1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox gonna die???

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by phetttt, May 7, 2005.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

got 2 new games for my xbox, revenge of sith & lego star wars, but if i make any progress the dvd drive starts to stutter the games slow down eventually leading to - "your disc is either dirty or damaged"

Both are brand new games.

It also happened with serious sam - in fact it was unplayable, and it happens alot with midway arcade treasures. Strangely, with PGR2 it happens rarely.

is my xbox dying??

ps this never happens with a gamecube :p

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like it could be dying unfortunately,,,, you can buy a replacement dvd drive off ebay and that would save you replacing the whole thing...

3. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

i got a refurbished thomson drive off ebay for £16 so i have installed it.

i was playing for an hour then the dreaded drive stutter started resulting in the dreaded 'disc is either damaged or dirty'

could it be overheating??

should i return the drive?

are xbox's generally unreliable?

any ideas would be appreciated…

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Really?!?! Gosh that is bad luck!

Ive heard of problems with xboxes, but I dont think there are particularly more problems than with a PS2 for example.

If you still get problems, try and borrow a disk cleaner and clean the drives, or clean the cds. I dont think overheating would cause this problem... Ill have a think about what could cause it and get back to you if I come up with anything...

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    They are certainly not unreliable. My launch xbox is still going strong. I hope it continues to do so until xbox 2 is launched :rolleyes:

6. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks explicitlyrics, i only used it for 40 mins this time… perhaps someone is telling me to cut down on playing games ;) , so if anybody has an idea i would be grateful…

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If its faulty it probably aint worth repairing. Put t this way you are already £16 into that route and it dosnt seem to have helped. You could try taking it to a local computer fair and see if the mod people can repair for a reasonable price.

or buy a new one (Which is the route I would take)... I saw a nearly new Xbox Crystal going for £85 delivered with game extra controller and decent video cable recently.....

You could chop your existing one and sell for parts seperately on ebay Case, hard drive, rom drive motherboard, controller, video cable etc etc etc...

Probably get £30 - £40 to put towards the new one if you can be bothered.

8. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks harrisuk