• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

xbox hard drive game saves and gamer tag help.

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
hi all.

ok bear with me.

i recently bought a 360 from blockbuster. it turns out it was stolen. basically after i returned home the hard drive still had all the content on it. at first i just thought ok well obviously this is someone who has given up gaming and doesnt want his tag and is not as worried about data on hard drives as i am!

anyways i connect it to me router and load on the expasion packs from oblivion game of the year edition. i happily start playing and then about four days later i get a message from one of the old live tags buddies saying that this xbox is stolen. at first they accuse me of being the thief and i explain. i then ask for the guys number so that i can call him which i duly did.

next step was to contact blockbuster. the attitude of the staff in store was terrible. they didnt care and just got all defensive. all i wanted to do was explain that the xbox was stolen and i wanted to give the dude back his xbox. thankfully customer servivces were a lot more helpful and they have agreed to have me return the xbox and get a refund.

so here are my questions.

1. can i get my game saves off this hard drive and transfer them to another hard drive using a data transfer cable or a memory card?

i dont care about the achievments but i want to be able to load up the expansion pack onto a new hard drive and start playing from where i am now. my concern is that i have loaded the game and saved all the games under this guys tag.

does that matter. ie. if i create a new tag on a new hard drive can i just put the saves onto that regardless of the fact that they were saved under this other dudes tag?

i have already invested quite a bit of time in oblivion and i cant go back to the beginning it would do me in. i am just starting to get a decent amount of coinage got a house got some decent weapons and achieved quite a bit in the arena, mages guild and fighters guild. to return to being a slow pondering weak killed by rats type kind of guy would really break my heart:thumbsup:

please someone set my mind at ease and tell me what i want to do is possible.

cheers in advance.

Last edited:

The Bass

Prominent Member
I believe that saves are locked to gamertags so that people can't just use saves to get achievements. You're probably going to have to start again unfortunately.

You could buy a 64MB or any size memory card (offical MS) & then buy a transfer cable for mem cards ( PC/Laptop > USB > Mem card plugged in ) and transfer saves that way.

Most save games get locked to the one profile though, so you'll have to re-sign it to the new profile - i won't mention how to do this though as bundle save game with achievements and you get gamesaving so better not :)

As for DLC, if it is anything like arcade games it will be locked to the profile it was bought on so you'll have to contact MS to transfer it over to your new 360.

Ico.

Prominent Member
You can copy saves over using a memory card... but I'm not sure if you can move them between gamertags. You certainly cannot move gamerscore between tags!

My 1st move would have been to create my own gamertag anyway... why play under someone else's tag?

You can copy saves over using a memory card... but I'm not sure if you can move them between gamertags. You certainly cannot move gamerscore between tags!

My 1st move would have been to create my own gamertag anyway... why play under someone else's tag?

If you transfer a save from one profile, log out and then go to a new profile the save game won't show at all on the MC or work ingame ;) unless it is one of the 4% or so games that didnt get locked.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Firstly, Congrats on being so honest, would have been so easy ignore it all and start ur own gamertag or delete friends and change the gamertag. So nice one for that. :smashin:

No u cant swap gamesaves to another profile (or at least not easily and legit), ive tried it with one of mine to see.
So when u get ur new 360 welcome to xboxlive it's damn great. :smashin:

Firstly, Congrats on being so honest, would have been so easy ignore it all and start ur own gamertag or delete friends and change the gamertag. So nice one for that. :smashin:

No u cant swap gamesaves to another profile (or at least not easily and legit), ive tried it with one of mine to see.
So when u get ur new 360 welcome to xboxlive it's damn great. :smashin:

Easily & Not-Legit however.. ;) :rotfl: :D

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
Easily & Not-Legit however.. ;) :rotfl: :D
can you pm me and tell me how to do it please as it would appear it is taboo on the forum.

here is another question if i cloned the drive using a data transfer cable could i just not use the gamer tag to play oblivion and never log on to live because the only thing the other dude was worried about was his gamer tag.

ie i transfer all the data over to a new drive and then just keep playing under his tag without his knowledge or even better get his permission and just keep playing but never log onto live? this would only work if you can have your gamer tag and profile loaded up onto more than one drive beacuase he is going to want to play under his tag. i hope you get my gist as i arent sure i have explained myself clearly here.

although the non legit way of transferring the game saves is prefferable.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ico.

Prominent Member
never had an xbox before didnt think it was that important.:suicide:

No problem... I didn't realise when I started that it'd cost to change the gamertag name. Chose the closest thing to ICO it'd let me have and have wanted to change it for 3 years or so... I'm not paying £7 for the privilege though.:rolleyes:

I didn't even know what gamerpoints were for around a month... I did see a number next to my tag but didn't know why it changed sometimes.:suicide:

The Bass

Prominent Member
I didn't realise when I started that it'd cost to change the gamertag name. Chose the closest thing to ICO it'd let me have and have wanted to change it for 3 years or so... I'm not paying £7 for the privilege though.:rolleyes:
Same here, only I didn't know two years ago that people made nicknames etc. as I had barely ventured onto the internet :D

Now I'm stuck with my initials :thumbsdow

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
right i have a solution. i have just spoken to microsoft.

i can transfer all the data from one hard drive to another return the drive to the original owner and as long as i never log onto live i can continue to play the game and the original gamer tag owner can use it as normal. this way i get to play the game out to the end and then just delete the profile.

no passwords or anything else are required as the drive should be cloned and work out of the box as it does now. so even if the dude doesnt give me his permission i can still can finish oblivion from where i am now.:thumbsup: result.

now comes the begging. can anyone lend me a data transfer kit?

more than happy to pay for the price of postage and a pint for your good self.:lease:

Ico.

