is better than Halo in it's own way. The other nine games are better than enything else on the XBOX bar Halo.

Quite frankly, one killer app is not enough......not by a long shot. Will XBOX survive? I hope it does and I'm pretty sure it will but the Microsoft money machine won't save it in the console market.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with you there but I'm sure something has been cooking up for the Xbox... Blinx seems interesting with its time effects but Malice for me seems poor in terms of design. I was watching some live footage of it a good while ago and there was slowdown all over the place and the control wasn't as tight as say Mario was. IMO they have pushed the Xbox too far, too soon in terms of graphics on it, sacrificing the smooth gameplay that we all want. Of course these are all initial reports since I haven't played the title, but it doesn't give it a great first impression.

Things should pick up for the GC once again since I can't wait for the new Metroid Prime. If only to see how close it is to the original world of Super Metroid. Got my Mario on pre-order, Eternal Darkness is on its way too and the latest rumour is that Ikurega (however its spelt) might be coming to the Gamecube! Can't wait...

11. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Have u played Oddworld Munch's Oddysee yet?
    That game is sooo hilarious...its a shame ive finished it soo
    quick.. the graphics \ sound and most importantly the gameplay
    is superb!!!! Playing that game made me realise the blatant
    fun factor in games..... try it ..u might like it!
    It makes a change from the serious HALO.

And you can pick it up cheap from ure very own SHAZ or ebay!

Cya,
    Shaz

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected. I should have said "potentially" great games. A name and/or cool license doesn't make a good game; dedicated developers make a good game. Still, that doesn't stop me from drooling at the ideas that are being worked on. I'm not saying they are definite hits, but here are a few that I can't wait to try:

Blinx
    B.C.
    Project Ego
    Timesplitters 2
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
    MGS2: Substance
    THPS4
    NFL2K3 (online, of course)
    Morrowind
    NHL2003
    The Thing

Exclusives don't bother me much, because if done right, the XBox version of a game should look nicer and play smoother than the same game on the PS2. (Max Payne is a good example)

Although I've been tempted to buy a few mediocre titles, I take my job as an educated consumer too seriously to give money to developers who produce shoddy games. I will admit to picking up Dark Summit on the cheap, but it's actually a fun game. (it really is, honest! ;))

While I wait, I'll just bide my time, and keep turfing my way through Halo on Legendary. :)

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And even smoother on the PC... MGS2: Substance will be MGS2 with extra options like... Well actually I don't want to drop any spoilers for those who have yet to play it. Other additions would be the VR missions etc, but this game will also come out on the PS2. As for the game looking better... Unless Konami have re-vamped its in game textures I can't see it being that much more polished. ShenMue II is a good example since it doesn't look radically different from the amazing DC version.

TimeSplitters II is multi-format as we all know and the PS2 version isn't exactly shoddy either, so really if graphics are your focal point then the Xbox version might just be better. Same goes for THPS4, Medal of Honor and NFL2k3...

Bar Blinx, the games listed are either multi-format games or PC ports... That fact alone won't demand gamers to buy an Xbox since they can be found elsewhere. Sure they could brag about the extra polygons but the gameplay would be identical. If we were graphically obsessed then we'd all have the new Radeon card or GF4 4600 Ti's (4800 Ti to be out soon). Fact is gamers play videogames and I think the global sales of the Xbox illustrates this point.

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duly noted.

I added NFL2K3 because it's one of the XBox Live flagships, and I think it could be very impressive online. I've already heard some glowing reviews.

I'm well aware that a cutting-edge PC will blow the XBox away (spec-wise) and that a lot of the games are PC ports, but I can't get a cutting-edge PC that plugs into my TV for £200. (hence, the giant hunk of black and green sitting in front of my TV :))

You're right that there aren't a lot of reasons for PS2 owners to buy an XBox. Sony's market saturation is really hurting sales, because there are so few exclusive games.

Don't think that I'm a graphics nut. I think the XBox hard drive will do as much (or more) towards seeing games that simply can't be done on the PS2. XBox is still in its infancy, and provided the developers stick around to do it, I still think XBox will have the best games on the market (possibly barring PC games) in a year's time.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe I'm not saying that you are, but I do know a lot of people out there that do like a graphic tart ^_^

The scratch disk is certainly interesting since Nintendo did the same thing waaaay back in the N64 era with the N64DD. Of course that bombed due to the lack of support and that is was an extra hardware peripheral. Its early days yet of course for the Xbox but it does need to gather some momentum soon.

I think Microsoft are crying out for some top Japanese development teams to make games for it though... The fact that they wanted to buy Square and Sega just illustrates that they can't buy their way out of trouble, like they did with Bungie. In the end its the games that counts, even if you have potential (M2 anyone?) it counts for nothing if there is nothing to play on it.

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking forward to...

Tomb Raider: Angel to Darkness
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Vexx
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    James Bond: Nightfire
    Lord of the Rings
    Red Faction 2
    Devil May Cry 2
    Robocop
    The Thing
    Tony Hawk 4
    Final Fantasy xii

maybe...

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
    Evolva
    Kingdom Hearts

and loads more I can't think of!

:D

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right there.

18. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    [​IMG]

Im with you Master Chief! :)
    Gimme a shout when u get Xbox Live

19. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i've got a ps2,gc and lastly xbox. Theses consoles are very powerfull indeed, the ps2 is doing great due to its user base, the gamecube has just been released but has already sold 1milion units in the uk alone in just 5 months of release faster than the xbox which has only sold 800,000 units.
    The aspect which ticks me off the most is why developers such as konami are giving hugh support to consoles such as ps2(but i dont blame them as its doing very well) and the xbox, now i was really p***** off when i heard that mgs: substance would be relasead on ps2, pc and XBOX why not gamecube? my gamecube is sellign much better than the xbox and the nintendo name its self is very known in the heart of every gamers wheter they are sony fans sega etc
    everyone started off with a sega or nintendo, the nes, snes but nintendo did made mistakes with the media unit for the n64 they have corrected that now with their properity dvd based disk's but still developers do not give them a chance nintendo is labelled as a kidys company, they never called them selves that never but its a label the world of gamign has given to them.
    im no nintendo fan boy i love my ps2 and gc equally, but now realised that the xbox was a waste of money the reason for exclusive and good titles was clear now, MICROSOFT.

20. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite like DMC actually... Although the slower PAL port with borders didn't help... Which is why Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox looks very tempting indeed... Just think - Upgraded DoA3 engine with DMC gameplay ^_^

Its going to be some wait for FFXII alright, but I'm more eager to find out what Chrono Break will be like though... And Star Ocean III, XenoSaga (They'd better release this in the US.. Otherwise I'll er... Send an email to Namco ^_^), BoF V, etc etc. FFXI seems interesting but if I buy a copy, it'll be the PC version.

For me, EA will churn out sequels to the Bond games annually, like what they have done to the F1 license... Would have been alright if they made a decent title though. Still, there are quite a few titles on the "to get" list on the PS2 as there are for the GC (and soon Xbox).

MGS2 was never going to be on the Gamecube... Why? I don't know, since if you're going down the multi-format route then you might as well go all the way. Plus they could have taken advantage of the fact that there is a gaming drought on all formats and lapped up the sales. Still fret not Snake, Kojima has officially announced that he's working on an exclusive Gamecube title called "Eclipse" I believe... Just don't expect it to be anything like MGS thats all.

Some strong views there but then I see this console battle to be played in two parts. I expect the Xbox to seriously increase its userbase in the 2nd half and Xbox Live should be the catalyst for it all. Of course this would depend on how good the services are in terms of speed and reliability, but if anyone has the partners and cash to make online gaming financially viable, Microsoft are the one. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo and Sony will react in the next 12 months.

Just to add.. Enclave will now be a multi-format game so the Xbox won't be alone.

21. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Count me in too!

I am getting a bit tired of these "no decent games coming out at the moment on XBOX" threads. It's the quiet season combined with the fact that both the GC and XBOX only launched recently. The PS2 has had a steadier flow of half decent titles but that is because the console is more mature.

I have had the last four consoles from launch and in my opinion, in terms of games, the XBOX is in much better shape than any of the others at this stage of it's lifecycle. I have already bought ten games for the XBOX compared with four for the GC and if my memory serves me well, two for the PS2 at the same stage of it's life.

Halo has been a bit of a double-edged sword for Microsoft. It is an awesome game but this has led to criticism that it's the only decent game on the system. I do not believe this to be the case. The following are all very good games and Moto GP is the best racing game I have played in a long time.

Amped
    Project Gotham Racing
    Rallisport Challenge
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
    Championship Manager
    Max Payne
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Gun Valykrie
    Burnout
    NHL 2002

They need to get a decent football game out soon (PES2 would be perfect) and along with a decent RPG.

I play my XBOX far more than the other consoles and the GC is currently getting played less than my Dreamcast. I know it has great games coming out but don't write off the XBOX.

22. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course everyone is entitled to their views just like this one...

The quantity of games would purely equal to the favoured genre of the person in question.. i.e If one was a racer nut he could own all of the F1 games, GT, Rally, Kart, Moto etc and that would equal to a higher number of owned games quite easily. However most of us are talking about the overall scene of the Xbox and its exclusive titles. Owning all of the consoles doesn't really justify that anyone would not be biased, as we know that such things doesn't happen in reality. If anything it justs shows what one can buy that others cannot, if the phrased was used in such a way.

Most of the games you have listed can be found elsewhere... I mean look at Championship Manager... That would hardly require a top PC to run. If I was being critical I could re-list that like this...

Exclusive
    Amped
    Project Gotham Racing
    Rallisport Challenge
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Gun Valykrie

Multiformat/PC
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
    Championship Manager
    Max Payne
    Gun Valykrie
    Burnout
    NHL 2002

Now if we take away those multiformat games we are left with 5 titles. Of course our own opinion on what is fun and what isn't does vary, but I will give a sum of views from many Xbox owners I know of, and ones that don't own an Xbox but have played the game.

Amped - Everyone hates this since it hardly offers anything new than offering the addition of your own MP3 playback. Probably considered as the worst launch game.

PGR - Has many fans as well as many haters. In my eyes its a competent game since it doesn't aim to be anything like Gran Turismo 3 and is instead a refreshing change (akin to the multiformat Burnout, but that has its flaws). Graphically the cars are nice (although the environment mapping has been noted to be jerky) and the scenery is a bit flat, much like its DC's older brother.

Rallisport Challange - I myself have not played this yet (since I'm holding out for CMR3 ^_^) but from the reviews its very highly recommended.

Jet Set Radio Future - Stupidly under-rated game much like its DC counterpart. I would urge everyone to go out and buy this game NOW!

Gun Valykrie - I must admit I am a fan of this title, although there are many who are not. I can't class this game as a "Triple A system seller" but its worthy of playing.

Overall only Rallisport Challange stands out as a title that will entice gamers to the Xbox from this list IMO. The sales of JSR:F were rather low sadly otherwise I would have gladly put it up on the "systems seller" list (its still a top class game though).

As for RPGs I'm sure there are many Morrowind fans out there but to break out into the mainstream it needs a good traditional RPG like FF to kick things off.

Heh I know I might have sounded rather negative about the Xbox but I tend to tell things as it is. I love gaming and I care about the industry with passion but its with threads like thisthat I am known for being a Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft hater/lover. On other forums I just gave up after mass emails from fanboys and said I supported Atari ^_-

Seriously though I'm not telling everyone NOT to buy an Xbox. I am just trying to state the current form of the Xbox (and other consoles if there was an existing thread) with my views. Of course I'm not telling everyone to listen to me since everyone is an individual in their own right and they would use this information at their own accord.

