Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Xbox graphics

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Greg Hook, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Hi

Currently have a PS2, not wishing to start a debate on XBox vs PS2, so will delete if it becomes that.

Just want to know the quality of the graphics on the XBox compared to the PS2. Don't want to know about playability, ease of use, games available etc etc. Just interested in how the graphics compare. I know it varies between games, some may not use the graphics power to the max, so take the game with the best graphics from each console.

For example, using PC resolutions, is it something like PS2 800 x 600, vs XBox 1024 x 768?

Thanks
    Greg

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Most multiformat games look a bit better on the Xbox - usually more stable framerates and better texture quality. But, IMO, the better texture quality is irrelevant because the Xbox's RGB output is crap compared to other consoles; it's very washed out and dull

But games designed exclusively for the Xbox look fantastic, generally much higher quality than the PS2 and probably better than what the GC is capable of. The Xbox just isn't getting pushed at all though, and instead of trying to rinse out every bit of power like Sony, Sega and Nintendo would do, Microsoft are almost giving up and focusing on Xbox 2 instead

That's my honest opinion anyway - no bias, and no prejudice since I own and like all three current consoles

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Great, thanks for the reply.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also own all 3 consoles, and i must say that most games do look better on the xbox, but there are exceptions though as im sure you were expecting as in gran turismo 4 has completely blown me away as i thought we'd seen the best graphics come from the ps2 a while ago, but gt4 looks pretty darn good.
    i agree with RL123, it does seem a bit of a let down when microsoft are now moving on to their next console before getting the best out of the xbox.
    hopefully we'll see better things come out of the xbox before it becomes extinct.
    :)

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I agree. PS2 fans who think the PS2 looks better than the XBox are delusional. The XBox HAS to be better since it is phisicaly more powerful. The graphics chip is newer the CPU is faster and has more memory.

That is the end of that.

I also own all 3 systems and a decent PC so dont bitch people!

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I've got all 3 as well :laugh:sad isn't it ;) . All I can say is Burnout3 looks very very good on my Ps2 now I've used the RGB scart again, if the Xbox is even slightly better it will be amazing.

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    So, correct me if I am wrong, my conclusions from all your replies are that Xbox games should be better quality in theory due to the power of the machine, but in practice the PS2 is actually better or just as good.

If thats right then it saves me buying the XBox.

Thanks
    Greg

8. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Should be miles better. In practice, multi-format games usually look better (slightly) but this is offset by the terrible RGB output. Exclusive games, or games where the Xbox version has been designed from the ground-up for the Xbox, look fantastic. Splinter Cell, for example, looks far better on the Xbox.

But, it's not necessarily any better than what the PS2/GC are capable of. I've still not seen an Xbox game that looks as smooth as F Zero GX (at that kind of speed, with 30 opponents on the track) or anything that looks as good as GT4 does in motion

Like I said though, considering the Xbox is a lot more powerful it should be producing games that look much better than the PS2/GC equivalents, but Microsoft aren't pushing developers to get that extra bit of performance out of the big black brick ( :p )

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    It's worth buying an x-box just for Halo2 (well it will be). And I think you might have got the wrong impression, the x-box trounces the PS2 graphically. For the price these days it's a must buy!

Andy

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Depends on the game at the end of the day. If its a PS-2 port onto Xbox then it will look the same. However if you look at a game like Burnout3 the Xbox graphics are clearly better, although not by much, thanks to excellent work by Criterion. If you tried to do a game like Halo on the PS-2 though it would look pretty poor. Check out RS3 on both Xbox and PS-2. PS-2 looks alot worse. However even though the games don't look so good interms of playing Burnout3 is equal to the Xbox version as is RS3.

Neil.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The exclusive xbox titles blow me away. Pick up a copy of Ninja Gaiden and you will see what I mean. Words can't describe that game!

If you are after amazing graphics, buy a graphics card for your PC and get Far Cry.

12. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,843
    Generally, XBox gets the nod on most multi-platform games for graphics, framerate, loading times, etc. It fairs a lot better on dedicated titles. But if you're looking at graphics as the sole reason to purchase, then maybe its not the right choice.

However, if you want to experience games such as Halo, Knights of the old Republic, Ninja Gaiden, Fable, etc on a console, then Xbox is definitely worth a dabble.

13. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't want to be the first to say this :laugh: You're completely right though.

If anything persuades me to buy the Xbox version, it's the DD5.1 sound. Graphical differences are negligable, at best. But the Xbox version will always sound better

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Eh? How so, the PS2 can be connected to an AV processor using any optical lead you have lying about, the Xbox does not even have a digital out without buying more kit unless I've missed something :confused:
    Prologic2 sounds superb :clap:

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Noone has mentioned xbox live. Better than most pc games online IMO, in the respect that games don't drop all the time, and the hassle free nature of it. Unlike gamespy where you have to search and search for a game with a low ping and stuff like that!

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    PS2 can only manage 4.0 in some games, a couple have proper DD5.1, but pretty much every xbox game has 5.1 on it, in game!

17. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    First point, graphical differences - chipped xboxes do progressive scan and some to hi-def. A big plus in gfx quality.

Second point, As for digital sound, ps2 does not do 5.1 surround during game, it does occasionally do DTS (I can think of 1 title - SSX) and thats about it. It just does PCM during optical out.
    Xbox does proper 5.1
    Oh, and I have all 3 consoles too. Sad I know.
    Azzo.

18. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    xbox = PES4 Online = Ps2 owned surely?

unless your a raving funboy who doesnt like football :devil:

19. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont forget the gamecube though... i think metroid prime 6ohz looks amazing, and is up there with halo (maybe even better!). I also have owned all 3 consoles, plus a a dreamcast, but I got rid of the ps2 after a few months - i was very dissappointed with it.

I thought the performance of the ps2 was poor - I got jedi starfighter and i couldnt believe that there was slowdown. Also Red Faction loaded in new sections when you went to a new location - this ruined the gameplay for me. I know im moaning but i think the gc is a good machine and not many people are making new games for it -ie like burnout 3, sw battlefront or republic commando.

however i think im gonna by a pc aswell so that might not be problem
    only that pcs cost a fortune - if only you could get sw battlefront on the mac!

does anyone else agree about the gc? or is there a tauntaun chance in hoth sw battlefront will be on mac??

20. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Greg,

There's not a huge amount to add to what everybody else has said: exclusive titles designed for and optimised to the Xbox are visually incredible although it could be said that because of the quality of development tools provided by MS from the word go, the leap in visual advances from one generation to the next won't be as massive as say, the visual evolution seen in the first PS2 games compared to GT3 and now titles like Burnout 3 et al.

From day one, the Xbox was comparatively easy to program so the bell and whistles are easy to exploit. The PS2 has followed the more traditional curve of console graphic evolution where the developers really only start pushing the machine as it's about to be replaced! (For example, the SNES, N64 and PS1 all revealed their greatest technical achievements near the end, generally when Rare were involved!)

Although current generation Xbox games do look better than those of the launch era, I'd be surprised if the games we see a year from now look that different to those of today.

I love my PS2, Xbox and Cube (yup, another one with all 3) and in terms of enjoyment, I'd say my PS2 has been more entertaining than my Xbox over the years. To put it in perspective, I've bought over 40 games for my PS2 and only about 5 for the Xbox. Of course on the Xbox you have Halo (1/2), Project Gotham Racing 2, and definitive versions of Splinter Cell. Xbox Live is phenomenal and as much as it pains me to say it, Sony really lost out on the network aspect.

For multi-platform titles released on the same day, you'll tend to find they are technically very similar except the Xbox version may have slighter sharper textures, the GameCube version might have more eye-pleasing lighting effects and the PS2 version will the marginally poorer of the 3. The Xbox version will probably offer 5.1 surround while the other two have DPLII support only. Because most current multi-platform games are developed with middleware such as Renderware or proprietary in-house systems, they are generally developed for the lowest common denominator which means texture variety is limited to the available memory offered by the PS2.

