Xbox internal pics

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ReTrO, Oct 29, 2002.

1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Has anybody got any photo's of the insides of an Xbox? Or know of a website that has?

I'm thinking of getting one or a case to use as the chassis for a Mini-ITX EPIA-2 based HTPC.

I mainly need to know if the DVD-transport connects by IDe and likewise with the HDD (I think it has one?)

Cheers guys.

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep the Xbox HDD drive uses a ATA/33 cable but to use a PC one (ATA/100), you must make sure that ALL of the cables on the IDE cable are intact. On some IDE's, a single cable is cut short... Also when you do this, it increases the performance of the HDD ^_^

For the DVD-transport it is also connected via IDE but the power supply pinout is different.

Here is a quote from the site I have taken the information from. All credit goes to the folks at http://www.icrontic.com.

"The DVD drive in the Xbox is a normal DVD reader. You can use this DVD reader in your computer. The pinout on the back of the drive is not standard, and thus you can't just plug it in to a normal 4-pin molex power connector. However, the pinout on the back of the reader is:

12V-G-X-X-X-G
    5V-3V-X-X-G-G

G = Ground, X = Unknown. Connect the 12V to yellow, the 5V to red, and G to the right of the 12V wire to black. Power your computer up, and a Thomson DVD-ROM drive will appear in the BIOS - viola. The drive model is TGM600.

That data you need can be found here -
    Part 1

Part 2

Hope this helps mate and let me know how you get on with the HTPC since I'm looking into the scene myself...

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cheers m8y!

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs Retro. Don't forget to hit me back with your HTPC findings! ^_^

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Will do! It's kinda annoying I'm not at school still because if I was I could cast a proper aluminium Xbox case like the Xbox should be. That would be sweet.::D

I'll be getting a mini-itx mobo around xmas/jan time when I've a bit more money spare.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mini stuff so far looks cool plus most have an AGP port as well. BTW.. What kind of software are you planning to use for the HTPC? I know this isn't the right place to talk about it but on the other side theres more hardware specs then software progs listed...

BTW I'm also making my own case to house all of my current consoles - GB, NES, MD, SNES, Sat, PSX, N64, PS2, GC, GBA and Xbox. I'll leave out the GB and GBA but the rest will fit into this "console case". Should be great ^_^

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds cool. Will all the consoles be in 1 case, or just have identical cases?

I'm probably going to run WinXP, dunno yet though.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WinXP.. Noooo! ^_^ Sorry but after testing WinXP Pro and WinXP Pro Coroprate for 2 months I don't like either operating systems. IMO its just too "fluffy" and its trying to do everything... Which it does badly in some cases IMO.

If its just as a HTPC I would use Win2k Pro if the software supports it, or Win98 Lite. Win98 Lite really is quite nice to have and once I built my desktop PC I'll be dual booting Win2k Pro/Server and Win98 Lite.

For DVD playback though would you use PowerDVD? WinDVD? I've heard of HTPCs being capable of "per pixel mapping" or something... Which is the best type of image you can get.

The Console case I've designed will house all of the consoles... Without modifying the original consoles cases so anyone can use it. If I did modify the original consoles' cases then it would fit into a smaller area... But still its all rather compact as it is. Basically its wider than the Xbox by about 5cm and is about 30cm or so high. It'll be built with a mix of MDF, metal grids (for passive cooling) and brushed aluminium sheets and of course will be cooled with suitable fans. The chassis will probably be welded together using metal to add strength.

I also forgot to add my humble Dreamcast to that list >_< I was thinking about modifying some of the older console cases like the N64, SNES, MD etc but I'm not too sure. If I did the overall size would drop... I need to look into it more but I wouldn't modify the cases of my Xbox, PS2 or Gamecube thats for sure.

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I use PowerDVD at the moment, i quite like WinXP actually, the main reason I use it is because it's the first bit of Windows software I've 'bought' properly and I wanted to have any backup if needed. It's been fine so far.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe Retro, I hear you. Download a bit of software called "TweakUI" if you haven't already... Its a very useful prog that will help speed up a few things under a Windows OS. I'll post my design blueprint for my console case if you want as well.. So far I'm trying to give it a minimalist and retro look. I did plan to have it to look like a Panasonic Q...

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, surprised you hate Win XP so much, it is the only OS MS has released since 3.1 that I have been impressed with.

It takes a little while to get used to, but it does have some nifty features, which make Windows nicer to use.

Although, with the service packs for 2K pro the OS's are essentially the same it is just the look that is different. I still have bad memories for the driver support for Win 2K when it came out!!

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats the only downside IMO of Win2k Pro... Driver support and videogame support. Now its not so bad but trying to get the older games to run isn't always fun. I dunno... WinXP Pro Corporate was okay once it was tweaked and stripped down but I haven't got used to it just yet. I've installed it on my dads PC and my sisters laptop a good while ago and it still hasn't grown on me.

Chances are I'll only move on if Win2k becomes significantly limited compared to WinXP or the evil "Longhorn".