xbox hdtv streaming

D65

Hey all,

I recently purchased a pioneer 436 plasma display, and I plan on buying an xbox in the near future.

I would buy the xbox mainly for it's ability to stream HDTV to my plasma.

Question: What hardware will I need?, Do I need a mediacenter PC or just mediacenter software on my normal pc?, can I stream wirelessly?.

Will my normal pc do for the job?,

thanks

dimitri

wells

Standard Member
I have just installed the Media Center software on my standard PC. You don't need a huge spec, my pc is an Athlon 64 3500 - about 2 yrs old. I got the software from Scan.co.uk as it's not commonly available from places like PC World etc.
The software looks and runs just like normal XP until you click the Media Centre button.
I haven't tried it via wireless but i was told when I bought the Xbox that it would be better wired if streaming. (the shop lost out on a wireless adapter sale so I trusted them on that one)

D65

thanks chris

how's the picture quality and such?...

cyberheater

If your only using your PC to stream hdtv to your 360 then you can get away with a really low spec machine as your PC is only getting used as a file server.

Even a 1ghz pentium (or maybe lower) would be sufficient as the 360 does all the actual decoding of the video stream etc...

shacky

Standard Member
wireless is ace i use it on 2 pcs and 2 360s,set the trans buffer to a large space on the biggest hard drive...:)

cyberheater

BTW. You're gonna need a wired ethernet cable. Wireless just doesn't cut it for HDTV transport streams.

D65

Wired or wireless.......

There seem to be different opinions on that issue...

My pc has an athlon xp 3200 processor by the way, so that wouldn't be a problem. videocard is an ati radeon 9800 pro.

Bleem

Distinguished Member
Dont even think about sending HD stuff over wireless, especially not if both your PC and 360 are using it - you might get away with having the PC wired to your router tho...

In all honesty - i spent £30 on a home networking kit, ripped off my skirting boards and plumbed it in myself. Performance is fantastic ! you get sh|t loads of Cat5 points in the kit so you can wire as many rooms as you please.

OldSwitcheroo

have you a link to the networking kit.

I feel some skirtingboard removal jobs coming up....

Intya

Unfortunately that low spec thing isn't quite true (unless I'm doing something wrong). I've installed MCE2005 on a 2.3GHz 256MB RAM bog standard desktop, and streaming HD WMV's just doesn't work. Well, it will stream for about five-ten minutes, and then it just keeps skipping video frames and dropping audio. Have tried both wireless (PC wired to router, 802.11a to 360) & all wired connections, but it still doesn't go.

Any advice? (apart from buy more RAM:rolleyes: )

emporer

Banned
Wireless works a treat for me streaming hd stuff, I stream .ts stuff to my 360 on the wifi via a netgear wgt624 and its perfect, no interuptions at all. There isnt much ditance between them though, probly about 4 metres max but still streams everything flawlessly.

Bleem

Distinguished Member
emporer said:
Wireless works a treat for me streaming hd stuff, I stream .ts stuff to my 360 on the wifi via a netgear wgt624 and its perfect, no interuptions at all. There isnt much ditance between them though, probly about 4 metres max but still streams everything flawlessly.

Indeed matey - but thats .ts files only, thats what the file type is good at.

I had horrendous jitters with other types of flicks.

Here's the kit I bought - HD heaven. Oh, and it's on discount just now too - which is nice.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/free_uk_delivery/Network_Installation_Kit_44386/Network_Installation_Kit_44386.htm

Intya

Jordans Norks said:
Your memory is too small mate!
Figured as much! I can get a 512MB stick fairly cheaply, is 768MB total RAM going to be enough to satisfy the need?

cyberheater

Intya said:
Unfortunately that low spec thing isn't quite true (unless I'm doing something wrong). I've installed MCE2005 on a 2.3GHz 256MB RAM bog standard desktop, and streaming HD WMV's just doesn't work. Well, it will stream for about five-ten minutes, and then it just keeps skipping video frames and dropping audio. Have tried both wireless (PC wired to router, 802.11a to 360) & all wired connections, but it still doesn't go.

Any advice? (apart from buy more RAM:rolleyes: )
I would say if your experiencing frame skipping then it's a network or configuration type issue.

Bleem

Distinguished Member
It really could be any number of things - I'd run a full defrag on your HDD, that should help at least a little bit.

Might be worth considering a SATA disk too.

Whats your network throughput like ?

Intya

I'll have to have another bash at the weekend (only peaceful time I get without the missus wanting the TV). There's sod all on the hard drive bar a few HD films, though a defrag probably wouldn't go amiss.

This machine is only a bog standard pantsy thing she bought when she was still at sixth form. I fully intend to build a l33t machine when the credit card is paid off :cool:

S

spadge

could be low ram mine used to signal low on virtual memory think you need at least 512mb

Should be - I noticed in a virtual machine flawless performance after about 512, so 768 should be more than adequate

Intya said:
Figured as much! I can get a 512MB stick fairly cheaply, is 768MB total RAM going to be enough to satisfy the need?

emporer

Banned
Bleem said:
Indeed matey - but thats .ts files only, thats what the file type is good at.

I had horrendous jitters with other types of flicks.

Here's the kit I bought - HD heaven. Oh, and it's on discount just now too - which is nice.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/free_uk_delivery/Network_Installation_Kit_44386/Network_Installation_Kit_44386.htm

Its not just .ts files but everything is perfect for me, I do grab alot of wmvhd stuff and it streams without hassle. Its not the file type that governs how it streams, transport streams (.ts) are large, gladiator BEV is 20gb+ so streaming all that data is alot, no different to streaming 20gb+ of wmvhd

B

Billstewart

ive got media centre all hooked up and working with my 360 but wen i tell it to play the hdtv movies it just sits with a spinning disk and does nothing:confused:

any suggestions wot mite be the problem??:lesson: :lesson:

tinners

amrypooins said:
Are you using Transcode 360?

If you are and the files you are trying to play are .mkv files (seems to be very popular for HD rips now) then you need to do a simple registry hack, which is detailed here...

http://www.runtime360.com/forums/read.php?3,2204

It really does work too.
Great link mate thanks will give this a shot when I get home. Been trying to find the latest mencoder as the one on the runtime360 forums doesnt work and didnt just want to donwload a random one unless it busted my PC.

Oh BTW you did try it and it works right ? ;)

And does it work for the Quicktime HD trailers also ?

amrypooins

tinners said:
Oh BTW you did try it and it works right ? ;)

And does it work for the Quicktime HD trailers also ?
Not tried QT movies but it worked for my .mkv movies. I had to play with the audio/video delay settings a bit but once that was sorted it was perfect.