1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX in car without an inverter?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Phantom84, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Phantom84

Phantom84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi I would like to connect my xbox in my car without the use of an inverter. I currently am using one that I bought from Maplins but I rather have it connected to the car battery instead but dont know how.

I have read you need to convert the xbox to 12v :rolleyes: (erm how?)

If there is anyone who can help with this I would be very grateful as the inverter is doing my head in, the static lines are very annoying and the inverter itself isnt exactly quiet.

Thanks in advanced :thumbsup:

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290

From experience of mod-chipping a couple of xboxes.....

The xbox itself is a cutdown, modified PC. It runs I believe on 12v anyway. The Mains power input on the back leads to an internal power supply unit which steps down the voltage to 12v to run the xbox. All you would need to do is open the xbox (which will void the warranty), undo a screw inside. Lift the plastic housing containing the dvd and hdd. Under where the HDD is, there is a rectangular internal power supply. Locate the output from this (should be fairly obvious when you see enside I think). Measure the voltage out using a multimeter (should be 12v) and then all you need to do is get that same voltage to the same straight from the car's 12v supply.

Warning: Be extremely careful when dealing with the xbox internal psu as it has 240v coming into it and even after it's unplugged, you are still going to have charged capacitors on it so avoid taking any risks regarding to electocution.

Hope this helps. If you can get some schematics of the xbox internal power connector then you're halfway there. xbox-scene.com may have some help on this.

Best of luck.

dan

P.s: To dismantle xbox:

remove four rubber feet, unscrew each screw beneath
    under warranty label is another and there's one at the centre of the xbox too.
    lift off cover.
    3 screws hold the hdd/dvd caddy in place, so undo them
    lift caddy, carefully disconnecting the cables too.
    with your xbox in front of you with power/eject buttons nearest you (just like as is was playing the xbox), power supply is the pcb to your right.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just out of curiosity a car pushes out 12v up to 14/15v when running, how does this effect the xbox, which is used to a steady consistant 12 volts from the converter?

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sorry,
    Not sure. Would suggest you have something to regulate the voltage, but my knowledge of this is limited, so I'd probably recommend you ask at somewhere like maplins tho..
    Sorry couldn't help.

Dan.