1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox HD AV pack problems..

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Skittles, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Skittles

Skittles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I got my High Definition AV Pack today for my UK Xbox. While the sound is great it does not give me the option to select 720 for the video i.e. Hi Def. The onlu choice I have is Pal60 on/off.

Do I have faulty equipment?

Thanks

2. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You need to mod your xbox to enable the hidef options as uk units didn't have this feature.
    Someone will hopefully give you some more advice as my xbox is standard as well.

Colin.

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a great long thread on this, but I've just 'soft-modded' mine to take advantage of 480p and the image is fantastic. Bear in mind I think the component output via PAL using the Hi Def leads is probably only of composite quality upsampled to component and that you must find a way to switch the video output to NTSC mode.

The soft mod involves no chipping or opening your x-box, have a look here for the low-down. However, you won't be able to play true Hi Def 720p or 1080i games from the US for instance without chipping the console as it will still only accept UK software. Take it from me however, that 480p on an 84' screen looks pretty amazing by itself!

I bought my Action Replay device from Play BTW in case you have problems sourcing one.

4. Skittles

Skittles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys many thanks for your replies

5. BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get it modded - you wont regret it.

I have had a modded one for a couple of years and apart from the odd game play I use basically as a media player using XBMC. I finally got round to getting the HD AV cables and WOW - I downloaded some HD 720p files and streamed them to the Xbox onto the Plazzy - what a picture.

The games look amazing aswell - The NTSC version of Amped 2 I got from the States a few months back runs in 720p.

6. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I don't know why people keep spreading this around because it's not true.
    You DO NOT have to buy US games to get Hi Def. Any game that supports 720p or 1080i will do so in the UK version too, so long as you have your Xbox in NTSC video mode (e.g. using the soft mod).

Unfortunately there are only a handful of games that bother with the Hi Def modes. Examples that I have are Soul Calibur 2 (only 4:3 though) and Freedom Fighters (awsome in full 16:9).

I believe that Dragons Lair and Enter The Matrix will do 1080i, but they are both c**p games by all accounts, so I haven't bothered to try them.

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected in that case. I haven't tried any 720p/1080i games myself yet and merely quoted what has been circulated. If what you say is true then that's great!! Shame there's not nore options though...

8. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think its worth upgrading just to get 480p, I thought that was a massive difference - not to metntion the amazing amount of other things a modded box will do...

9. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a modded Xbox purely for this reason, HI DEF.

I can confirm that 95% of UK games run in 480p Progressive scan and the few games that support it (Amped 2, Dragons Lair, MX Unleashed etc) also run in 720p and 1080i.

It amazes me that Microsoft have not sorted this out. All I have done is switched my UK Xbox to NTSC mode and the games look simply fantastic.

Go for it, when you see Amped 2 running you will be blown away. It looks like a PC game, very very sharp.

10. richard2317

richard2317

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a UK PAL (currently unmodded XBox) and a projector. Would like to play in High Def (have the HD pack already). Sounds like all I need to do is get a mod done, change the video setting to NTSC and the high def settings become available. BUT..., do I have to keep the mod switched on to stay in NTSC (i,.e nice high def images) or not? Only ask, because obviously would be nice to be able to play on XBL in High Def, but if the mod has to stay on then likely to get banned. Am hoping that it maintains the video setting even when you turn the mod off. Is this true?

Otherwise will have to get myself an NTSC XBox, NTSC games and a step down converter to play in HD on XBL I guess.

Thanks for your advice on this.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,955
    There's a long post on all of this (linked to in post 3 by deckard). :thumbsup:

12. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    richard2317, you can indeed switch the Videomode to NTSC, then turn the modchip off and play your PAL games in 480p etc on xbox live without being banned.Most new Modchip will allow you to change Videomode from their bios screen, if not a app called enigmah videomode select will do it for you.

The only problem is 480p looks so good you will not want to entertain the handful of non 480p games available as they look awful in 480i.