• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox HDD installation - error 21

ActualWinners

Established Member
I have a chipped Xbox with an Xecuter 2 and am intending to do a case transplant and install a big hard disk to use it as a media receiver.

I have dug out an old 40gb 5400rpm Maxtor I had (just to test with), but have had difficulty installing it. I've put together an XISO, burned it and booted the Xbox with the replacement HDD attached. It reads the CD and eventually comes up with the infamous Error 21 screen of death.

From what I understand, this usually points to a problem with the default.xbe file within the install image. I had my Xbox chipped by xbox-mod.co.uk (who incidentally did a good, quick job) as I am too incompetent at soldering to risk doing it myself. The peculiar thing is, there is no default.xbe in the root of c:\ - I created a default.xbe file for the boot image by taking a copy of evoXdash.xbe.

Is there something obvious wrong with what I have done? If I omit default.xbe entirely, the failure is an error 13 implying that default.xbe was expected but not found. Is there a line in evx.ini denoting what file to load for the dashboard? I noted a line for "MSDashBoard" but nothing else relevant...

Any advice appreciated, I have tried obtaining a new download for Evo-X but am struggling to get hold of it (I know where to look incidentally ;) )

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom