XBOX HDTV Games List

PC Nut

Established Member
Reaction score
Can we have a sticky, with a list of games and the resolution they support.
(480 - 720 P) etc

Many thanks PC Nut.

Please add your games to this list.

Thanks supersonic87 for the links, just thought we should have a reference here.

Can't answer your question though as ive not heared of a (NTSC video selector disk )

Originally posted by supersonic87
HDTV Arcade
HDTV Pub

Not having a HDTV, could anybody tell me if a PAL XBox modded with a PAL-NTSC video selector disk would output the same res as the equivilent NTSC game.

Rich

If you dont have progressive capable display then the videomode selector will simply allow NTSC output, you wont really notice any difference as most PAL games run perfectly in PAL60 anyway (with a very few exceptions)
Also some PA:L games wont work when the machine is in NTSC mode..England Intl Footie is just one of them :(

Not having a HDTV, could anybody tell me if a PAL XBox modded with a PAL-NTSC video selector disk would output the same res as the equivalent NTSC game.

I don't think so, no - the PAL Xbox seems to use a slightly different video chip, that has had all HDTV ability removed from it, so they simply aren't capable of doing it, no matter what you do. The only way to get HDTV out of an Xbox is to own a US or Japanese machine.

As for those lists, I have found them to be VERY unreliable. Here is the list of games I know for a fact support HDTV on the Xbox:

First off, 99% of Xbox games support 480p, so there is no point listing them. Even those that say they don't on the box (Brute Force) actually do. I have so far only found 1 game that doesn't support 480p and that was XGRA, which was crap anyway. I've been told there are a few others, but nothing important.

As for 'proper' HDTV games:

720p

Amped 2
Freedom Fighters
THUG
Soul Calibur 2 (displays as 4:3 within a 16:9 frame to maintain framerate)

1080i

Dragons Lair
Syberia
Enter the Matrix

Sonic Heroes is not 720p, despite what it says on the box.

These are the only ones I know for definite, there may be others I haven't tested.

Best looking HD game overall? Amped 2, by far - 720p rocks and it is a great looking game that looks even more amazing in the higher res! It would be SC2, but that 4:3 thing really detracts from the overall impact.

Actually, I just bought a retail PAL Xbox and had it modded and if you use the Enigmah Video Mode switcher to change region to NTSC, the option for all HDTV output modes appears in the MS dashboard (which you can still access once your new software is installed). This requires a component cable to be connected but it most definitely works as the image is perfect on my HDTV LCD and the 480/720/1024 options are all there :)

Just to second the fact that a PAL Xbox (when modded) can do all the HDTV modes just fine (I even bought Syberia to check mine could do 1080i!)

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no difference re. video hardware between a US & UK Xbox. Just one is factory set to NTSC (+possible HDTV modes), and one PAL.

It even does PAL games in Progressive Scan mode =D At least the few that I have anyway.

Originally posted by Akael
It even does PAL games in Progressive Scan mode =D At least the few that I have anyway.

Sorry to sound stupid, but.....

What does Progressive Scan mode =D mean and how do you activate it?

I've found that most of my PAL games will happily play in 460P, but some (Timesplitters 2, 007 Agent Under Fire) have problems unless the Xbox is running as a PAL machine.

for 007 to play at 480p u have to disable 720p and 1080i

silly i know

I just mean the progressive options that appear in the MS Dashboard when it's in NTSC mode, the =D is just a smiley =)

The pre-requisites for progressive output are:
a)a chipped box
b)enigmah videomode changer set to NTSC

You'll then find the progressive options in the MS Dashboard.

A chipped xbox can not output pal progressive scan only ntsc but i am sure microsoft could sort it out if they wanted to with a software update through xbox live.

Mine certainly does as my screen always flickers slightly after the Xbox goes from Dashboard view to the game and I notice a significant quality difference. Incidentally that flicker happens when I enable progressive on my progressive scan DVD player, so it's easy to tell when my screen is displaying progressive =)

However, I can't speak for all games or all versions of Xbox, mine is brand new if that makes any difference.

Nope, but you can tell because its a very high resolution LCD and I can spot the changes from standard component images to progressive ones.

I'm pretty sure peahead is correct. I am certain no xbox (chipped or otherwise) can output PAL progressive scan.

NTSC and chipped PAL XBox's can output NTSC progressive scan (+ HDTV modes) though, and I think this is what Akael is seeing.

My projector will accept PAL and NTSC progressive scan (+ HDTV modes), and show the type of signal it is using. My chipped XBox (large number of PAL & NTSC games) has never been able to produce a PAL progressive image.

Does that mean that some PAL games contain NTSC progressive information, or is something else happening? I swear I'm not seeing things o_O

From my experience it seems that most recent PAL games will happily play in NTSC Progressive (480P) on a chipped XBox.

I do though, have some games that will only play in normal, interlaced NTSC (480I), or not display anything in NTSC at all (where I need to switch the XBox back to PAL).

Certainly the games that play in 480P always look much sharper than those that only do 480I.

Cheers,

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom