1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox help for a newbie!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kreid, Nov 26, 2004.

1. kreid

kreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

I'm a newbie to Xbox (and these forums really)....came over here from the DVDF.

I got myself an Xbox yesterday and have been having conversations with a few guys at work about modding and chipping them.

The Xbox I got was a Crystal (bargain with 2 extra controllers, steering wheel and game for £99 in Argos) and I want to mod the console so I can play imported and copied games.

I was also wondering if there are chips to do anything else fancy - like, could I get a chip that mods it for the above, but also lets me watch DVD's on it?

So, could any of you tell me where I can get a well priced chip from. Secondly, would I be able to do it myself, or should I get the guy at work to do it (but he wants £30.00 for it - plus payment for chip on top of that!)

Cheers guys.

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You can watch R2 dvd's on any Xbox, but if you chip it you will be able to play multi region dvd's provided you also have the appropriate software on there.
    I bought my SmartXX chip from www.premodded.com . Very good service.
    You can get a solderable one if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, or send your xbox to premodded and he will fit it for you.
    Alternatively, try one of the solderless adapters like the Xaptor.

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Please note that people will be happy to talk about chipping your XBox to play import games.

But discussion of how to help people play copied games is a no no. :rolleyes:

P.S. Not directed at you Stellavision! :)

4. kreid

kreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that guys, and thanks to Squiffy for the heads up on the rules (read but not digested!).

I'd def prefer to have a chip I can add myself, rather than have someone solder it - I take it I'd be able to remove it after if I had any problems?

So, these chips - what exactly (within forums rules) will it allow me to do?

Cheers

5. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Not if you have a the re-released crystal box as the solderless ones dont fit. I dont think the originals accept the solderless ones either.

Fitting the mod chip to the new crystals is not a easy job and not one for the novice solder. I would get it done by a pro.

6. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yes, but generally you wont find a problem unless you have a bad solder joint,
    Also you can turn off the chips with a switch on the front.
    Check out this web site www.xbox-scene.com

tells you all you will ever need to know.

7. kreid

kreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, mate. Have given it a look, but in fairness, still don't really understand exactly what it can do (says it all, I don't understand any terminology and I work as an IT Consultant!! :) )

8. kreid

kreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've given that website a look and cannot for the life of me work out which chip I should get.

I just want to be able to play various types of games, and get them imported.

Which solderless chip is best, and best value? Can anyone help me?

Cheers

9. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Xecuter 2.6 is a good choice, it will allow you to do everything you wish.
    But again if you have a crystal x box you will not be able to use a Solderless adapter.

10. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Will the new spider solderless chip work with the new crystal xbox ?

thanks,

Johnnypanic

11. kreid

kreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn - I have the Crystal box - and as I've picked it up new, I'd expect that it's a new one. So, looks like I'm gonna have to get someone decent to do the chipping for me....and I thought I could do it on the cheap fitting it myself. Gutted.

12. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116

Sure will, just been released about 3 days ago. That was news to me, Only thing that would bother me would be those wires becoming loose and pinging out. That design works ok on the D0 point on the Xapter so looks like a winner.

13. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Think I'll order a spider :thumbsup:

Will report back with results.

Johnnypanic

14. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Basically a standard xbox has within it's bios a security feature that only allows programs to run that are signed by microsoft. By installing a chip you bypass the standard bios and load a hacked bios that allows any program to run, be it signed or not.

Any chip can be flashed with any of the availiable hacked bioses and allow unsigned code to run - though there are issues with certain bioses and v1.6 xboxes. So really any and every chip will allow you to do the same things with your xbox, though the latest generation chips have a few more bells and whistles ie built in FTP server and HTTP server allowing very easy installation and bios flashing.

So as well as playing imported games and 'backups' of the games you already own, you can run a whole host of other software such as xbox media centre (my personal fav) which allows you stream video (avi, ogm, rm, mov) from any computer on a network or off the xbox hdd and watch them on your tv. This app is worth the price of the xbox and the mod on its own - forget about the games!!

I know very little about modding a v1.6 cos mine was a v1.4, I did the soldering myself and did not find it too hard. Even if it costs you an extra £60 you wont regret it a bit!

Well that was bit more of my time at work wasted :D

15. unleashyourxbox

unleashyourxbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wassup.

New to these forums, but loving them..

I was thinking of buying a brand new crystal xbox untill I heard about the new motherboard versions, i.e. 1.6, 1.6B and soooo on..

Im not the best solder in the world so I thought I would buy from the net a pre-modded Xbox. Searched for ages and found www.unleashyourxbox.co.uk had some of the best prices I could find and some great reviews on www.xbox-scene.com. Answered all my dumb questions really quick and got myself a brand new crystal xbox with the spanking new Xecuter 3 modchip! well happy! :D

16. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Surely not a shameless plug :laugh: