Xbox has died, advice please.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a premium since launch and it has crashed a few times, but it happened twice the other night on COD2.
I got home yesterday and it is doing it after a couple of minutes after being switched on, EVERY TIME. I have tried HDD on/off, no disc in, unplugging everything etc etc, it is deinately knackered. I get the 3 red lights sometimes aswell.
I bought it from Gamestation, am I best to ring up MS or take it back to the shop. Do I keep the HDD and is all my stuff safe?
Can you give me the MS number?

Thanks.

Take it back to the shop, if you can. You've a 12 month warranty with the retailer. They are likely to replace it with a new one, hopefully allowing you to keep your HDD. GAME seem to be doing this with limited fuss.

I've heard tales of horror from people who have gone down the MS-route, ending up with a console looking like it's been run over, then dragged through a hedge. Someone here even mentioned finding pubes under the front panel of their reconditioned unit. :thumbsdow

I wonder what situation we could end up in if our beloved 360's go wrong outside of the 12 month warrenty?

Guess we'll just have to pay for it to be repaired, but will it have to go back to M$ or will somewhere like a computer shop be able to repair it?

I'm guessing it'd have to go back to M$, but if that's the case, how much are the charges going to be:rolleyes:

rimmep1 said:
Take it back to the shop, if you can. You've a 12 month warranty with the retailer. They are likely to replace it with a new one, hopefully allowing you to keep your HDD. GAME seem to be doing this with limited fuss.

i took mine back to Game and decided to let them take the hdd too in case that was contributing to the problem.they were really good about it.

my problems sound identical to yours jazz monkey.

Take it back to GS, just take the console and your receipt.

Tetlee - it has to work for what is deemed a reasonable amount of time, after the warranty you can demand a repair on the console if it fails just after, since a console is expected to work for upto 6 years.

Thanks NackNack(hmm, the Thanks tab's gone missing again). Reasuring.

jazz mate don't forget to post on the poll (at the top of the page)

please get it sorted soon ,your one of the few i can still whoop on cod2 ;) :D

signs said:
jazz mate don't forget to post on the poll (at the top of the page)

please get it sorted soon ,your one of the few i can still whoop on cod2 ;) :D

Hey cheeky.

Tried it again this aft...still locks up. I am rining MS to see what they say.

5 - 15 days without it. I might just buy another one to keep me going.

Sent mine off to MS last week - Got a replacement back in 4 days. Fine so far, no scratchs looks good as new. In fact it had a sticker over the infa red bit which made me wonder if it was a new console? Did anyone else get this on there replacement?

DO NOT SEND IT TO MS. This has just happened to me as well. I got mine from Game, I rang them up and explained the situation. They said bring it in and they will swap it out. They got a new boxed console out and put the dud back in that box. I cant see why you cant just swap the H/D as well. MS will give you a refurbished one, not new. Also Game gave me another receipt which gives me another 1yr warrany, so I was very happy with the service and you dont need to wait either :)

Good Luck

I tried this with Argos. (Took it back and asked for a new one.) They refused to exchange it, and then telephoned MS to arrange the pick up.

tomelli said:
I tried this with Argos. (Took it back and asked for a new one.) They refused to exchange it, and then telephoned MS to arrange the pick up.

Ive always found this as rather strange. We buy the goods from a shop (this case Argos) NOT microsoft. The shop buys them from Microsoft then sells them on at a further profit, therefore the contract you have entered into is with the shop NOT microsoft. The shop is responsible for faulty goods, they then contact Microsoft. I think alot of shop's are sidestepping the issue. If you had brought a Tefal iron that goes wrong, would they tell you to contact Tefal. No, they would exchange it, whats the difference??????
I found this, have a read. Maybe somebody knows something I dont to counter act this.

Your rights when things go wrong

If you buy goods from a trader and they are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or don't match their description, the trader will probably have to put things right. It is the trader who is responsible for this, and not the manufacturer. If a trader tells you the manufacturer is responsible, or that you have to make a claim on a manufacturers' guarantee, you do not have to accept this.

Depending on the circumstances, you may have one or more of the following rights:
to get all of your money back
to get some of your money back
to get the goods repaired
to get the goods replaced
to get compensation.