Prominent Member
The data transfer kits reformats the original HD and wipes all the info on that drive and moves the data to the new drive though doesn't it?

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
does it?

if it does then that isnt a problem as i can always say that i deleted the old drive as i had personal stuff that i had loaded on there. he can then contact microsoft to get all the paid for content redownloaded onto the drive once again as i wont be touching it or going near live.

ok here is a scenario... i create a profile (my gamer tag) on your xbox at your house which is my main profile (my gamer tag) at my house and have my game saves on memory card. i have my game and want to play it on your xbox. surely i would just log in under my gamer tag and load the disc and start playing? as long as your xbox was not connected to live you could then log on to my profile anytime you liked and use my game saves and this would not affect me back at my house using my profile. am i right or wrong here?

what i am asking is that my profile could be on as many xboxs as i liked but only one at a time could log into live?

Last edited:

ParaNoiA

Established Member
surely his gamer tag being on the drive is his proof the xbox was his and indeed stolen ?

Ico.

Prominent Member
does it?

if it does then that isnt a problem as i can always say that i deleted the old drive as i had personal stuff that i had loaded on there. he can then contact microsoft to get all the paid for content redownloaded onto the drive once again as i wont be touching it or going near live.

ok here is a scenario... i create a profile (my gamer tag) on your xbox at your house which is my main profile (my gamer tag) at my house and have my game saves on memory card. i have my game and want to play it on your xbox. surely i would just log in under my gamer tag and load the disc and start playing? as long as your xbox was not connected to live you could then log on to my profile anytime you liked and use my game saves and this would not affect me back at my house using my profile. am i right or wrong here?

what i am asking is that my profile could be on as many xboxs as i liked but only one at a time could log into live?

And trash all his game saves.:eek:

Live is a great attraction of the 360... are you sure you never want to play on Live?

The Bass

Prominent Member
That should work then as far as completing the game. If you aren't connected to Live then there is no way the guy can be affected by anything you do.

Ico. I think he just wants to finish his game from where he is and then he'll make a new account of his own to play Live.

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
That should work then as far as completing the game. If you aren't connected to Live then there is no way the guy can be affected by anything you do.

Ico. I think he just wants to finish his game from where he is and then he'll make a new account of his own to play Live.

yep you hit the nail on the head.

the proof it is his xbox will be the serial number.

so i am right? does that mean if i use his account on my new xbox to complete oblivion and as long as i arent on live it wont cause him any probs? this is what microsoft told me but i would like clarification.

is it true transferring data to a new drive wipes the old one? i will give the guy a call tomorrow and see if he is willing to allow me to use his gamer tag to finish the game. i would prefer not to delete his drive:)

i have though invested over 60 hours in this game in less than 8 days and am rocking and rolling and not prepared to start again.

the dude didnt even want his xbox back as it would appear the insurance company were going to replace it. he didnt even say thanks.:cool:

Last edited:

The Bass

Prominent Member
i have though invested over 60 hours in this game in less than 8 days and am rocking and rolling and not prepared to start again.

the dude didnt even want his xbox back as it would appear the insurance company were going to replace it. he didnt even say thanks.:cool:
60 hours! I assumed for some reason you were 10 hours in tops, no wonder you weren't going to start again :D

So are you keeping the xbox?

Ico.

Prominent Member
If the original owner changes his password would that lock you out?

The 1st thing I'd do if my 360 was stolen is change my password... anybody could download content with any credit cards registered to that account otherwise.:suicide:

The 1st thing I'd do if my 360 was stolen is change my password... anybody could download content with any credit cards registered to that account otherwise.:suicide:

Yeah, would come up on the 360 as someone else has recovered the account - and obviously you wouldnt be able to recover it back unless you knew the password.

Yep, i dont have any CC related info on any of my tags for that reason - unbelievable that MS dont have real security :suicide: then don't even give any support to victims of this.

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member

bear in mind that i dont intend to go on live at all while i am playing this game so any settings change would not affect me. anyway i will give him a buzz tomorrow and let ya know what happens.

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
60 hours! I assumed for some reason you were 10 hours in tops, no wonder you weren't going to start again :D

So are you keeping the xbox?

no i aint keeping it but i may transfer all the data from this hard drive to my new one or alternatively ask him to provide his gamer tag password so i can continue to play the game offline. worst case scenario is i will go down the route of copying the saves to my own live account using google as my friend it actually would be cheaper than buying a data transfer cable.

yes i mean i have been playing this game non stop it is the only reason i bought the thing after completing morrowind and wanting more of the same. these are the first games i have played in about 15 years. the last game i was ultra hooked on was the original doom:D. so it is not like i am just starting.

i have put in a lot of hard work to get where i am like three hours hunting down farging fish in a lake that wouldnt spawn in the right place just for a damn ring:D (although i can see this game going on for another 200 hours at least). in fact i will probably be on it for another hour tonight before bed knackered as i am.

just about to get me butt wipped by an imperial hero in the arena so must dash....

Last edited:

Codehead

Distinguished Member
:thumbsup: For being so honest, I bet the original owner will be chuffed to get his box back.

[Arena Spoiler]
Talk to the Orc in the Bloodworks and do his subquest, it's worth it if you are going to complete the Arena storyline.
[/Arena Spoiler]

Ico.

Prominent Member
Do you have the "Nights of the Nine" and "Shivering isles" DLC?

I don't think you'll be needing the horse armor though.:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom