1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**xbox guru needed**

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lei179, Oct 18, 2004.

1. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Guys,
    I was given an xbox with Error code 7,having a modded xbox myself i thought i could make this work,but so far no go .I think the hd is dead no power going to it.Is there a way i could use my old hd from my xbox it this machine,otr will i have to mod the new one and put in another hd??

Cheers.

Lei

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    error code 7 does indeed mean that the HDD initialisation has timed out.

Your hard drive might be f***** or the connections could be loose.

I dont understand what you mean about putting your old hd in the xbox? If you still have the hd that came with the xbox it will go back in fine but wont have much info on it. If it is from another xbox then it wont work in your xbox until you unlock it...

3. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If it is from another xbox then it wont work in your xbox until you unlock it...[/QUOTE]

The "old" harddrive is the original ms hd from my modded xbox it has evox installed,is there a way i can use this??.

When i plug it into the new xbox i get error code 6.In the modded machine it works fine,so could i unlock this hd for use in the "broken" xbox.???

LEI

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yes.
    Put it back in your modded xbox - then run something like AVAlaunch. It has the option to lock and unlock hard drives in the settings (main settings i believe).

Error code 6 means the xbox drive is unlockable (this is understandable given the xbox doesnt know the unlocking code).

Another note - if the xbox you were given isnt modded then it wont be able to use an unlocked hard drive. For an unmodified xbox to boot it needs a hard drive that is locked - and it must be locked to the specific xbox. When you mod it the the xbox 'stops caring' whether the drive is locked or not. It still cant unlock one that it doesnt have the code for though.

Hope that makes sense.

5. daz500

daz500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was done to the xbox that you were given? It sounds as if the xbox hasn't been chipped (chipped xboxes work with an unlocked hard drive).

If an attempted soft modification was done on the xbox then it's possible that the drive wasn't locked properly. Can you ask the person who gave you the xbox if they took a back-up of the EPROM.bin file?

The problem is that an xbox hard drive is locked to the xbox EEPROM. Bascially, you need the original hard that came with the xbox so that it can boot up. When the xbox loads up it is possible to hack it, get the EEPROM and then run a utility to lock any drive to the xbox.

If all else fails, buy yourself a solderless modchip and install it..... Hey presto, one dead xbox resurrected :clap:

6. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So it is as i thought,ill have to mod the new xbox to make it work with another harddrive,is this correct ??

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  8. daz500

daz500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unless the original owner took a backup before fiddling with the xbox

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How is the owner supposed to have taken a backup when the xbox is unmodified?

10. daz500

daz500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies :oops: . Code 7 means that the xbox is not reading the hdd at all. For some reason I mixed it up with a unlocking error.

Double check that the jumper is set to cable select 'CS' and that there aren't any loose connections.

Sounds like the disc is dead and a modchip is required.