You will not have these rights if:
there is nothing wrong with the goods – you have just changed your mind about wanting them
you examined the goods, or a sample of the goods, when you were buying them, and the fault you want to complain about was so obvious that you should have noticed it
the trader pointed out the defect that you now want to complain about
you have damaged the goods yourself
the problem is the result of normal wear and tear
the goods have lasted for as long as could reasonably be expected.

In some situations, you only have limited rights when things go wrong with your goods. These include where you have bought them:
from a private individual - see under heading Buying goods from a private seller
at some auctions - see under heading Auctions
in the course of carrying out a business - see under heading Business to business sales
where goods have been given to you - see under heading The goods were a gift.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/problems_with_goods.htm

If you buy goods from a trader and they are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or don't match their description, the trader will probably have to put things right. It is the trader who is responsible for this, and not the manufacturer. If a trader tells you the manufacturer is responsible, or that you have to make a claim on a manufacturers' guarantee, you do not have to accept this.
I thought that, whilst retailers are strictly prohibited from restricting their liability for faulty/damaged goods, they were allowed to contract cutsomer support back to the producer provided a clear POC is specified? Naturally the retailer retains his responsbility so that should the producer fail to satisfy, the consumer still has right of action against the retailer.

Baileyuk said:
Sent mine off to MS last week - Got a replacement back in 4 days. Fine so far, no scratchs looks good as new. In fact it had a sticker over the infa red bit which made me wonder if it was a new console? Did anyone else get this on there replacement?

My replacement/s (2nd & 3rd) both came back with all the stickers on - IR and DVD Tray. Only the manufacture date got older with each one. I've gone from a Dec 2005 to an Oct 2005. Current one is faultless so far, no lockups, red lights, perfect (Thats it, tommora it'll die) although I've still got my spare XB360 I won on the Pepsi Max comp sitting still sealed as a spare :D

when i bought my 360 on friday from game they said any problems bring it back to them , they also said it didnt matter about receipt as they can track it back on my game card (WHICH I DIDNT BELIEVE)

Pitty my 360 didnt get me more that £12.50 on my game card...lol

I am sending mine back to MS, the retailer doesn't have to exchange it after the 28 days, thy would only send it back to MS anyway.

when mine went faulty i went to game and they replaced it straight away, and after 6 months which i thought was great service. Now the tray is not ejecting all the time, it doesnt matter if it is on its side or lying down. Does anyone know if game will exchange a second time?

Houghsx said:
DO NOT SEND IT TO MS. This has just happened to me as well. I got mine from Game, I rang them up and explained the situation. They said bring it in and they will swap it out. They got a new boxed console out and put the dud back in that box. I cant see why you cant just swap the H/D as well. MS will give you a refurbished one, not new. Also Game gave me another receipt which gives me another 1yr warrany, so I was very happy with the service and you dont need to wait either :)

Good Luck

GAME gave you another NEW reciept as in with a date of purchase now being from the replacement date? Wow they didnt do that in mine...however I do have the extended warranty so I guess it would have messed that up as I transferred it over to the new console.

Jazz Monkey Jr said:
I am sending mine back to MS, the retailer doesn't have to exchange it after the 28 days, thy would only send it back to MS anyway.

Jazz NOOO!:lease:

Your contract is with the retailer. The "Statutory Rights" you hear about so often are part of that contract. One of the "implied terms" of the contract is that the goods are of "satisfactory quality", and failure at this time is a clear demonstration that the goods are not of satisfactory quality. This means that the retailer is in breach of their contract with you and you have the right to avoid the contract, return the goods, and get your money back. You can if you like enter a new contract with the same retailer, which is essentially what happens if you agree to exchange the dodgy 360 for a new one, or you can take your cash elsewhere and buy it from somewhere else. Either way, the clock resets! ie your rights start all over again from the time you enter a new contract. This is important because the right to reject the goods only last for a "reasonable period" (although for modern electronic goods this period is certainly at least as long as any manufacturer's warranty). Your rights under a manufacturer's warranty are always less than your statutory rights, and once you've accepted a replacement or refurbished console from MS, there's no going back.

I'm not sure where you got the 28 days idea from, but the good news (nice way of pointing out that you're completely wrong ;) ) is that its not true.

:oops:

The main reason I didn't go back to gamestations is because I can't be bothered to look for the receipt, and it is 20 miles away and I haven't got time to go back to the shop.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom