XBOX HD Playback dilema?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by cs3007, Dec 28, 2006.

1. cs3007

cs3007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have some HD content, but they are .ts files. I used to stream these over wired Lan using Media Center, but now have moved my 360 and this is not really possible now.

What options do I have? I have recently found out about some software called Encode360, but this seems like a long process to encode them to .WMV, then I have the problem of storage, do I decrease the .ts filesize and lose quality and burn to DVD, or can I encode with no quality then have the problem of were to store the file for playback on the 360?

Could the 360 read off an external USB HDD formatted to FAT32?

Or should I just build myself a HTPC?

Cheers

2. KataMaster

KataMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi CS, i hope i've interpreted your requirements correctly, but why don't you use Transcode360? Available here http://runtime360.com/projects/transcode-360/transcode-360-download

I've been using this program for the past couple of months, and find it perfect for the job, it transcodes files in real time/on the hop, so no need to have two of each file types of each movie stored on your PC. For SD movies its fine, however for HD files of around 1.5GB or more, i have to start the transcode process and leave it to transcode (bit like putting a cake in the oven and waiting for it to bake:D ) and then once its finished it stores it in a buffer file and once its there you can watch it from the beginning all the way through without any problems!

I have a wired Ethernet connection, 10 M cable running around the outside of my house:D

I've probably just been rattling on about something completely useless and not what you were originally asking:rolleyes:

3. cs3007

cs3007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I do not have a wired connection any longer due to the relocation of the 360. I had the same as you before using a hardwired lan and media centre and it worked fine. But now with HD being a no go over Wifi, I was looking to play them from the 360 without streaming. If that is not an option I will have to get it hard wired networked again, or shell out £120 for some of those 200mbps homeplugs.