I believe there are areas where the PS2 graphics processor can trounce the Xbox though. An emerging technique for landscape generation uses procedural geometry to generate vast areas of detailed scenery which is one area the PS2's incredible vector units with their 2000+ bit data bus can wipe the floor with most other architectures. Of course, this is a technique that will perform better on PS2 than the other 2 consoles so for a cross-platform title, you're less likely to see it!

Proper ports from PS2 to Xbox, i.e. Vice City, look great on Xbox because they concicously upped the variety and sharpness of textures. Same great game though. Conversely, going from Xbox to PS2 is generally quite "damaging". SC: Pandora Tomorrow pushes the Xbox in terms of realtime lighting effects which the PS2 just can't cope with. As such, they produced a highly polished PS2 port but actually had to tweak the levels a bit to make sure that having less lighting (and therefore less shadow casting) didn't make the game too easy.

One option that might significantly boost Xbox graphical quality is to get a US machine (I think you can also use a chipped PAL machine but can't say so for sure) then use the high definition pack which allows you to take advantage of the Xbox nVidia chip's 480p, 720p and 1080i modes in games. Microsoft decided that because we don't have HDTV in the UK yet, they would just explicitly disable that feature on our consoles :(

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Colin

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    The X-Box can output higher resolution graphics, with better textures at a higer frame rate. As has been said, most cross platform games look better on the X-Box and the X-Box exclusive titles look even better!

The PS2 does have some great looking games though, where the developers have squeezed every ounce of power & used ever trick in the book whilst creating them - GT4, FFX & FFX-2 all look awesome through PS2 RGB or Component Connections.

I can't understand anyone who would buy a console solely based on it's graphical ability but it is a huge bonus as long as the quality of games is there. IMO the X-Box is now getting some superb games such as PES4, Outrun2, Forza Motorsport, Halo 2 etc and already has some great titles like Topspin, Halo, PGR2 & Ninja Gaiden. I will be hopefully getting an X-Box soon so that I can play my fave game PES online. Up until now the PS2 has been my fave console, simply because it was the only place that I could play PES3 - not any more though!

22. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Pretty good points being made :p

One big advantage both GC and X-Box over the PS2 is load times, I think that is my biggest problem with the PS2 it takes so long to load a level or get into a game!!!

Graphically, I don't really see a [bold]huge[/bold] difference between the consoles, the PS2 still manages to surprise me sometimes. Certainly there is no comparison between any of the three consoles and a ninja PC.

Played the demo of Outrun 2, I think even I will buy an X-Box when that comes out, simply superb :)

23. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Have you tried it with the Xbox pad :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh how we :laugh:

24. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    PS-2 has DTS and progressive scan in a huge number of US games - these get chopped for PAL releases. Infact all the US titles that I own 25+ have progressive scan.

25. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It might be harder with the xbox pad but i bet me & Duke could still have you on it Neil :laugh:

As people have said you can gat an adaptor to use your ps2 pad on your xbox, but as someone pointed out where will we plug are headset in?

26. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jason,
    For sure, I'm pants at footy games, but the xbox pad is a joke with PES, I played it at Gamestars.

Neil.

27. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    To be honest having no comms could be a good thing. I f'ing fed up with having ignorant ****s breathing down their mic, having conversations with other fools, or having some anal **** poor techno bass music thumping in the background, or even worse an echo loop from having the volume on the tv too loud. I really wish Microsoft had put a button on so that it was push to talk.

Neil

28. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Metroid Prime in HD mode is simply the nicest graphics ever made on a console, nothing holds a candle to it.

Neil.

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    You have a point regarding PS2 load times Sinzer, they can be rather long especially in a game like Burnout 3 where you are restarting & loading up new levels all of the time. Then again I used to put up with wy 20 min load times on the speccy so I guess it's not too bad. :D

30. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes Neil people like that really get me mad aswell, but i normally only play live with friends and if people like that join KICK lol