1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox hi-def kit...will it work????

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Matravers, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a panasonic plasma and want to connect xbox using component inputs.......my xbox is std uk, so i know i will not get progressive scan output, but in theory interlaced component should be better than rgb anyway.

Can anyone tell me if it will work?????

Also, how will my xbox know to output component as it is not an option on the dashboard, or will it appear when the cable is connected????

Anyone connected using it with std uk xbox's comments would be hugely helpful...........will it improve over advanced rgb, or at the least will it be the same???

Gamertag: MATRAVERS

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Yes, it'll work. Just plug it in - no need to mess around with settings, it'll just work straight away.

It's a nice jump in quality too - especially the colours. Of course, you'll soon start wondering if progressive scan is significantly better, as I did.

For the record, progressive scan IS better, but if your screen has a decent de-interlacer, it's probably not worth the effort chipping the xbox. My sanyo Z1's deinterlacer is a bit pants, so my xbox looks a lot better in p-scan

3. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the pal xbox doesn't output pal prog scan even with the hi-def pack then?

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    It does, but its one of those 'not officially supported' thngs..

I use a true XBOX VGA converter that looks like a HiDef lead to the XBOX (It then uses the 640*480P mode), and it works on a majority of games, but it doesn't work for all games, e.g. TOCA RACE driver (PAL)...

I have chipped my xbox, and used the Video Selector prog to switch it to output NTSC (more games work in this mode, even if they are PAL games ..bizzarre but true...), and then patched the Dashboard to autodetect and use HiDef mode when it is plugged in, so I can see the dashbaoard as well..

So far its only TOCA Race Driver that doesn't work...

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you have a chipped xbox (I know you love that XBox live :) , so it's unlikely you do ) you will not be able to get prog scan out of a PAL box with any cable.

Anyone tells you otherwise, they're wrong.

6. strangelittle

strangelittle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would the hi res cable set improve brightness of games. I'm using a standard uk xbox on to a 32" sony tv (kv32fx68) and whilst picture ok games like wolvenstein are too dark, games option full brightness, tv full brightness but still dark. any ideas

(and i know its meant to be a darkish games but its just too much)