If you look at the up and coming list for all three consoles then it would be rather bleak indeed. Only Nintendo has some sort of quality but because they have aimed for a niché market they are often disregarded without question.

The more serious question that should be asked (which was started on another thread) would be "what is the future of gaming?" After all, any idiot could add more levels, more characters, more X, Y and Z, but little else. Sadly it seems like the current generation of gamers are more than content with the extras than with any sort of innovation. Which is why I see the Xbox coming in strongly in the second half. With the scratch disk as standard it has lowered another barrier of memory storage and access which should equal to more dynamic scenery, scenarios and gameplay. Of course potential is nothing without execution which is why I look to the smaller Xbox developers (that have nothing to lose) and Lionhead studios,etc which will inject that much needed innovation into a very saturated industry.

23. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The current lack of quality games is a pain, but not the most worrying part. The Xbox just isn't selling well - fact. And that doesn't bode well for a decent catalogue of games in the medium-long term future. I remember the writing was on the wall for the Dreamcast when developers started bailing out. I think Argonaut were one of the first to say that it just wasn't worth their while developing for the DC, and coincidentally they've just had a public falling out with MS that everyone's keeping tight-lipped over.

In a way I'm quite excited about XbLive, but I can't manage to have any optimism for it. UC could be great, and it could take games in some new directions if done properly. But how many quality games are going to be developed to really take advantage of it? I think not many. BB users are still a small minority of Xbox owners, so your market is small to start off with. Then you're only looking at BB users who are also shelling out the extra to subscribe to the Live service, which is effectively an add-on, and console add-ons do not have a great history of market take-up (32x, mega-cd, N64DD etc). Rather than original games that take multi-player as their starting point, and do new and original things, I think we'll see developers play safe with what are basically single-player games with a XbLive option bolted onto it. This won't be a big selling point.

Neoblade used the word 'momentum' and I think that's the key. PS2 running away, the GC seems to be builiding a solid base in all it's markets. The Xbox was ahead of the GC in the states, now it's struggling to stay level, and it's surely a matter of time before it's in a clear 3rd place. GC has had the legs on Xbox in Europe since day one, and your average Japanese gamer probably doesn't know an Xbox from a junction box. Even allowing for the fact that MS is prepared to throw huge amounts of money at the Xbox it seems pretty unlikely that this is going to get turned round.

24. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say I was in Virgin today looking around when I saw the consoles. I am not much of a gamer and still have an old PSX. I looked at the Xbox then noticed the GC for £129. I thought 'blooody hell, thats cheap'. Pocket money really. I think I will still go for Xbox in the end for 5.1 but I was tempted for a mo just to buy a GC for a larf.

S

25. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

its looks like they must have done soemthing right with halo & pgr
    as their sequals are in production according to IGN.com

"Microsoft Vice President of Xbox Game Content, Ed Fries, had this to say about the announcement: "There's only one thing better than announcing a sequel to a million-seller, and that's announcing sequels to two 1-million-unit-selling games. Our Halo and Project Gotham Racing franchises have redefined the shooter and racing categories around the world with innovation, great gameplay and pure fun. Halo 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2 will build on these legacies with awesome new features and the thrill of playing anyone anywhere using Xbox Live." http://xbox.ign.com 8/8/02

Cya,
    Shaz

26. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add the GC can do some very effective Pro Logic II work and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between real-time PLII and DD5.1. Odd to base a consoles purchase on sound alone though. To each his own.

But then anything thats pupular would spawn a sequel... Look at Tony Hawks Pro Skater and the FIFA license... Not to mention Mega Man which has well over 30+ games to his name.

27. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unreal
    Halo 2
    Deus Ex 2
    Morrowind
    Project Ego
    Breed
    Splinter Cell
    Thief 3
    Hitman 2
    Blinx
    Gotham 2
    Colin Mcrae 3
    Rally Fusion
    MGS: Substance

Right, that's 14 games that are anticipated to be pretty much killer apps for the Xbox. There are 300 in dev, and 150 planned to be with us for christmas. Chill out, It just takes a while. My mate moaned about the crap games for the then-new PS2 for ages. When we've got this lot, plus online gaming + communicator headsets, we'll be laughing.

28. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    None of these games are exclusive? Project Ego might be..... however there is nothing to entice me to buy an X-Box, I have a PC and a gamecube and I can play all these games and a helluva lot more through exclusive titles.

I already have communicator headsets and online gaming... so I am already laughing :)

Nearly all my mates have PCs, none of them want an X-Box because there are no games on it that they cannot play the same game or equivalent or better than on the PC.

MS really need to get some exclusives on the go... which may happen now that Universal/Vivendi are selling up (In case you are unaware they hold the developers for the some of the biggest PC games ever created, Sierra/Blizzard etc.).

29. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Before I start this post, let me just re-iterate I have owned an XBOX since US Launch and would consider myself a long-time hardcore gamer ;).

A great game but for me, Unreal and all it's incarnations is well played out. Nothing special to see it appearing on the XBOX. I won't be buying.

Looking forward to this one but it will not surpass Halo. The simple nature of "the sequel" will insure this.

Has fantastic potential. Will most likely be great but it's also in development for the PC. While I will no doubt prefer to play it on XBOX, a great many people will not. This non-exclusivity is a bad thing, If gamers constantly see previews of forthcoming games that will be available on the PC as well, why would they buy an XBOX? Answer is - they won't.

Undecided as yet.

Touted as Molyneux's nest RPG masterpiece. Well Peter Molyneux hasn't delivered for quite some time now so let's be a little more cautious when referring to this title as a killer app. Release date at least 6 months away if we're lucky - Black & White anyone?

Shaping up well but this will not compare to Halo. Supposedly out on the PC this month, the XBOX version deoesn't even have a definitive release date.

Has potential. Another one to look forward to. Supposedly builds on all aspects of MGS 2 but if history is anything to go by, Ubi Soft's attempt will not live up to expectations. I doubt they will be able to deliver as polished a game as Konami's long term franchise. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say they will not.

PC Game.

PC Game.

A killer app this just may well be :).

Yawwwwnnnnn :rolleyes: - not another sequel.

PC Game + See above comment.

May as well go for Colin McCrae 3 over this.

Slightly prettier graphics and a rejigged storyline does not warrant re-purchase. A great game it will be but most people will already have bought it for the PS2 months ago.

I would re-assess that figure to more like 3 pntential but not guaranteed killer apps.

A statement of little meaning. How many times do we need to hear "over 300 games in development blah blah blah" from the marketing hype machine. No system in the history of gaming, even going back to the good old days of the Spectrum, C64 et al., can boast a back catalogue of anywhere near 300 games worth playing.

Yes it does take a while but lets just take a reality check and consider the here and now for a moment. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to wait the guts of a year or two before I can choose to play some great games. The PS2 in my eyes was, and still is, a major underachievment. Sony became complacent fools after the success of the PS1. They couldn't even be bothered or didn't have the know-how to re-design the control pad.

It bores me to say it again but XBOX has had ONE killer app to it's name, a killer app in the same league as the likes of benchmark titles such as Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Gran Turismo, MGS 2, and that killer app is Halo. In all other regards, the XBOX has sorely dissappointed me.

I am not happy and I don't think Microsoft should be congratulated now for what it may deliver in the future. In my opinion, The XBOX has been a damn disgrace of (near ;)) Atari Jaguar proportions. I won't be selling it but I also won't be switching it on for the foreseeable future either.

30. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    It's painful, but....yup. What he just said.
    :(

When I've finished getting all the replay value I can out of the games I've got I 'm more than likely going for a GC. Can't wait to get stuck into Super Monkey Ball and Mario Sunshine and I'll keep my aging PC for CS and UT sessions.

Actually, I'm surprised there haven't been more gloating PS2 and GC owners sticking their oar in this thread. Maybe that's a sign of just how inconsequential the Xbox is in terms of the market.