1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Hi Def leads and Hitachi 37" plasma

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ianrawlins, Apr 21, 2005.

1. ianrawlins

ianrawlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've recently bought a Hitachi 37" plasma TV. I started connecting my Xbox to it using a scart cable, but with only one scart input I opted to import a hi def cable (Componenent) from the states.

I know this will not run in Hi Def as my Xbox is a uk Xbox and is not modded. Ithought however that the picture quality would be identical to the scart and I wouldn't have to swap cables around everytime I wanted to use the xbox.

This hasn't worked out though. The PQ seems to have degraded now using the component cable. It seems to have many vertical "fuzzy"columns in the picture.

Does anyone have any idea if this can be corrected and how? I have tried many settigns on the tv, but none have fixed it.

Thanks in advance

apologies for not quoting the tv model number but I don't have it on me. I can post this up later if it's needed.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Afaik the xbox only outputs in 480i, so dvd quality will be quite poor anyway.

3. ianrawlins

ianrawlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, this is with games though not DVD's. I wasn't looking for an improvement in PQ over scart because my Xbox is only a non modded UK Xbox (so no Hi Def Output). But the PQ has actually got worse with the component cables. Any ideas why anyone?

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Is this the official ms hi-def kit? I heard some of the third-party ones weren't as good?

5. ianrawlins

ianrawlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the official MS one, but it iss a reputable make. I think it could have been Monster. It was about 65 dollars (35 -40 quid) so not what you might call cheap.

I suppose it could be the quality, but I don't think so.

6. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Monster make the best quality component cable for the Xbox, apparently it even beats the Official MS HD Pack, so it shouldn't be a cable problem. I believe that a PAL Xbox won't output through a component cable properly unless HD is enabled.

Assuming that your Hitachi is HD ready, your best bet is to soft-mod the Xbox and enable Hi-Def output. It should make a huge difference to the picture quality.

Heres a link on how to do it, it's relatively easy;

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=1&pp=30

Ive recently imported an Official MS HD pack for use with a Hitachi CP-S225 projector, but Ive not had the time to set it all up and enable HD on the Xbox.

Hope that helps!

7. sandys

sandys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

I had exactly the same problem but on my Dell 2405 TFT do the mod thing and swicth the box to NTSC, this cured the viertical banding issue for me.

Cheers

8. ianrawlins

ianrawlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your help.

I've found that everywhere seems to be out of stock of the Action replay. The only place I can find is:

http://uk.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=GB&cr=GBP&cs=£&r=1&l=1&ProdID=119

Is this what I'm looking for?

Are there any down sides to doing this. I do use Xbox live etc and my tv cn cope with a hi def signal.

I also have no other use for the action replay and I don't own mechassault or splinter cell. So this could be an expensive solution (maybe about 40 quid). Does anyone else have any suggestions?

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    People suggest that the soft-mod will not disrupt the XBL service. As to other suggestions, I’m afraid there aren’t any, it’s a lot of hassle to do but once it’s setup it’s meant to be worth it.

10. deepio

deepio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get the vertical bands running down the screen and i am using compoent and outputting progressive 480 as i have a modded xbox. Really bugging me as its preventing me from using the xbox and i don't see this one being solved by the time the 360 is out. God help me if it has the same problem.

12. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, instead of an action replay you can just use a usb pen with a usb to xbox cable off ebay and download the action replay software and edit the .ini file. There should be a guide in the xbox scene forums.