1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by H4r7y, Dec 29, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trying to put a 120gb drive into a mates xbox.
    but all i get is gragging with the slayer disc in the dvd rom. its a used drive that has had windows on it etc. is there anything special to do to it?
    would i need to format it in a pc or something?
    its one of the first xbox's with a XBIT mod in it with switches on the back, do these have any effect on the drive working right?

cheers

:)

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    no, what you will need to do is make sure that the drive has no partitions on it. The drive mustnt have anything on it at all, it doesnt matter if it is used though.

The chips have very little effect on the working of a drive other than the bios used, may be worth checking he has a decent X2 bios on it (4981 upwards are good) although this wont cause a problem probably.

What actually happens? Does the disk load at all? I find the easiest way to format a drive is with one of my own disks but thats not relevant here really.

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks EL, he hasnt actually formatted the drive, just deleted everything from it in windows. i will try to format it fully on my machine first as i have all the stuff to do it at mine

many thanks for the info though matey
    :thumbsup:

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    mate, you cant just format it, you will probably need to remove the partition. You can delete the partition by right clicking on the hard drive in 'disk management' in windows xp. You can get the 'disk management' open by going through 'computer management' that is in 'adminitrative tools' in 'control panel'.

I have a feeling though that it is the way the slayers disk that was burnt that is the reason behind the errors. Most drive formatters (especially a recent slayers I would have thought) should be able to cope with the drive as it is.

Did you burn the image by opening the xISO? if you shove the disk into a PC you should see a default.xbe in the root of the disk.

If you burnt it manually, rather than opening the iso: Ensure you used true UDF mode with DAO and finalised the disk (also select 'xbox compatability mode' if using a recent version of nero)

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it turns out that the bloody xbox wont read the media weve used on it. so, currently trying out as much different discs as possible to get it installed.